Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which first team players would you let go at the end of the season?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He's simply not consistent enough at this level. He will have one good game, then be dire for 5 or 6. He will look like a game changer coming off the bench one week, start the next game and be largely anonymous. Plus he still can't take a corner that beats the first man (it's ok we are used to it now as we've had a long list of players who struggle with that). I personally can't see him going anywhere as he's still got two years left on his contract and I don't think we'll get any offers for him this summer. He'll be 26 at the end of the season, I certainly don't expect him on current form to get a new deal as a 28 year old when his current deal finishes.

I liked your other post, but disagree with this. March is consistent. He always puts in a shift, and has certain good attributes: pace, discipline. His attacking play, however, is inconsistent or, more precisely, worse than inconsistent (your 1 in 5/6 seems accurate). Much of this is down to his lack of belief in his own ability. His goal/assist rate in the PL really is poor. I'd keep him, but he needs to play LWB or as a squad/utility player. While we're on LB/LWB, about the only thing I don't get about Potter's selections/favourites is the problem he has with Bernardo, who I think is one of the better players in our squad. I can only think of two explanations: the two have fallen out, or have problems with personalities; I've totally misjudged Bernardo's qualities. I suspect it's the latter, but would appreciate if someone could inform me as to why this is the case.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I liked your other post, but disagree with this. March is consistent. He always puts in a shift, and has certain good attributes: pace, discipline. His attacking play, however, is inconsistent or, more precisely, worse than inconsistent (your 1 in 5/6 seems accurate). Much of this is down to his lack of belief in his own ability. His goal/assist rate in the PL really is poor. I'd keep him, but he needs to play LWB or as a squad/utility player. While we're on LB/LWB, about the only thing I don't get about Potter's selections/favourites is the problem he has with Bernardo, who I think is one of the better players in our squad. I can only think of two explanations: the two have fallen out, or have problems with personalities; I've totally misjudged Bernardo's qualities. I suspect it's the latter, but would appreciate if someone could inform me as to why this is the case.

Totally agree and to repeat some previous posts - a fab Full/Wing Back in the making

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
He's simply not consistent enough at this level. He will have one good game, then be dire for 5 or 6. He will look like a game changer coming off the bench one week, start the next game and be largely anonymous. Plus he still can't take a corner that beats the first man (it's ok we are used to it now as we've had a long list of players who struggle with that). I personally can't see him going anywhere as he's still got two years left on his contract and I don't think we'll get any offers for him this summer. He'll be 26 at the end of the season, I certainly don't expect him on current form to get a new deal as a 28 year old when his current deal finishes.

I would keep March for one simple reason. In a year or so's time he will be the best left back this club has ever had.:bigwave:

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
I dont understand why people are so eager to get rid of March. Many of you seem disappointed he didnt turn into a world class player... and no, he didnt but its still a decent PL player able to do a good job in multiple positions. He is already a decent player and could still turn into a good one if he finds his position and understands his limits.

Decent? No

I like Solly & wish he would come good. But it has not happened & unlikely too. He is hardly a youngster now either.

Championship player not PL class.
First player I would get rid.

If he was not a local lad would he be getting such sympathy by some? Doubt it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Assuming we stay up - I would let these great servants go. We have to move forward ...

Murray , Stephens , AJ, March , Schelleto

£100M+ to replace them. You paying

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think AJ deserves another season, he’s been brilliant in the games he’s played, has a great attitude, a terrific pro.

I don’t know why he can’t make the bench.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Crofts is listed in the 25 man squad so he can help the U23’s if needed. He’s part of the coaching set-up. Will only be included in the 25 man list if a slot is available.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I think the answer to your question is Dan Burn. He has been excellent this season. He won’t play every game though so Bernardo will get his chance.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Most of this.

I really don’t think Solly is consistent at all, when given a start he just doesn’t perform well enough, however when he comes on from the bench he is more dangerous.

I wouldn’t get rid though, good cover, needs to improve his awareness - see Arsenal goal, but may yet make a reasonable wing-back.

The lack of use of Bernardo is a complete mystery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
£100M+ to replace them. You paying

The replacements for leaving first team players will increasingly be from the Academy. That's the point of it.

In addition football finances will have changed beyond recognition. Remember, most national leagues won't have the resources of the Premier League, and clubs will have to sell, even more than they already do. For example a player from say the French league who a year ago would have been £40m, might now be more like £20m. In addition Premier League finances will be stretched, meaning there will also be deflationary pressure on wages. Loads of that will depend on how impacted the other business interests of the chairmen are by Covid and how easily they can access loans and how much liquidity they have.

I don't think this summer will be a bad time to buy, but we will be selective.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We won't see many leave a handful or so, most of those will be replaced by youngsters from within the club already with a few signings. A striker and a fullback likely to be brought in, others coming from the academy

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

That really isn't true.

SollyStats.jpg

Solly's problem, for many, is that he is too consistent without ever hitting the heights his early appearances hinted at.
In reality they would rate him higher if he was hitting a 9 in one game and 4.5 in the next 4.

This is partially due to the role he has been asked to play.
He is our main utility player, covering multiple roles, but not making any one his own.
He was superb defensively under Hughton. Remember his shackling of Zaha?

Under Potter he has been asked to cover multiple positions/roles.
I suspect Potter wats players that have this versatility.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/122926/Show/Solly-March

I can't see him going anywhere.

Attachments

• SollyStats.jpg
    SollyStats.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 156

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think AJ deserves another season, he’s been brilliant in the games he’s played, has a great attitude, a terrific pro.

I don’t know why he can’t make the bench.

Someone speculated that he may have been the recent Covid 19 case and given additional time to recover.

interesting theory.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I know what you mean about Bernardo, but I guess Potter just rates Burn higher...which he is for heading clearances...?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Decent? No

I like Solly & wish he would come good. But it has not happened & unlikely too. He is hardly a youngster now either.

Championship player not PL class.
First player I would get rid.

If he was not a local lad would he be getting such sympathy by some? Doubt it.

Local lad, who scored the goal that sent us to the Premier League.
Should be enough to make him a legend.

He is a victim of his reserved, down to earth, personality, not his performance levels.
If he was beating his chest and playing to the gallery, he would be rated much higher by many on here.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The way I see it

Going =

Duffy. Sad, but would understand he wants to play more
Bernardo
Schelotto
Ali J
Balogun
Kayal
Trossard. (Speculative one here, I reckon he might end up in Italy)
Button
Steele
Walton
Clark
Gyokeres
Tau

Maybe

Stephens. Very much depends, whether GP sees Baluta or Molumby as able to step up and whether we're confident Alzate won't be out for a long time.
Montoya. If we can get someone to take on his sizeable contract

Staying (despite speculation otherwise)

Andone
Propper
Dunk
March
White
Murray
Connolly

Players to recruit

2 new GK's
1 left back