Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which first team players would you let go at the end of the season?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Local lad, who scored the goal that sent us to the Premier League.
Should be enough to make him a legend.

He is a victim of his reserved, down to earth, personality, not his performance levels.
If he was beating his chest and playing to the gallery, he would be rated much higher by many on here.

My latest theory is we're to blame and Solly will come good in empty stadiums.
That's how much I want him to be the player we're told he is.

The bottom line though is with:-

11 career goals
19 assists
178 appearances,

he doesn't given himself the opportunity to play to the gallery.

With 12 Solly has more yellow cards than goals, for the Albion.

It saddens me to write that.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
If we keep Stevens, he has to stop giving the ****ing ball away, or I'm likely to smash my telly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1Mathew Ryan (G) - Keep
23Jason Steele (G) - Bye Bye
27David Button (G) - Bye Bye
2Tariq Lamptey (D) - Keep
4Shane Duffy (D) - See ya
5Lewis Dunk (D) - Keep
15Adam Webster (D) - Keep
21Ezequiel Schelotto (D) - Arrivederci
22Martin Montoya (D) - Cheerio
30Bernardo (D) - Keep
33Dan Burn (D) - Keep
52Jordan Davies (D) - ?
53Warren O'Hora (D) - ?
58Hayden Roberts (D) - ?
6Dale Stephens (M) - So Long and thanks
8Yves Bissouma (M) - Keep
10Alexis Mac Allister (M) - Keep
13Pascal Gross (M) - goodbye
18Aaron Mooy (M) - Keep
20Solly March (M) - Keep
24Davy Propper (M) - Keep
25Beram Kayal (M) - Bye Bye
39Soufyan Ahannach (M) - ?
45Taylor Richards (M) - ?
48Andrew Crofts (M) - Too Old off ya go
50Alex Cochrane (M) - ?
51Archie Davies (M) - ?
55Peter Gwargis (M) - ?
60Ryan Longman (M) - ?
71Jack Spong (M) - ?
72Teddy Jenks (M) - ?
92Todd Miller (M) - ?
7Neal Maupay (F) - Keep
11Leandro Trossard (F) - Keep
16Alireza Jahanbakhsh (F) - Keep
17Glenn Murray (F) - Coach/Player keep
19Jose Heriberto Izquierdo (F) - sadly let go
44Aaron Connolly (F) - Keep
46Steven Alzate (F) - Keep
49Romaric Yapi (F) - ?
56Bojan Radulovic (F) - ?

we obviously have Ben White to come back and keep, the ? I honestly dont know about or the guys currently on loan like the two at St Pauli

Clearly. :shrug:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Predictable gutting of the entire squad for many posters. Not sure what planet some of you live on.

Last summer only four first team players moved on, the only regular being Knockaert loaned out. Two of the others played fewer than 10 games and the last retired.

The only bit of sense going around is that Duffy may very well get sold, simply because he does not fit the style. Said with a heavy heart but it's noticeable every time he comes on we retreat 20 yards in fear and punt goal kicks instead of playing out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Someone speculated that he may have been the recent Covid 19 case and given additional time to recover.

interesting theory.

Classy player. Going nowhere.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
My latest theory is we're to blame and Solly will come good in empty stadiums.
That's how much I want him to be the player we're told he is.

The bottom line though is with:-

11 career goals
19 assists
178 appearances,

he doesn't given himself the opportunity to play to the gallery.

With 12 Solly has more yellow cards than goals, for the Albion.

It saddens me to write that.

Fair enough, but his role has become increasingly defensive.
Measuring his contribution on goals and assists is a little unfair.
Davy Propper has 2 goals and 7 assists in 100ish appearances.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Right now, I think Bernardo is better defensively and just as good going upfield. Perhaps if Solly concentrated on that one position and maybe spent a year in champions league playing every week in that position, he can become better than Bernardo. My opinion.

It’s possible to rate both Solly and Bernardo highly, I do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough, but his role has become increasingly defensive.
Measuring his contribution on goals and assists is a little unfair.
Davy Propper has 2 goals and 7 assists in 100ish appearances.

I suspect my endearing memory of Solly will be him skipping through Chelsea's midfield and defence (the home game before last) like the hundreds of millions pounds worth of talent wasn't there, only to launch the ball into row z.

Oh Solly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suspect my endearing memory of Solly will be him skipping through Chelsea's midfield and defence (the home game before last) like the hundreds of millions pounds worth of talent wasn't there, only to launch the ball into row z.

Oh Solly.

Mine is December 2018, Solly single handedly destroying the Diver in the 3-1 M23 derby win.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Stephens and Duffy just do not fit into this team unfortunately, would make sense for both to move on.

Wouldn't be hugely annoyed if we sold/let go Groß, March, Schelotto or Montoya, but don't think we necessarily should get rid of them. Groß has been living off the one good first season and the occasional Cruyff turn for two seasons now, not massively convinced by either Schelotto or Montoya but feel the latter is adequate back-up and March is an ok utility option but really hasn't reached his potential and I am not sure he ever will.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
There was talk that West Ham were keen for Duffy in the last transfer window but then he got that injury to his leg/ankle/foot (sorry can’t remember what) and it never happened.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Someone speculated that he may have been the recent Covid 19 case and given additional time to recover.

interesting theory.

Have found it very odd that Ali J’s not even making the squad. Nobody in the squad makes a better low fizzing cross, most manage to find the opposite side of the penalty area or don’t even clear the first man. Think the Watford OG

I also think he has a quick brain and feet which I would have expected to be a Potter team trait :shrug:

As a winger I’d have him over March every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. Not as good in defence though...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm with Icy on AJ.

I do feel Stephens and Duffy are probably at or past their best, so would make sense to cash in what we can while we can. If Lamptey proves to be relaibly better than anyone else @ RB then Scolleto is probably next to go.

Unless we get a great offer from someone, then letting Gross go would be daft, he's a quality player and we need a squad with strength in depth.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As everyone is offloading Stephens and Arteta is looking to offload, should the Albion replace him with Gwen Doozy? :dunce:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If I could, I’d release at least half of the current squad and replace them with players who’ll be able to raise us up the league next season rather than constantly looking down rather than up. We’ve failed to put together a side that can challenge, we’re just trying to avoid relegation. TB said he wants to aim top ten, then, the grim reality is, he’s going to have to splash a lot of cash. So many of our players try so hard, but they’re just not suited to the top flight. It pains me to say this, but watching the Albion for the past three seasons has often been excruciating, the pundits know it, fans of other sides know it, and I think I know what they mean. When you see how the likes of Sheffield Utd, Burnley, CP, Wolves, Newcastle, even Saints, have gone about building a Premier League squad we seem to be lagging behind.

All IMO, and of course, I know I’m wrong.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Personally I think it's time to cut our losses with AJ and dare I say it even Trossard. I know many will say it's too early and he had an injury earlier in the season but he just seems pretty ineffective to me. No doubt he has some talent (as I'm sure AJ does too) but if we could get a few £m back for these two then I'd take it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here