Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which first team players would you let go at the end of the season?

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
- Slash the transfer budget to some extent to cover Covid losses.

Funnily enough I was thinking the complete opposite. It will be a buyers market. With Tony's deep pockets we potentially have more cash available than many others in the league and have an opportunity to boost ourselves ahead of a few of them if we're prepared to shell out a bit.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Crofts - never understood why we had him taking up a slot anyway

Crofts is primarily employed as a player coach for the U23's. As we retain his player registration we lost nothing by naming him in the 25 man PL squad, which even with Crofts named is only 24 players. He is there to make up the numbers and play in a dire emergency. I very much doubt he'd ever play in the PL for us but its better to have him named and not use him than only have a 23 man squad, have some sort of injury crisis and not be able to use him.

With the youngsters coming up next season who will need to be named in the 25 man squad, that includes Mac Allister, Ben White and Steven Alzate I don't expect him to be named in our PL squad next season anyway, although he'd continue as a player coach for the U23's.

Schelotto and Kayal will be gone at the end of the season, I'm sure they'd have been offered one year deals now had we wanted to keep them. I expect Duffy will be sold on, but I don't think we will see too many others out, unless its on loan, like Locadia and Andone this season. It's simply not cost effective to release those players with time on their contracts as we'd have to pay them up, we might be shocked by offers for one or two but I don't see it.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What I would do:

Sell/release: Button, Steele, Schelotto, Montoya, Kayal, Pröpper, Trossard (loan?), Gross, Ali J, Izquierdo

Bring in: White, Molumby, Gyökeres + young GK and a CLASSY winger

Squad would look fine to me, a bit too much deadwood and bad squad balance atm so almost certain there will be more outs than ins. Big question is probably going to be about the midfield & wings where there's some difficult choices to be made..

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Assuming we stay up - I would let these great servants go. We have to move forward ...

Murray , Stephens , AJ, March , Schelleto

The plan is still to bring players through the academy/getting bargains from europe.
Not sure we can guarantee getting replacements in for the players you are suggesting other than Schelleto.
It will be interesting to see the type of players (if any) that get bought in.

Pains me to say it, but I suspect we will probably need to let Duffy go (for a decent fee), if Ben White is joining up with the first team.
Duffy will want to be starting more games and I'm sure there will be takers for him

March? leaving? Not a chance.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont understand why people are so eager to get rid of March. Many of you seem disappointed he didnt turn into a world class player... and no, he didnt but its still a decent PL player able to do a good job in multiple positions. He is already a decent player and could still turn into a good one if he finds his position and understands his limits.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I dont understand why people are so eager to get rid of March. Many of you seem disappointed he didnt turn into a world class player... and no, he didnt but its still a decent PL player able to do a good job in multiple positions. He is already a decent player and could still turn into a good one if he finds his position and understands his limits.

He's simply not consistent enough at this level. He will have one good game, then be dire for 5 or 6. He will look like a game changer coming off the bench one week, start the next game and be largely anonymous. Plus he still can't take a corner that beats the first man (it's ok we are used to it now as we've had a long list of players who struggle with that). I personally can't see him going anywhere as he's still got two years left on his contract and I don't think we'll get any offers for him this summer. He'll be 26 at the end of the season, I certainly don't expect him on current form to get a new deal as a 28 year old when his current deal finishes.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
This is somewhat of a silly exercise as who we get rid of depends on how much money we get for them. For example, I would be for selling Dunk if we someone was willing to pay 100 million...

However, if we wanted to just rank our players as it stands right now, I would say the following are on the weak bucket:

Schelotto, March, Gross, Stephans, Murray.

All have been great servants to the club. I know March has a lot of fans here and I think GP likes him too because he can play a lot of different roles, but for me, he is alright but not great at any of those positions. And this year, he seems more annoyed than usual for some reason.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Ryan, Walton, Sanchez. Steele, Button
Lamprey, Montoya, Bernardo, Burn. Schelotto
Dunk, Webster, White. Duffy
Bissouma, Alzate, Propper, Baluta. Stephens, Kayal
Mooy, Gross, MacAllister
March, Trossard. Izquierdo
Maupay, Connolley, Andone. Murray, Locadia

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
to help finance new players club needs to sell players. Value of our players high when in PL and need to move some on while this is case

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
1Mathew Ryan (G) - Keep
23Jason Steele (G) - Bye Bye
27David Button (G) - Bye Bye
2Tariq Lamptey (D) - Keep
4Shane Duffy (D) - See ya
5Lewis Dunk (D) - Keep
15Adam Webster (D) - Keep
21Ezequiel Schelotto (D) - Arrivederci
22Martin Montoya (D) - Cheerio
30Bernardo (D) - Keep
33Dan Burn (D) - Keep
52Jordan Davies (D) - ?
53Warren O'Hora (D) - ?
58Hayden Roberts (D) - ?
6Dale Stephens (M) - So Long and thanks
8Yves Bissouma (M) - Keep
10Alexis Mac Allister (M) - Keep
13Pascal Gross (M) - goodbye
18Aaron Mooy (M) - Keep
20Solly March (M) - Keep
24Davy Propper (M) - Keep
25Beram Kayal (M) - Bye Bye
39Soufyan Ahannach (M) - ?
45Taylor Richards (M) - ?
48Andrew Crofts (M) - Too Old off ya go
50Alex Cochrane (M) - ?
51Archie Davies (M) - ?
55Peter Gwargis (M) - ?
60Ryan Longman (M) - ?
71Jack Spong (M) - ?
72Teddy Jenks (M) - ?
92Todd Miller (M) - ?
7Neal Maupay (F) - Keep
11Leandro Trossard (F) - Keep
16Alireza Jahanbakhsh (F) - Keep
17Glenn Murray (F) - Coach/Player keep
19Jose Heriberto Izquierdo (F) - sadly let go
44Aaron Connolly (F) - Keep
46Steven Alzate (F) - Keep
49Romaric Yapi (F) - ?
56Bojan Radulovic (F) - ?

we obviously have Ben White to come back and keep, the ? I honestly dont know about or the guys currently on loan like the two at St Pauli

Jordan Davies, Archie Davies and Bojan Radulovic have already been released. Soufyan Ahannach left in January.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
1Mathew Ryan (G) - Keep
23Jason Steele (G) - Bye Bye
27David Button (G) - Bye Bye
2Tariq Lamptey (D) - Keep
4Shane Duffy (D) - See ya
5Lewis Dunk (D) - Keep
15Adam Webster (D) - Keep
21Ezequiel Schelotto (D) - Arrivederci
22Martin Montoya (D) - Cheerio
30Bernardo (D) - Keep
33Dan Burn (D) - Keep
52Jordan Davies (D) - ?
53Warren O'Hora (D) - ?
58Hayden Roberts (D) - ?
6Dale Stephens (M) - So Long and thanks
8Yves Bissouma (M) - Keep
10Alexis Mac Allister (M) - Keep
13Pascal Gross (M) - goodbye
18Aaron Mooy (M) - Keep
20Solly March (M) - Keep
24Davy Propper (M) - Keep
25Beram Kayal (M) - Bye Bye
39Soufyan Ahannach (M) - ?
45Taylor Richards (M) - ?
48Andrew Crofts (M) - Too Old off ya go
50Alex Cochrane (M) - ?
51Archie Davies (M) - ?
55Peter Gwargis (M) - ?
60Ryan Longman (M) - ?
71Jack Spong (M) - ?
72Teddy Jenks (M) - ?
92Todd Miller (M) - ?
7Neal Maupay (F) - Keep
11Leandro Trossard (F) - Keep
16Alireza Jahanbakhsh (F) - Keep
17Glenn Murray (F) - Coach/Player keep
19Jose Heriberto Izquierdo (F) - sadly let go
44Aaron Connolly (F) - Keep
46Steven Alzate (F) - Keep
49Romaric Yapi (F) - ?
56Bojan Radulovic (F) - ?

we obviously have Ben White to come back and keep, the ? I honestly dont know about or the guys currently on loan like the two at St Pauli

You forgot Matt Clarke

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
Solly is a (fantastic) modern left/wing back in the making.

Right now, I think Bernardo is better defensively and just as good going upfield. Perhaps if Solly concentrated on that one position and maybe spent a year in champions league playing every week in that position, he can become better than Bernardo. My opinion.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
- Walton to replace Steele or Button

- Molumby to replace Kayal

- Striker in as Locadia's loan has been extended by a year.

- Percy Tau work permit to be resolved one way or the other.

- White to replace Balogun.

- Clarke, Gyokeres, Ostigard - no idea ???

- One of Schelotto or Montoya to leave.

- Resolve whether Duffy wants to leave as he doesn't get many minutes now.

- Sing more young players for future seasons.

- Slash the transfer budget to some extent to cover Covid losses.

By the way, I read somewhere that next season is "Project Promotion" at Tony's Union SG - so I wonder if a loan or 2 will head to Belgium.

Sounds about right to me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
RE: Duffy
Ben White has to have 1st team Premier League football, he wasn’t tested enough in the Championship. Duffy would be behind him, Webster, Dunk & Burn. He won’t want to be stuck on the bench. He’ll be off (West Brom is my guess).

RE: Dunk
TB does not need £30m+. No need to sell.

RE: March
He lacks confidence. I think he has had his chance to step up to be a top 10 EPL player. Time to cash in.

RE: Stephens
Like Duffy, he’ll be behind Pröpper, Bissouma and probably Alzate. With the likes of Molumby & Baluta eager to take his place, I think a move would suit him. Brilliant servant to the club but lacks the mobility we need to push for a top 10 finish. Burnley would love him but he might pop up somewhere like Watford.

RE: Murray
He’ll be on cup duty and coaching his replacement (hope it’s Muriqi).

I agree with most of this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Solly is a (fantastic) modern left/wing back in the making.

There is nothing fantastic about March imo. He is a reasonable wing back and the most frustrating Albion winger I can recall. All the skills but neither the confidence or the fire in his belly for PL football. Flatters to deceive and occasionally shows some brilliance but for the main part he disappoints, as I say imo.

I won’t be too bothered if he is shipped out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here