Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Strange wording from the club, it wasn't 'Vicente signs' it was 'We've activated the clause in his contract to keep him under contract with us'. That sounds to me like someone else is sniffing around so we've tied him to us.

Or am I reading too much into it?
You're reading too much into it. Gus was saying he was 90/95% sure he'd stay, which suggests we needed his agreement, we couldn't simply extend the contract. If it was as simple as extending the contract, we'd have done it months ago.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He didn't need to sign to stay - it was effectively the clubs decision if he was a free agent or not - they decided not.
I find that difficult to believe, as we'd have done it ages ago, and there'd have been no drama.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Activating the clause is exactly what has happened.

I can't imagine we would do that if he was hell bent on leaving.
Why not? At least that way someone would have to pay us for him.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Strange wording from the club, it wasn't 'Vicente signs' it was 'We've activated the clause in his contract to keep him under contract with us'. That sounds to me like someone else is sniffing around so we've tied him to us.

I understand it to be that we have taken the option of another year on his services, whereas we could have just said thanks but no thanks! Obviously this was signed when he was still crocked when he joined us.

Oct 25, 2003

you're reading to much into it

"The club has activated that option, meaning Vicente is now under contract with Albion until 30th June 2013."

kano

Jun 17, 2011
They have activated the clause because he's essentially still a brighton player so we can't say he's signed...he's already under contract

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I expect it's just a funny choice of wording, but it's been done because he has agreed it.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm a little uneasy as well. I don't think it's an issue of the wording as such, as that is a technicality and yes technically we have exercised an option.

But I would have hoped it was "Vicente chooses to stay!", or maybe even a quote from the great man.

Maybe that is to follow...

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The Vicente year no longer.

Now it's the Vicente years! :)

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
He can't sign a contract that he has already signed. Gus has always said he would only exercise the second year clause if Vicente wants to stay. Ergo Vicente wants to stay. Stop with this bloody negativity!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Who cares about the wording? Vicente is staying!!! :clap:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I find that difficult to believe, as we'd have done it ages ago, and there'd have been no drama.

Poyet said he would only exercise the extension if that is what Vicente wanted. Don't forget, Poyet is an ex-player, so knows the score and the detrimental affect it would have to force a player to stay.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Without being pessimistic, if it was straightforward wouldn't they have said 'Vicente stays!' in plain English? This legal language is a bit unnerving.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
They have activated the clause because he's essentially still a brighton player so we can't say he's signed...he's already under contract

I does nothing to say though that vicente has agreed or wanted to it, with only 4 days until his contract runs out, are the club now saying "you're staying"....... Would be much nicer to read that Vicente informed the club he would like to stay and so the club have exercised the option. Maybe that is the case, I hope so

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here