Vicente - one year contract extension exercised by the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oct 25, 2003
i don't think you can extend someones contract without them agreeing to it can you?

yes, if someone wants to buy him, they'll have to pay us......that's the situation with any player under contract no?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Without being pessimistic, if it was straightforward wouldn't they have said 'Vicente stays!' in plain English? This legal language is a bit unnerving.

It is not unnerving. Its a massive boost of confidence! Vicente has said he wants to play the next year at OUR club, in front of US the fans.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I does nothing to say though that vicente has agreed or wanted to it, with only 4 days until his contract runs out, are the club now saying "you're staying"....... Would be much nicer to read that Vicente informed the club he would like to stay and so the club have exercised the option

That's how I read it. Wouldn't take much to add a quick quote or sentence to say he is happy to stay.

Hopefully it's just a quick note that the work experience boy wrote, and will be elaborated on soon.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Brilliant. He hadn't signed and people complained. He signs and people complain. Until Vicente comes out in song and dance about it, I'm not happy either...

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
i don't think you can extend someones contract without them agreeing to it can you?

yes, if someone wants to buy him, they'll have to pay us......that's the situation with any player under contract no?

Depends who has the option. I thought both sides had a 1 year option, but may be wrong.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I does nothing to say though that vicente has agreed or wanted to it, with only 4 days until his contract runs out, are the club now saying "you're staying"....... Would be much nicer to read that Vicente informed the club he would like to stay and so the club have exercised the option

On the surface its probably good news, but not getting his name on the shirt until after the transfer window closes!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't like the sound of this at all. Surely it would have just said VICENTE STAYS! or something. Not "The club have decided to keep him under contract".

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
One other thing, would the club really put this news out, if he wasn't going to / didn't want to stay? Imagine the disappointment & how stupid they'd look.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Poyet said he would only exercise the extension if that is what Vicente wanted. Don't forget, Poyet is an ex-player, so knows the score and the detrimental affect it would have to force a player to stay.

youre probably right mate, but the wording does seem open to interpreation and "the club has decided.........." with no mention of Vicente's own thoughts

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Brilliant. He hadn't signed and people complained. He signs and people complain. Until Vicente comes out in song and dance about it, I'm not happy either...

People aren't complaining, they're just confused. You have to admit that the wording doesn't read well.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think this PLUS the fact that Poyet said 90-95%, PLUS the fact that we said that we wouldn't force him to stay means that he must have chosen to.

However, for a club that manages to make 3 articles with quotes, interviews and pictures out of the appointment of a new GK coach, that news item is bizarre, no one can deny.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Gus has said all along that any extension would only be if Vicente was happy here and wanted to stay here.

Therefore to me, it has been because he is and he does.

Simples.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Flairtastic

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
It's just quite a strange statement. The club knows full well how much expectation and debate there has been around this, so I'd have expected the press office to put out a proper statement, with a quote from Vicente saying how he's delighted to be staying. We haven't had that so it's natural to wonder. Hopefully it will follow...

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I hope this isn't a "you thought you had scored you were wrong" moment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports