Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the MATTER with people in East Belfast?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
That's not really relevant given you don't live under Norman rule though do you. You weren't forced out of your homelands because of the Normans actions is the bottom line..
My ancestors were though, a bit like yours, except yours were in living memory and you knew their names etc .............oh, wait a minute.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
One only has to stroll into some of the backstreet pubs in Belfast to realise the gulf that exists betwen both sides, many still have seperate bars and if you're not sure which side you've wandered into best to keep quiet, especially with a Southern English accent such as mine. All these little segregations keep the troubles burning away.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Your exact words were " having seen the atrocities the British carried out in Ireland." . I naturally assumed that you'd been present when these atrocities were carried out, or at least in the immediate aftermath , how was i to know your statement was simply a little bit of colonial guilt.

I'd have used the word "witnessed" if I'd been there.

Regardless, they still took place but it's something that seems to be purposely forgotten by some.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I couldnt give a flying feck if you think its plausible my little bullied one...

Imagine you 'genuinly' forgot to tell me why my stepfather was sent to Belfast to protect the catholic community from
protestant gangs....please go on.
I didnt genuinely forget anything , your stepfather was sent to stop catholics being burnd out of their homes by protestant mobs, if he'd been in a different unit he might well have been sent to stop protestants being burned out by catholic mobs, are you trying to tell me it didnt happen ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Link me up bushy with tales of protestants being burned out by catholic mobs, and we will compare the dates...im not bullying you...dont run away...let me see some evidence of simultaneous attacks.

Ill start...you counter eh?

The UVF is an illegal loyalist paramilitary organization that formed in response to a perceived revival of the IRA at the time of the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising. That month the UVF began a campaign of intimidation against a Catholic-owned off-licence on the Shankill Road. Its members painted sectarian graffiti on the neighbouring house and threw a petrol bomb through the window, killing a 77-year-old Protestant widow.On 21 May 1966, the UVF issued a statement:

From this day, we declare war against the IRA and its splinter groups. Known IRA men will be executed mercilessly and without hesitation. Less extreme measures will be taken against anyone sheltering or helping them, but if they persist in giving them aid, then more extreme methods will be adopted . . . we solemnly warn the authorities to make no more speeches of appeasement. We are heavily armed Protestants dedicated to this cause.

On 11 June 1966, the UVF shot and killed Catholic store owner John Patrick Scullion in west Belfast. On 26 June 1966, another UVF gun attack in west Belfast killed Catholic barman Peter Ward and seriously injured three others. On 30 March 1969 a UVF bomb exploded at an electricity station in Castlereagh, resulting in widespread black-outs. A further five bombs were exploded at electricity stations and water pipelines throughout April.
It was hoped that these attacks would be blamed on the IRA, forcing moderate unionists to increase their opposition to the reforms of Terence O'Neill's government

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
My ancestors were though, a bit like yours, except yours were in living memory and you knew their names etc .............oh, wait a minute.

We do actually. We have 18th century documentation of a family member who committed suicide so as to ensure his family lands went to his wife and child instead of being confiscated by the Crown.

We have further documentation of when the family lands had to be signed over to the O'Brien's of Thomond to try and protect them once again from the Crown. Alas that did little to save the families of the clan being forced off their lands.

These documents put names to real people who suffered the ultimate sacrifices at times for nothing more than being the local families in that area.

Maybe your family never passed down it's history from generation to generation. Plenty of families do.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its quite easy Bushy...youre supposedly an ex military man......
After a certain time, you are asked if you want to sign for 3 years, or 9 years..... I chose nine years, as you got more money, and it only cost a couple of hundred to buy yourself out before the 9 years is up...so most people sign for 9 years...without intention of actually staying 9 years..its about the moolah....certainly not 'out of the ordinary' from my experience.
..sorry if that reason isnt sufficient for you...
Anyway, back to NI rather than your attempts to denigrate my service ..dont want to be seen bullying you, as I realise that it may bring back bad memories for you.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Link me up bushy with tales of protestants being burned out by catholic mobs, and we will compare the dates...im not bullying you...dont run away...let me see some evidence of simultaneous attacks.
" ...im not bullying you...dont run away.. " seriously how old are you ? 50 odd or a teenager ?

I know people first hand who were burned out in short strand in 1969 in cluan place , google it yourself if you want .

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
This thread is a prime example of why there will never be peace in Northen Ireland.

Just re-read it.

Starts off being about a particular grip of some kind, and then if evolves into a fight between the two sides (its the same posters every time from both 'sides') about which flying the flag is not them problem anymore. Its back to the same old argument of 'we were hear first' from the Irish nationals and supporters and 'we've been here for hundreds of years' form the Unionists and supporters.

I don't think there will ever be peace in Northen Ireland.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Northern Island, and particularly Belfast, is a world away from Britain, georgraphically, and they live their daily lives.

Ha ha ha....thud. f***ing comic genius, Dave.

Congratulations on usurping Tyrone as the most ridiculous position taken by a poster on this thread and that's saying something. A day trip to a country that isn't The UK and trying to draw parallels between Aborigine rights on Oz with the Troubles set the benchmark for stupidity quite high but fair play, you pissed all over it.

Ha ha ha! Genuinely made me laugh, well played.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am GUTTED that I have given up Pringles as part of my Cancer Research DryAthlon challenge for January (along with fruit juice, pop, sweets, crisps, chocolate, cake and biscuits)

If you want to donate, please text KIER83 with an amount £1, £2 etc to 70070

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
" ...im not bullying you...dont run away.. " seriously how old are you ? 50 odd or a teenager ?

I know people first hand who were burned out in short strand in 1969 in cluan place , google it yourself if you want .

Er, I think you brought up the 'bullying'....did you forget?
You are certainly forgetting NI......google it?...is that your way of saying......I cant find f*** all about it?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ha ha ha....thud. f***ing comic genius, Dave.

Congratulations on usurping Tyrone as the most ridiculous position taken by a poster on this thread and that's saying something. A day trip to a country that isn't The UK and trying to draw parallels between Aborigine rights on Oz with the Troubles set the benchmark for stupidity quite high but fair play, you pissed all over it.

Ha ha ha! Genuinely made me laugh, well played.

Ive got family in Belfast, I dont consider Belfast, and the way they have lived in the last 50 years as normal do you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here