Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the MATTER with people in East Belfast?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
take it from me , county clare is a world away from the north both geographically and how people livbe their everyday life, if you've only ever been to clare, then you're totally and utterly clueless as to the realities of northern ireland, a separate country, legally.

From what you just stated you might not have read up on the history of Clare. You're talking in the last 50 years. History as it happens goes back a bit further than that. A lot further back.

I actually think you'd be the kind of chap that if England was invaded you'd fight to the death to keep it from the rule of another nation, would I be correct? I'd hope you would do that for your people.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Even though it is part of the British Isle, I certainly consider it a different country.....Northern Island, and particularly Belfast, is a world away from Britain, georgraphically, and they live their daily lives.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
which particular " atrocities" might these be ?

Maybe the burning of catholic homes at the beginning of the 'troubles'?
Im assuming these protestant paramilitary gangs are in essence 'British'

Lets not forget who started the latest shit in the late 60s

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
As an aside, that Theresa Villiers is a classic example of what is medically referred to as "Granny Mouth", in a younger woman.

_65084702_theresa.jpg

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Even though it is part of the British Isle, I certainly consider it a different country.....Northern Island, and particularly Belfast, is a world away from Britain, georgraphically, and they live their daily lives.

"a world away geographically" is Venus, Dave, not Belfast.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

A slight aside, but when the Czech and Slovak Republics formed I wondered would there be much difference between the two nations once they split?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
There's an adage which always makes Irish people smile...

"the English can't remember what the Irish can't forget"

I urge you to use this reasoning whenever it comes to Irish problems.

That's very good!

And to that you can add that whilst they didn't invent the word stubborn, it nevertheless appears to be ingrained in the national soul.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Maybe the burning of catholic homes at the beginning of the 'troubles'?

Lets not forget who started the latest shit in the late 60s
The civil rights marchers ?? as i've said previously on this thread , the loyalists have beyond woeful PR , if you honestly think it was only catholics who got burnt out then your sillier or suffer from a greater degree of self denial than i thought, the more i see of your posts , the more i'm convinced you were the resident ship/battalion misfit who was so badly bullied that it turned you against everything your tormentors stood for, i seem to recall that you didnt even finish your engagement in the navy did you, what wasn your excuse for leaving early again ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
From what you just stated you might not have read up on the history of Clare. You're talking in the last 50 years. History as it happens goes back a bit further than that. A lot further back.

I actually think you'd be the kind of chap that if England was invaded you'd fight to the death to keep it from the rule of another nation, would I be correct? I'd hope you would do that for your people.
You probably would be , but you dont see me going around putting bombs under the cars of people with the surname de glanville or anything else remotely norman do you ? because lets face it , it has as much relevance as your ancestors from a couple of hundred years ago.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ive never suffered from bullying Bushy..its always on your mind though isnt it...its telling....tell me why my step father was sent to Belfast in the 60s then to protect catholic homes...was it a fantasy he was telling us about.....

and the reason I left the navy?...My ambition in the navy was to travel around the Far East....didnt seem much point in staying after that...what was the reason you were scared to leave the military and join normal everyday life? Fear of being alone? More bullying?
Shouldnt you be pseudo grieving...a soldier has been killed you know.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
which particular " atrocities" might these be ?

In the early 20th century there were plenty of summary executions and imprisonment without trial. If you want a specific atrocity then lets start with North King Street, Dublin in 1916.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You probably would be , but you dont see me going around putting bombs under the cars of people with the surname de glanville or anything else remotely norman do you ? because lets face it , it has as much relevance as your ancestors from a couple of hundred years ago.

That's not really relevant given you don't live under Norman rule though do you. You weren't forced out of your homelands because of the Normans actions is the bottom line.

Face it, if the Chinese invaded and made you live under their flag and laws you'd be doing exactly the same thing the indigenous Irish have done for centuries. You'd fight back to rid your nation of their rule or you'd die trying to.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I was watching the video of the riots, it struck me that these young uns have no idea how to chuck a petrol bomb properly.

Shame how quickly these traditions die out.

Haha! Not so sure though. My Mum was a nurse in Belfast during the troubles and they would frequently receive young 'uns that had put the lit rag in too loose and as they raised it above their shoulders it woukd fall out and tip burning petrol all down their backs. A nasty business then as it is now.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
In the early 20th century there were plenty of summary executions and imprisonment without trial. If you want a specific atrocity then lets start with North King Street, Dublin in 1916.
Your exact words were " having seen the atrocities the British carried out in Ireland." . I naturally assumed that you'd been present when these atrocities were carried out, or at least in the immediate aftermath , how was i to know your statement was simply a little bit of colonial guilt.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Ive never suffered from bullying Bushy..its always on your mind though isnt it...its telling....tell me why my step father was sent to Belfast in the 60s then to protect catholic homes...was it a fantasy he was telling us about.....

and the reason I left the navy?...My ambition in the navy was to travel around the Far East....didnt seem much point in staying after that...what was the reason you were scared to leave the military and join normal everyday life? Fear of being alone? More bullying?
Shouldnt you be pseudo grieving...a soldier has been killed you know.
Course thats the reason, sounds really plausible, not, and what are you on about why was I scared to leave the army ?? I did 4 1/2 years , hardly a lifetime of hiding from civvy street, anyway havent you got some celebrating to do as a squaddie has been killed , shall i hang around for your usual mealy mouthed explanations that you simply value afghan lives as much as british ones ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I couldnt give a flying feck if you think its plausible my little bullied one...

Imagine you 'genuinly' forgot to tell me why my stepfather was sent to Belfast to protect the catholic community from
protestant gangs....please go on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here