what Reading are saying on their Boards....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And before the decline I,e goldstone we was around 34th...Point is we've always had big potential,but never had the finances or stadia to do anything.
34th? Come off it - that would be mid-table division 2. From 1920 to 1958 we were third division. In the next 40 years, we were only above the third division for (roughly)15 or 16 seasons - so 25 of those 40 years in the third or fourth divisions too. 34th? My ENREST!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Whilst not historically as "big" as many clubs in our division, I'd say that we're certainly on the rise whilst others are in decline. I feel like our club is getting stronger.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
So you're saying that most (more than half) of the teams in our division have won a couple of cups and qualified for Europe?

I don't think we're a big club at all. I just don't think we're that small, compared to most of the division we're in. As others have said, trophies from 60 years ago don't make a club big.
I'm saying more than half of the teams in our division have won trophies, played in Europe and/or spent the majority of their history in the top 2 divisions. We have won the Charity Shield in 1910 when we were in the Southern League but never been more than 10 continuous years in the top 2 divisions, and spent more seasons of out history in the lower 2 divisions. I have also acknowledged the fact that we have the potential to do much better in the future. I'm amazed it's such a big argument for anyone who has a vague knowledge of the history of the clubs in the the top 2 divisions. We only had 4 seasons in our history in the top division and out of those 4 seasons there was only one season where we were not involved in a relegation battle, but still finished in the bottom half. Most teams in out league have a much better record.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm saying more than half of the teams in our division have won trophies, played in Europe and/or spent the majority of their history in the top 2 divisions. We have won the Charity Shield in 1910 when we were in the Southern League but never been more than 10 continuous years in the top 2 divisions, and spent more seasons of out history in the lower 2 divisions. I have also acknowledged the fact that we have the potential to do much better in the future. I'm amazed it's such a big argument for anyone who has a vague knowledge of the history of the clubs in the the top 2 divisions. We only had 4 seasons in our history in the top division and out of those 4 seasons there was only one season where we were not involved in a relegation battle, but still finished in the bottom half. Most teams in out league have a much better record.
uploadfromtaptalk1446281318261.jpg

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
34th? Come off it - that would be mid-table division 2. From 1920 to 1958 we were third division. In the next 40 years, we were only above the third division for (roughly)15 or 16 seasons - so 25 of those 40 years in the third or fourth divisions too. 34th? My ENREST!
You do realise a big club is based on attendances not what division they're in???
We was around 12/13k all time average before the decline and rarely averaged below 10k:smile:

theroyal

May 11, 2014
If average attendances were indicative of club size then Borussia Dortmund would be bigger than Real Madrid and Manchester United.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Reading had highest attendances just above Blackpool!

For most fans on the pitch,
Reading fans know how to Party, just watch how excited they were to come 7th in the league!! :ffsparr:
Today is there cup final, so expect more police in case of another pitch invasion..

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I remember going to Reading away when both in the third tier
Top of the table clash
Drinking in the Wetherspoons in the town centre just as chair throwing started in the pub....
Pwoper Nawty

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now I KNOW you're having a tin!
Along with several others on here it seems. You're suggesting that attendances and current position etc don't make any difference to a club's size, it's all down to what they've won and which division they've been in over the last 100+ years. I completely disagree. If a club like Forest (with a great record) had spent the last 10 years in League 1, with an average crowd of 5k (due to fans not being interested, rather than a temporary ground issue) then I'd say they'd become a small club. Brighton had relatively small crowds due to being at the Withdean and now that we've got our own ground we have the second highest attendances in the division, which is a trend for the 5 years we've had our ground. You think that makes no difference to the size of club we are, I disagree.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Along with several others on here it seems. You're suggesting that attendances and current position etc don't make any difference to a club's size, it's all down to what they've won and which division they've been in over the last 100+ years. I completely disagree. If a club like Forest (with a great record) had spent the last 10 years in League 1, with an average crowd of 5k (due to fans not being interested, rather than a temporary ground issue) then I'd say they'd become a small club. Brighton had relatively small crowds due to being at the Withdean and now that we've got our own ground we have the second highest attendances in the division, which is a trend for the 5 years we've had our ground. You think that makes no difference to the size of club we are, I disagree.
You can't win with him/her, they'll start editing your posts if you're not careful

Feb 14, 2010

If you believe Brighton and Reading are similar then you never went to football in the 1980s or before. Brighton are a club with no success but a large fan base. I went to Elm Park a few years back and well, there were almost as many of us as there were home fans. Reading as a place historically is also nothing like Brighton which traditionally is a was a working class town whose "inhabitants look as if they are helping police with enquiries" as the famous quote goes. Also Brighton get support from lots of other towns. The only similaity is that historically both Brighton and Reading have been utter garbage on the pitch. Although Brighton do have a major trophy, but that was in 1910.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
If you believe Brighton and Reading are similar then you never went to football in the 1980s or before. Brighton are a club with no success but a large fan base. I went to Elm Park a few years back and well, there were almost as many of us as there were home fans. Reading as a place historically is also nothing like Brighton which traditionally is a was a working class town whose "inhabitants look as if they are helping police with enquiries" as the famous quote goes. Also Brighton get support from lots of other towns. The only similaity is that historically both Brighton and Reading have been utter garbage on the pitch. Although Brighton do have a major trophy, but that was in 1910.
i can't think of many clubs in this division who are MORE similar to Brighton than Reading. As your hero says, we're talking about recent times. Both are fairly wealthy areas with some working class routes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports