Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the MATTER with people in East Belfast?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Au contraire sir. When they're not rioting, IMHO Belfast is a terrific city and Northern Ireland is gorgeous.

Yeah right ;-)

I went there a couple of years ago and was totally shocked.

I expected pretty much the same as other part of the UK, maybe a little cold and wet but similar never the less.

I wasnt prepared to see the visible segregation, the painted curb stones and flags waving on each lamposts and houses designating whether it was Loyalist or Republican territory, I had imagined it had all changed, but it really blew me away in a kinda of erie troubles 70's retro kinda way.

I have to say though the people I met were lovely.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Should the thread title not be - What is the MATTER with people in Belfast City Council?

They must have known the shit storm this would cause. Which begs the question why do it?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My knowledge on Northern Ireland is fairly woeful but what would happen if we let it become an independent state? Very few people in Great Britain actually give much of a shit about keeping hold of Northern Ireland (that's not to say we don't like the place but it just doesn't have an affect our lives). I'm sure there are many deep-rooted arguments for keeping hold if it but it just seems like such an odd state of affairs.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He is probably referring to this comment " You get the impression that there are utter twats on both sides who just live for the excuse to throw petrol bombs. Mugs. " , which to be fair is a relatively lazy comment, without any real attempt to look at the grievances behind the situation.
It does seem to me that there are deliberate attempts to needle the loyalist community, and that decisions all seem to go one way against them, one thing that the loyalists do need to sort out is their PR machine , it's not aq patch on IRA/Sinn Fein which succeds wonderfully in portraying the IRA to the world as heroic freedom fighters to be sure with a twinkle in their eye, and any attempt by loyalists to defend their heritage and traditions as bigotry designed to oppress the poor innocent republicans who want nothing more than to live in peace with their neighbours.
This is all very fair. But equally something that you have failed to recognise with your pro-loyalist stance is that there are BOUND to be more decisions taken that appear pro-nationalist to restore some of the status quo. For example, the RUC was not an organisation the nationalists could support so a new PNSI came to pass. Similarly, flying the union jack 24/7 is not acceptable to a large part of the population so it has been removed for some of the time. But before you complain, it's hardly some sort of equality, as there's no Irish tricolour flying -just a nod to the fact that a fair sized minority of the city do not consider themselves British.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
This is all very fair. But equally something that you have failed to recognise with your pro-loyalist stance is that there are BOUND to be more decisions taken that appear pro-nationalist to restore some of the status quo. For example, the RUC was not an organisation the nationalists could support so a new PNSI came to pass. Similarly, flying the union jack 24/7 is not acceptable to a large part of the population so it has been removed for some of the time. But before you complain, it's hardly some sort of equality, as there's no Irish tricolour flying -just a nod to the fact that a fair sized minority of the city do not consider themselves British.
Most of the time actually, how about the loyalists go down to Dublin and tell them that they cant fly their national flag over city hall ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Most of the time actually, how about the loyalists go down to Dublin and tell them that they cant fly their national flag over city hall ?
You'd have a point if 35% of the population of Dublin was loyalist.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

still happens at westminster though eh.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Can someone refill the pot please? use new tea bags if you don't mind.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What does?

flying the union flag daily.

just a joke I do understand the difference. but what the loyalists realise is inches become miles. you cannot have these cobbled together compromises for long, its unsustainable long term. They may as Bushy says do PR terribly, but aligning themselves with us will never win them an underdog vote no matter how good their PR.

Next step is a rump NI, with just Down and Antrim.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Trouble has been bubbling up in Belfast again for a few months now. It's never far from the surface but I think it's gonna kick off big time again. Shame, all my Mum's family are from NI and it can be a beautiful place. Some parts of Belfast are great and NI countryside is beautiful.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
flying the union flag daily.

Just a joke i do understand the difference. But what the loyalists realise is inches become miles. You cannot have these cobbled together compromises for long, its unsustainable long term. They may as bushy says do pr terribly, but aligning themselves with us will never win them an underdog vote no matter how good their pr.

next step is a rump ni, with just down and antrim.
never,never,neveeerrrr!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
From my experience, even the average, apolitical person on the street out there holds barely hidden social prejudices about each side. As mentioned earlier, it's a tinderbox.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here