Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wearing Your Team's Shirt On Holiday

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Football shirts on vacation is never a good look. Speedos and aviators :thumbsup:

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I cringe when I see people abroad wearing any football shirt! I bet half of them have never been to a match thats why they have to wear them there. But the worst shirt to wear abroad I think is the England top! Its like look at me im English! Everyone knows your English already because you're as red as a tomato already from sunburn!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
My two sons aged 8 and 11 at the time gave a couple of Palace wearing fans a load of grief for wearing Palace tops in the North Laine a few years back completely off their own back, my youngest was wearing his Albion top and the pikeys made a sarcastic comment. It's moments like that that you realise just how much you love your children.

:bowdown:

And as for football shirts, I stopped wearing them a few years ago. I personally think they look a bit naff, but have absolutely no issue with someone wearing one if they so wish. It's just not for me.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Nearest I've ever gone was wearing my scarf on a night out in Spain, the shirt remains for matchdays only

Jimmy Grimble

Just back from Es Cana in Ibiza. Personally I would never wear a football shirt (aside from classic retro ones when playing football), but when abroad, I do find it helpful sometimes seeing others in football tops. As an example, in Es Cana I got speaking to a few Huddersfield fans because they had their teams kit on (during the Saturday 3 o clocks). Turned out to be lovely chaps and I had a good chat with them about the Championship; they also shared the same disdain for the plastic Manc and Chelsea fans in the bar which made for an amusing confrontation.

People who support their local team I will give them all in the time in the world, regardless of who they support.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interesting subject as in Marmaris a few weeks back myself and Mini observed a father and young son both wearing full Liverpool kits and that included the socks no less.

That is very sad to say the least.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Where do people stand out of interest on football mugs?

I do a 6 week stint at a college on maintenance and the like and the boys I have my tea with all have their football mugs. Man U, Spurs and Chelsea. The last time any of these guys saw 'their' team play was in the 80's. to listen to their passionate arguments though is a thing to behold.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Interesting subject as in Marmaris a few weeks back myself and Mini observed a father and young son both wearing full Liverpool kits and that included the socks no less.

What is equally sad is that you considered Marmaris an option for a holiday destination.....in my experience its full of gobby Germans and very pushy Turks.....never ever again.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I saw a boy wearing a Brighton shirt in Barcelona last week. Gave a cheeky 'SEEEAGULLLLS' as I walked past, which he and his dad returned in kind. Oh how we laughed.

I saw the same boy on Las Ramblas, and went over for a chat with him and his Dad.

Had a brief enthusiastic chat with them about Albion and the Birmingham result................Dad then said to me "who do you support?".

Had I been wearing an Albion shirt too it would have saved us all that very pronounced momentary embarrassed silence that subsequently followed his earnest question..........oh how we laughed!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What is equally sad is that you considered Marmaris an option for a holiday destination.....in my experience its full of gobby Germans and very pushy Turks.....never ever again.

What is sad about that ?

Marmaris is a superb holiday resort, loads to do for kids and adults, good restaurants and beaches and cheap as chips.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Completely agree. Very childish imo.

I wonder how much money those childish people are contributing to help their club survive and prosper?

I see Brighton tops when I'm away from Sussex and it makes me feel happy, whether the wearer is young or old, it shows our common allegiance to the club I love. I travel to the ground on matchday, I see thousands of Brighton shirts. I see families, Mum, Dad, boys and girls, sometimes grandparents, all excited and proud to wear their teams colours. I see old men meeting up, having worn the club shirt for decades, still displaying the allegiance that was founded when they were lads all those decades ago. I see people at bus stops and people waiting for lifts, happy faces, hearts full of anticipation, sporting Albion tops. I see people in cars with Brighton car stickers, the driver invariably wearing his blue n' white stripes. I see people crammed on trains, some quiet and anxious about the game ahead and the result, some loud and lairy, already fuelled by a few pints but all keen to display their allegiance. I see droves of people walking to the ground, the multitude of Brighton shirts is uplifting, colours from the last 20 years or more, too many to count. And then in the stadium, the moment arrives, the stands crammed with people, thousands of blue and white tops, yellow, a sprinkling of black and green, even one or two red/blacks and blue/blacks. And I'm there in my own theatre of dreams and I see those people like me, displaying their allegiance with pride and passion and my heart swells with joy.

I feel sad for you and mikeysj and any of the other small-minded and judgemental posters on this thread; you're very welcome to your sour dispositions.

Jan 30, 2008

says some one who was posting on NSC while on his sun lounger :rolleyes:
regards
DR

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just back from Es Cana in Ibiza. Personally I would never wear a football shirt (aside from classic retro ones when playing football), but when abroad, I do find it helpful sometimes seeing others in football tops. As an example, in Es Cana I got speaking to a few Huddersfield fans because they had their teams kit on (during the Saturday 3 o clocks). Turned out to be lovely chaps and I had a good chat with them about the Championship; they also shared the same disdain for the plastic Manc and Chelsea fans in the bar which made for an amusing confrontation.

People who support their local team I will give them all in the time in the world, regardless of who they support.

Good post, I don't wear football shirts on holiday but my sons do and it is nice that other teams fans come over and talk football, but it's never Man u, Liverpool, Celtic fans etc that talk,
I met a Plymouth fan the last time I was in Ibiza and had a good chat.
I went to Cyprus 2 years ago and a girl that worked at the hotel as a rep came over to us to say she came from Brighton when she saw my youngest sons shirt.
At the same hotel in Cyprus I met retired premier league referee from Worthing that came over to talk about the Albion when he saw my BHA towel.

Are Albion beach towels ok on holiday? :cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here