Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which first team players would you let go at the end of the season?

personally i think Dunk will finally go this time. If we bring in White and/or Clarke Duffy would get more game time.Dunk has attracted interest from several clubs and a few commentators last week even suggested Arsenal should sign him..As much as i would love him to stay, I could easily see him walk into the first team at anywhere like Everton, Arsenal, Sheff Utd. Doubt he would want the "big move" to manu or chelski to sit on the bench though

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agree for the most part, except...

Sell Duffy and bring in one of Clarke or Ostigard. Duffy won’t want another season on the bench.
Keep Montoya. He is good backup at RB, Alzate is not really a right back.
Keep Propper. Obviously. No need then for a new CM unless we can find a significant upgrade.
Buy a striker. Murray will surely be scarcely used next season and moving more towards coaching.

If I would predict rather than wish, I think your version is closer to the truth.

Not sure if there's going to be a striker signing if Potter finds Gyökeres worthy. Probably going to play with only one striker in most games so its difficult to find real quality when they will have to compete with Maupay.

Think either they will just go for Gyökeres or pick up some tall, strong supersub kind of player. The 20 goals per season mega star wont be coming and that's fine. People underrate Connolly, he is already good and will only get better.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
My vision for next season's squad would be;

GK - Ryan (or a new number 1), Walton, Button OR Steele
RB - Lamptey, Montoya
CB - Dunk, White, Webster, Burn, Clarke
LB - New Signing, Bernardo
W - Trossard, Jahanbakhsh, New Signing, Izquierdo
CM - Propper, Mac Allister, Alzate, Stephens, Mooy, Molumby
FW - Maupay, Connolly, New Signing

Ostigard a loan to the Championship to get some game time in England. Gyokeres must have some value to sell, but he'll never be good enough for the Premier League. Button or Steele, whoever we could get some interest in can be flogged. Presumably Izquierdo will be able to move at some point next season. Gross doesn't fit any more so I can imagine he'll be picked up by a Bundesliga team, maybe Bielefeld being promoted from Bundesliga 2.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My vision for next season's squad would be;

GK - Ryan (or a new number 1), Walton, Button OR Steele
RB - Lamptey, Montoya
CB - Dunk, White, Webster, Burn, Clarke
LB - New Signing, Bernardo
W - Trossard, Jahanbakhsh, New Signing, Izquierdo
CM - Propper, Mac Allister, Alzate, Stephens, Mooy, Molumby
FW - Maupay, Connolly, New Signing

Ostigard a loan to the Championship to get some game time in England. Gyokeres must have some value to sell, but he'll never be good enough for the Premier League. Button or Steele, whoever we could get some interest in can be flogged. Presumably Izquierdo will be able to move at some point next season. Gross doesn't fit any more so I can imagine he'll be picked up by a Bundesliga team, maybe Bielefeld being promoted from Bundesliga 2.

Letting Bissouma go, brave and some might say foolish.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
personally i think Dunk will finally go this time. If we bring in White and/or Clarke Duffy would get more game time.Dunk has attracted interest from several clubs and a few commentators last week even suggested Arsenal should sign him..As much as i would love him to stay, I could easily see him walk into the first team at anywhere like Everton, Arsenal, Sheff Utd. Doubt he would want the "big move" to manu or chelski to sit on the bench though

Nice try....

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Schellotto - Not good enough
Montoya - If the right offer came along.
Duffy - Best for his career and for us as long as the fee is right.
Dunk - Probably his last chance of a big money move, again if the fee is right
Stephens - If we could get a good fee as others have moved past him but is good enough still.
Jahankabash - Not sure he is going to make it, again I'd only sell for the right fee and if he is here next season so be it.
Andone - Finished but injury will complicate things.
Button- Ryan needs pushing and Button will want to play time for a change
Locadia - Get what we can

Nine would be a lot of players to shift especially now and probably won't happen, but we need to make space for our promising youngsters and free up some cash for a striker, an attacking LB and especially some pace, if all nine went we would clearly need a RB too.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Most of this.

I really don’t think Solly is consistent at all, when given a start he just doesn’t perform well enough, however when he comes on from the bench he is more dangerous.

I wouldn’t get rid though, good cover, needs to improve his awareness - see Arsenal goal, but may yet make a reasonable wing-back.

The lack of use of Bernardo is a complete mystery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently, when he starts he often plays as wing back.
When he comes on as sub it's often as an attacker.

It isn't that he is inconsistent, just that he regularly plays completely different roles.
This has probably hindered his development as an out and out attacking force, but he has massively improved as a defender.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
If I were to make a prediction it would be that the trsnsfer window is going to be a lot less busy than most are predicting or wanting. Talk of 9 leaving is fantasy. The market will be slow and prices depressed so not a good time to sell anyway.

I can understand the view on Duffy given our othrr options and the way we play.

I dont know why so many want rid of Ali J just as he appears to be coming good and at a time when we would take a big loss on him.

Anyway I'll happily leave the actual business to our dxperts.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Release Propper. You are joking I hope. Is pure class. He is an International player why would we get rid of him.

I’ve never been Propper’s biggest fan and I think probably because I’ve misunderstood him. People say he’s role is understated but I’ve always thought that doesn’t really explain the value of his game. What I’ve come to appreciate about his game, is that I think he’s excellent at shaping the way we play, I think he underpins our ability as a team to move the ball and how we move it.

I think the Leicester game was a good example. When the team were tiring in the second half, we’d started resorting to more direct passes over the top. And Leicester were definitely getting on top of us at that point. When Propper came on, his movement and support in midfield allowed the team to start moving the ball much better. Instead of direct balls, we could start holding the ball up and playing into Leicester’s half without giving away possession. All of sudden instead of giving the ball away and Leicester breaking against us (one of their strengths), we were able to keep the ball away from them and make them chase us. It definitely shifted momentum back towards us.

I think the reason we haven’t seen the best of Propper yet is because we need a better number 10. It’s all well and good moving the ball around, but as we’ve all seen, it’s no good if you haven’t got an end product. That needs to be provided though a link from midfield to attack. Which is my opinion our weakest area. Instead of spending a lot of money in the summer on a striker, I think we should spend large on getting a creative number 10.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
If I were to make a prediction it would be that the trsnsfer window is going to be a lot less busy than most are predicting or wanting. Talk of 9 leaving is fantasy. The market will be slow and prices depressed so not a good time to sell anyway.

I can understand the view on Duffy given our othrr options and the way we play.

I dont know why so many want rid of Ali J just as he appears to be coming good and at a time when we would take a big loss on him.

Anyway I'll happily leave the actual business to our dxperts.

FWIW I don't think 9 will go either but I do think we need to start making some space for our promising youngsters and its a big summer for Dunk and Duffy for differing reasons. As for Ali I'm all for giving players a chance but he's played 27 games in 2 seasons and cannot even get into the 18 man squad currently. There must come a point where we decide he isn't going to make ir? I just don't see a place for him especially if we want to move up the table. He shows flashes of ability for sure but he cannot get in front of March, Mooy or Gross currently, add McA, Alzate and possibly even Izzy back into the mix and its hard to see a future for him?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This has to be Murray's last season shirley. And an upgrade on Stephens' negative play would be more than welcome. Tho doubtless some statto will now tell me that Stephens has already signed a new deal and that we have to suffer that level of negativity for n more years. Which would be disappointing. Plenty more decent more positive players out there.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
There is likely to be lots of free transfers happening because clubs will want to get non-playing high earners off their books.
If a player can find another club to match his existing wages I'm sure many clubs will be willing to release them for free or hugely discount their selling price.

Players like Shane Duffy will probably go for half the value that he would have cost 6 months ago.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Get rid of the whole team and make a fortune at the same time. There are clearly people on here that could easily play better than what we already have. Trials start week after current season finishes.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'm glad the sun's been shining for Alexis MacAllister. Hopefully he's settling into the club and getting used living in Sussex.
It would be lovely for the team to finish the season on a high and with Alexis comfortable in his surroundings before he returns to Argentina for an end of season break.

We want him looking forward to his return to Sussex for the new season.

(we need an Argentina flag emoticon)

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Sadly, I think Murray’s time with us is coming to an end. I’d offer him a role on the coaching staff ala Bruno but he may want one last hurrah, and who can blame him.

I’d ship out Button and Steele and promote Walton to challenge Ryan for the gloves.

I also think it’s time for Duffy to move on too. He’s great at what he does but it’s just not the Potter way.

I’d also think it’s time to part ways with Kayal, Stephens, Izquierdo and Andone if suitable replacements could be found. Torn on the notion of Gross being allowed the leave. At times he’s looked brilliant but he’s been way below par this season IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here