Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the MATTER with people in East Belfast?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
and i expect you would see things differently if you had spent the 70s and 80s in the UK including remembering vividly a murderous attack on Brighton.

Did you never stop to ask "What would make these people so angry/violent?"

There is blame on both sides of the conflict, but these sorts of things always have a point of origin and a flash point to start them off.

Why does the loss of my families lives and lands over a long period of time get trumped by what you saw in the 70's and 80's?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Are they still blithering on about their spuds going off.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You really are a massive bell-end aren't you? You've spent a couple of days on a family holiday in the adjoining country. Apart from that, you live 13,000 miles away. That's where your experience on the matter ends. As [MENTION=12211]The Spanish[/MENTION] points out, you might have different views if your country had been subjected to terrorist acts for 2 decades.

Actually I've more insight into this than you ever will so do try to stop pontificating that you're all knowing.

I live in a nation that has indigenous people that have been f***ed over by the same system that did it to NI.

Do you know how much anger there still is in the Aboriginal communities? What do you know about displaced peoples and their communities, are you part of one?

I can understand fully why the Aboriginals of Australia would harbour much resentment still to the situation. A bunch of settlers turn up backed by the military and start taking over your lands and making you the lowest common denominator. No different to NI.

So you see, my experience of why this shit happens far surpasses what you know.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Actually I've more insight into this than you ever will so do try to stop pontificating that you're all knowing.

I live in a nation that has indigenous people that have been f***ed over by the same system that did it to NI.

Do you know how much anger there still is in the Aboriginal communities? What do you know about displaced peoples and their communities, are you part of one?

I can understand fully why the Aboriginals of Australia would harbour much resentment still to the situation. A bunch of settlers turn up backed by the military and start taking over your lands and making you the lowest common denominator. No different to NI.

So you see, my experience of why this shit happens far surpasses what you know.
I spent two weeks in Australia including 2 days in Alice Springs where my wife was spat at by aborigines and called a desert rat. I've never been to such a racially segreated town in my life.

And of course, I already knew everything you've mentioned about Australia's history just as pretty much everybody else on this board does. You sound like a right tit making out you have more experience of conflict than anybody else, especially when it comes to Northern Ireland where it transpires you haven't even been to FFS.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It does seem to me that there are deliberate attempts to needle the loyalist community, and that decisions all seem to go one way against them, one thing that the loyalists do need to sort out is their PR machine , it's not aq patch on IRA/Sinn Fein which succeds wonderfully in portraying the IRA to the world as heroic freedom fighters to be sure with a twinkle in their eye, and any attempt by loyalists to defend their heritage and traditions as bigotry designed to oppress the poor innocent republicans who want nothing more than to live in peace with their neighbours.

Ok the floor is yours put a positive spin on this.

Peaceful protests about flag flying are not going to cut it, just as violent protests won't change things. The issue is just petty.
Let's hear some genuine grievances.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Ok the floor is yours put a positive spin on this.

Peaceful protests about flag flying are not going to cut it, just as violent protests won't change things. The issue is just petty.
Let's hear some genuine grievances.

you can reduce it to that if you like but flags are a phenomenally emotive issue in conflicts like these. Go to Belfast, or the Green Line in Nicosia, and tell them to stop being silly and take them all down.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I spent two weeks in Australia including 2 days in Alice Springs where my wife was spat at by aborigines and called a desert rat. I've never been to such a racially segreated town in my life.

So you have seen first hand the anger and resentment which still resides in the indigenous people. Are you then able to transpose this to other nations where Indigenous people feel such emotions and comprehend why they may lash out at those they perceive are at the root of their problems?

And of course, I already knew everything you've mentioned about Australia's history just as pretty much everybody else on this board does. You sound like a right tit making out you have more experience of conflict than anybody else, especially when it comes to Northern Ireland where it transpires you haven't even been to FFS.

I said I live in a system like that of which created the troubles in NI. That surprisingly does give one an insight into why people do what they do in such situations.

In modern day Surrey how often do you come across displaced indigenous people in your daily life?

And before you get all abusive it's merely a simple question to find out if you do or not?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
you can reduce it to that if you like but flags are a phenomenally emotive issue in conflicts like these. Go to Belfast, or the Green Line in Nicosia, and tell them to stop being silly and take them all down.

I do like. It is emotive because it offers a bunch of low lifes the opportunity to take to the streets and wreak havoc.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
looking at the videos of the trouble on the news, some of these kids look about 13-15, do they actually understand what they are "campaining / rioting" for? or are they just bored teenagers with Fcuk All else to do.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
looking at the videos of the trouble on the news, some of these kids look about 13-15, do they actually understand what they are "campaining / rioting" for? or are they just bored teenagers with Fcuk All else to do.

Of course they do, they go to particular schools and live in particular areas of town and have particular friends and support particular football teams, they know who to hate.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Of course they do, they go to particular schools and live in particular areas of town and have particular friends and support particular football teams, they know who to hate.

but surley not in school are they taught why they hate the other? Thats hardly going to bring piece. Its just seems on the videos a load of spotty teenagers have a reason to have a go at the police. Dont get me wrong I do understand the bigger picture (although you learn more and more reading threads like this), but i would expect the "older generation" whio were around during the main troubles to be protesting not the minors.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
A 25 year old event that clearly had a big impact on you. I know next to nothing about the Greek/Turkish Cypriot dispute and can't comment further.

well I thought we had widened the discussion to the importance of flags and symbols in ethno-religious disputes. very relevant I would have thought. Its really not an obscure incident.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
No it's still part of the same country and history.

Just because you draw a line across it doesn't mean it's not part of the same struggle and conflicts.
take it from me , county clare is a world away from the north both geographically and how people livbe their everyday life, if you've only ever been to clare, then you're totally and utterly clueless as to the realities of northern ireland, a separate country, legally.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
There are many issues in Northern Ireland indeed but it is Britain. I think we should be like the U.S and fly our flag, the union flag over every public building and beyond. It is a symbol of the nation and demonstrates belonging. As a child, I recall it was even in the corner of the classroom and was also raised over the playground every day. The problem of having such mixed race country just like the states it becomes more necessary to assert that identity. Everyday the union flag flys over Doncaster where I live, atop the main church of the town, long may it do so. I will be moving back south this year and the flag will fly over my property in Sussex.

I was watching the video of the riots, it struck me that these young uns have no idea how to chuck a petrol bomb properly.

Shame how quickly these traditions die out.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
A difficult one to solve - you do wonder why the vote was taken in the first place ? I'm sure there are far more urgent things to resolve than when the Union Flag flies.

That said, I do have some sympathy with the Republicans having seen the atrocities the British carried out in Ireland.
which particular " atrocities" might these be ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here