Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Wagatha Christie: Rooney v Vardy

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Amidst this complete and utter circus and waste of time is there a serious consideration. Will all this effect Steptoe's relationship with his Leicester team mates? No more lads bants in front of him as they will be so tuned into the possibility that it finds it's way to her and they know that at the drop of a hat she's on the blower to the tabloids

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Amidst this complete and utter circus and waste of time is there a serious consideration. Will all this effect Steptoe's relationship with his Leicester team mates? No more lads bants in front of him as they will be so tuned into the possibility that it finds it's way to her and they know that at the drop of a hat she's on the blower to the tabloids

No more lads bantz, also no more just using the shower without a second thought. What if Jamie accidentally sees your todger? Before you know it, his missus will be bitching all over Instagram comparing it to various foodstuffs, vegetables etc.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
[Tweet]1524716745164042245[/tweet]

Can we just end this now, surely that is an admission of guilt?

I'm guessing the admission that particular one seems to be from the agent doesn't mean they all were. If I understand the libel it's Vardy claiming the accusation it was her doing any of them was untrue. From the questioning which for a reason I don't understand I just took 5 minutes to read through, it seems Rooney's team may be indirectly admitting there's actually no smoking gun showing anything was actually Vardy sending messages herself. Gasp! This might be because there is no evidence because she did nothing, or might be because of the sequence of accidents to what evidence was requested for sharing, accidents that someone unkind might think were fortunate. So what they are trying to do is demonstrate the info was leaked with her direction or at least approval, either implicitly through knowing and doing nothing about it or explicitly through telling her agent to do it - that would then have some equivalence to her actually doing it with a phone and false fingernail herself. The agent admitting that one looks like 1-0 Rooney until it seemed to then be shown Vardy knew nothing about it. Possibly own-goal by Rooney to make it 1-1 and a VAR check to see if Vardy's got another rapidly after the restart.

Vardy could have shrugged her shoulders and said "whatevs" and no-one would care and few would remember even a week later. The only reasons I can think to pursue the libel action are spite against Rooney (in which case she has to be confident she'll win, because no-one would set themselves up to lose against someone they despise) or principle (because she knows she's innocent and can prove it). While I struggle to care who wins, I'd imagine she probably has a stronger case than Rooney just because she'd lose almost nothing by doing nothing, but could lose a lot by losing. Rooney's case seems a little bit like someone being overconfident because of their dislike for someone clouding their views.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm guessing the admission that particular one seems to be from the agent doesn't mean they all were. If I understand the libel it's Vardy claiming the accusation it was her doing any of them was untrue. From the questioning which for a reason I don't understand I just took 5 minutes to read through, it seems Rooney's team may be indirectly admitting there's actually no smoking gun showing anything was actually Vardy sending messages herself. Gasp! This might be because there is no evidence because she did nothing, or might be because of the sequence of accidents to what evidence was requested for sharing, accidents that someone unkind might think were fortunate. So what they are trying to do is demonstrate the info was leaked with her direction or at least approval, either implicitly through knowing and doing nothing about it or explicitly through telling her agent to do it - that would then have some equivalence to her actually doing it with a phone and false fingernail herself. The agent admitting that one looks like 1-0 Rooney until it seemed to then be shown Vardy knew nothing about it. Possibly own-goal by Rooney to make it 1-1 and a VAR check to see if Vardy's got another rapidly after the restart.

Vardy could have shrugged her shoulders and said "whatevs" and no-one would care and few would remember even a week later. The only reasons I can think to pursue the libel action are spite against Rooney (in which case she has to be confident she'll win, because no-one would set themselves up to lose against someone they despise) or principle (because she knows she's innocent and can prove it). While I struggle to care who wins, I'd imagine she probably has a stronger case than Rooney just because she'd lose almost nothing by doing nothing, but could lose a lot by losing. Rooney's case seems a little bit like someone being overconfident because of their dislike for someone clouding their views.

Just the sort of in depth analysis missing from the major news networks.

Thank you.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Was watching the news last night and they had a piece on Deborah James and then they followed that with these 2 bints, just about showed them for what they are.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
A plague on both their houses, but it does seem to me that - admittedly for why I don't know - Mrs Rooney has stuck by the spud faced nipper for many years. Whereas Mrs Vardy has now been married 3 times, has admitted to commenting on the size of one of her ex lover's penises in the national press; and acknowledged she or her agent has contacted at least one newspaper about various bits of footballer related gossip on more than one occasion. Hmmm....

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
A plague on both their houses, but it does seem to me that - admittedly for why I don't know - Mrs Rooney has stuck by the spud faced nipper for many years. Whereas Mrs Vardy has now been married 3 times, has admitted to commenting on the size of one of her ex lover's penises in the national press; and acknowledged she or her agent has contacted at least one newspaper about various bits of footballer related gossip on more than one occasion. Hmmm....

While acknowledging I have a bias, I've always thought Rooney (W) a fantastic footballer and more recently for obvious reasons - I think Colleen has been rather unfairly been lumped in with Vardy and treated as the same. I really don't follow the WAG scene but the bits that I have read, Colleen seems to be okay, has been with Wayne for 20 years, spends her time bringing up 4 kids. Vardy seems quite odious in comparison, some of the things she's admitted to are pretty shocking!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
While acknowledging I have a bias, I've always thought Rooney (W) a fantastic footballer and more recently for obvious reasons - I think Colleen has been rather unfairly been lumped in with Vardy and treated as the same. I really don't follow the WAG scene but the bits that I have read, Colleen seems to be okay, has been with Wayne for 20 years, spends her time bringing up 4 kids. Vardy seems quite odious in comparison, some of the things she's admitted to are pretty shocking!

I posted earlier in the thread that I didn't care who wins but the more that comes out, it's clear that Vardy is a nasty, thick piece of work. I think the summing up could be box office. Colleen has come out of it OK so far but has yet to open her mouth. She has a very low bar to beat thus far.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I posted earlier in the thread that I didn't care who wins but the more that comes out, it's clear that Vardy is a nasty, thick piece of work. I think the summing up could be box office. Colleen has come out of it OK so far but has yet to open her mouth. She has a very low bar to beat thus far.

And the amazing thing is that this is Vardy's libel case against Rooney and so far all she's done is proven that Rooney was telling the truth!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Yeah, I did consider putting in the caveat that Colleen was yet to speak! Silence is golden and all that

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And the amazing thing is that this is Vardy's libel case against Rooney and so far all she's done is proven that Rooney was telling the truth!

On the specific point in question - no she/her legal team haven't yet.

Her barrister acknoweldged at the outset that there was no smoking gun - there'll be no definitive proof that Vardy was leaking Rooney's stuff to the press, rather they are attempting to build up a broader picture that shows Vardy has long-term form for this stuff, such that all probability suggests she was. From one report:

Rooney’s legal team have admitted they do not have a smoking gun proving Vardy, the wife of Leicester City player Jamie Vardy, leaked stories about Rooney to the Sun.

However, Sherborne told the court the circumstantial evidence was overwhelming: “If it looks like a leak, it sounds like a leak, and you even used the word ‘leak’, it is more likely than not to be a leak.”​

When Rooney takes the stand it should be fascinating. It sounds like she staged a car crash (and was there something about a flooded basement?) as part of her entrapment. I'm looking forward to the detail of how she, presumably, reduiced the circle of people she was sharing stuff with to lead her to feel certain it was Vardy.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
What I don't understand is how thick and ill-advised Vardy must be to have taken this to court. Even if she's innocent (and I think she must at least think she is to have gone this far) she surely knew, or someone warned her, that she'd come out of it badly just because of what it'd reveal about her character and life? It looks like at no point did anyone tell her that the only way to come out of it with any dignity at all would be to ignore Rooney's accusation whether she's innocent or not. Not surprised her husband is keeping his distance compared to Rooney.

boik

Not followed this in detail, but did Colleen say that it was Vardy in person that leaked the stories, because the only quote I have seen was one where Colleen said "it definitely came from Vardys account". Vardy has said that other people have access to her account and that her agent had leaked at least one story to the Sun, so isn't Colleens claim actually true?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I saw the words "Coleen Rooney's fans" in a newspaper headline. Seriously? Why would Coleen Rooney have fans? Why would anyone (even a dumb teenager) want to be a fan of Coleen Rooney's? Has the world gone completely bonkers?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
On the specific point in question - no she/her legal team haven't yet.

Her barrister acknoweldged at the outset that there was no smoking gun - there'll be no definitive proof that Vardy was leaking Rooney's stuff to the press, rather they are attempting to build up a broader picture that shows Vardy has long-term form for this stuff, such that all probability suggests she was. From one report:

Rooney’s legal team have admitted they do not have a smoking gun proving Vardy, the wife of Leicester City player Jamie Vardy, leaked stories about Rooney to the Sun.

However, Sherborne told the court the circumstantial evidence was overwhelming: “If it looks like a leak, it sounds like a leak, and you even used the word ‘leak’, it is more likely than not to be a leak.”​

When Rooney takes the stand it should be fascinating. It sounds like she staged a car crash (and was there something about a flooded basement?) as part of her entrapment. I'm looking forward to the detail of how she, presumably, reduiced the circle of people she was sharing stuff with to lead her to feel certain it was Vardy.

That's a very good summary.

Legally, Vardy might win this because Rooney can't demonstrate burden of proof to satisfy the judge, but morally Rooney has already won IMHO. There can't be anyone following this who doesn't think Vardy is a lying scumbag who was leaking stories about her friends to the sun, and has only won (if she wins) because she of lack of definitive evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here