Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the MATTER with people in East Belfast?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Belfast is great. The Crown Liquor Saloon is one of the best pubs in Europe. Still very much in favour of English independence though - would save us the fortunes English tax payers spend propping up Third World countries like Scotland, Wales and the Six Counties.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
and being outbred according to tyrone. with barely disguised glee.

Betting than being taken out with bombs isn't it?

Let's not pretend that these Protestants in NI were a vast majority of Englishmen. The majority were Scots Protestants. The same Scots that people seem happy enough today to let them have their independence and be done with them.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Betting than being taken out with bombs isn't it?

Let's not pretend that these Protestants in NI were a vast majority of Englishmen. The majority were Scots Protestants. The same Scots that people seem happy enough today to let them have their independence and be done with them.

we dont pretend that Tyrone as its next door and we have all been there loads of times.

You?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
How happy would you be if parliament decided to only fly the Union Jack over other British towns on 'Special occasions', having said that there's no excuse for violence like this.

The irony is that in most - if not all - town halls in the rest of the UK the Union Jack IS only flown on specific days. If the Loyalists/Unionists want to be a part of the UK then, funnily enough, the vote taken by the Belfast City Council, actually brings them more in line with the rest of the country they strongly want to remain part of!

There is also not much logic in them whinging that the Irish flag flies from Dublin City Hall every day. After all; they don't want to be part of the Republic do they; they regard it as a different country. So surely what the Irish fly up a pole in Dublin shouldn't really bother them.

Whoever said they need to get their PR sorted out was right. The impression I get of most loyalists is that their culture consist solely of wandering around in the Union Jack, supporting Rangers and parading around in Bowler Hats.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
You'd have a point if 35% of the population of Dublin was loyalist.

50% of London is non-British white?

Should we take down the Union Flag for 50% of the day?

I am well aware that London lives in Peace and the has not been a defaco civil war there for years.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The irony is that in most - if not all - town halls in the rest of the UK the Union Jack IS only flown on specific days. If the Loyalists/Unionists want to be a part of the UK then, funnily enough, the vote taken by the Belfast City Council, actually brings them more in line with the rest of the country they strongly want to remain part of!

There is also not much logic in them whinging that the Irish flag flies from Dublin City Hall every day. After all; they don't want to be part of the Republic do they; they regard it as a different country. So surely what the Irish fly up a pole in Dublin shouldn't really bother them.

Whoever said they need to get their PR sorted out was right. The impression I get of most loyalists is that their culture consist solely of wandering around in the Union Jack, supporting Rangers and parading around in Bowler Hats.

not to mention putting up gibberish signs in dialect to try to compete with the Irish language. whoever thought that was a good idea needs their bumps felt.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A difficult one to solve - you do wonder why the vote was taken in the first place ? I'm sure there are far more urgent things to resolve than when the Union Flag flies.

That said, I do have some sympathy with the Republicans having seen the atrocities the British carried out in Ireland.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
No trumped by your childhood holiday to county clare.

Actually we went there to see the place where the family used to live. Sadly most of that had been destroyed over the years by various insurgents.

A lot of family died defending those lands. I expect we'd take pride in their sacrifices as you would if your forefathers fought in WW2 to protect yours and others lands.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Actually we went there to see the place where the family used to live. Sadly most of that had been destroyed over the years by various insurgents.

A lot of family died defending those lands. I expect we'd take pride in their sacrifices as you would if your forefathers fought in WW2 to protect yours and others lands.

and i expect you would see things differently if you had spent the 70s and 80s in the UK including remembering vividly a murderous attack on Brighton.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
50% of London is non-British white?

Should we take down the Union Flag for 50% of the day?

I am well aware that London lives in Peace and the has not been a defaco civil war there for years.
If you are aware London lives in peace and has not been the site of a defacto civil war for years, why are you bothering to ask the question?

No it's still part of the same country and history.

Just because you draw a line across it doesn't mean it's not part of the same struggle and conflicts.
You really are a massive bell-end aren't you? You've spent a couple of days on a family holiday in the adjoining country. Apart from that, you live 13,000 miles away. That's where your experience on the matter ends. As [MENTION=12211]The Spanish[/MENTION] points out, you might have different views if your country had been subjected to terrorist acts for 2 decades.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here