Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Vaccine passport required to enter Amex

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And you're still here! Picking up viruses has always and will always be a fact of life. Sounds like getting the 67/68 variant might've given you some protection from swine flu if they are very similar.
We're there a load of people on social media (it doesn't happen IRL) grumbling, finger pointing and calling you stupid or selfish because you didn't have a mask at the time?

Again, I applaud you for taking sensible precautions based on your own situation. This along with the properly fitted filtration mask makes you unlikely to get covid.

It's a really strange situation that all those that did succumb to the Covid-19 virus are no longer posting about it on any media platform. Me thinks there's some conspiracy going on!!

The other conspiracy of course is the anti maskers banging on about how when you wear a mask it doesn't stop you getting it, as if it hasn't been explained ad infinitum!!!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They wear masks to prevent inhaling pollution...

Wrong.

I've lived in Japan and Taipei. They are worn in winter to help prevent the spread of disease in both cities and also in Hong Kong which I've visited regularly.

As early as January 2020 in the pandemic era I flew to Edinburgh for work. The only person on the flight wearing a mask was East Asian.

Neither are they just virtue signalling.

masks.JPG

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Well of course if you want to be 100% sure then you stay at home but, as with everything, it's a question of balance. I find the non wearing of masks in the concourses as people eat, drink and talk face to face pretty odd behaviour for adults in the current climate but on balance I think staying put in your seat, outdoors without a mask is a relatively low risk. It's even more odd during a pandemic that people travelling on crowded trains wouldn't mask up but then a lot of people are exceptionally stupid.

Absolutely, life is all about risk, you decide what risks you’re comfortable taking, but I’d say sitting alongside thousands of strangers in close quarters, many of whom will be sing and shouting, with the vast majority will not be wearing masks isn’t really low risk.
Low risk is being outside at your local playing fields watching your local Sunday league team alongside a couple of dozen other people, not 30,000 people in a football stadium.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's a really strange situation that all those that did succumb to the Covid-19 virus are no longer posting about it on any media platform. Me thinks there's some conspiracy going on!!

The other conspiracy of course is the anti maskers banging on about how when you wear a mask it doesn't stop you getting it, as if it hasn't been explained ad infinitum!!!

I'm not anti mask. I'm not telling anyone not to wear one, in fact it's on this thread and in the covid forum that I wish those who are vehemently pro-mask would back up their assertions by wearing a proper ffp3 version.

I'm simply against the finger pointing and hypocrisy because I've decided it's not for me, which happens to be the view of the vast majory from what I can see. As far as I can see nobody has started a thread to attack people wearing masks.

The bit in bold is the exact opposite to what I've been saying. If you wear an ffp3 mask it will give you decent protection. People who are worried or vulnerable should definitely do this.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Interesting that you say that it won't be forever, as if there will be a year where covid is less prevalant than it is now.

Guess what. The longer people refuse to have jabs and wear masks the longer it will continue.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not anti mask. I'm not telling anyone not to wear one, in fact it's on this thread and in the covid forum that I wish those who are vehemently pro-mask would back up their assertions by wearing a proper ffp3 version.

I'm simply against the finger pointing and hypocrisy because I've decided it's not for me, which happens to be the view of the vast majory from what I can see. As far as I can see nobody has started a thread to attack people wearing masks.

The bit in bold is the exact opposite to what I've been saying. If you wear an ffp3 mask it will give you decent protection. People who are worried or vulnerable should definitely do this.

Aye…people seem very keen on the finger pointing stuff and repeating the same stuff over and over again…I think we all know what each of us thinks.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Aye…people seem very keen on the finger pointing stuff and repeating the same stuff over and over again…I think we all know what each of us thinks.

For sure. Tho the club has asked those attending to wear masks in certain scenarios. So have the transport companies. Just seems that the level of mass non-compliance is a bit at odds with being a responsible adult

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And you're still here! Picking up viruses has always and will always be a fact of life. Sounds like getting the 67/68 variant might've given you some protection from swine flu if they are very similar.
We're there a load of people on social media (it doesn't happen IRL) grumbling, finger pointing and calling you stupid or selfish because you didn't have a mask at the time?

Again, I applaud you for taking sensible precautions based on your own situation. This along with the properly fitted filtration mask makes you unlikely to get covid.

Yes I’m still here, and would rather not go through the 67/68 flu again as I was extremely ill with it, unconscious for three days and ill for weeks.

Btw my masks were reasonably cheap from Amazon £5 for a box of 50. Good value imo.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Referring to the bold text, it doesn't have to be an FFP3 mask for it to make a difference. Any barrier over your mouth and nose reduces the risks.

You say you're not anti mask but do you wear one? For example, on the train, on the concourse (when not drinking/eating) perhaps in the supermarket or any other venue where you are in close proximity to others.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Asian people have worn masks all year round on the subway in NYC for as long as I can remember

Speaking to an Asian women in our office she said they wear them even when they don't have any illness, it is a courtesy to other passengers
Unfortunately this country has a huge amount of people who are selfish and do not give courtesy to other people. I thought masks were worn to reduce the risk to others.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Unfortunately this country has a huge amount of people who are selfish and do not give courtesy to other people. I thought masks were worn to reduce the risk to others.

This. Just because 95+% of attendees at the Amex this Sunday won't be wearing masks, either on the concourses or on the trains, doesn't make them any less of an individual self-centred **** with zero respect for their fellow fans

Jul 25, 2021
This. Just because 95+% of attendees at the Amex this Sunday won't be wearing masks, either on the concourses or on the trains, doesn't make them any less of an individual self-centred **** with zero respect for their fellow fans

What if they've got a condition which makes wearing a mask harmful for them?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What if they've got a condition which makes wearing a mask harmful for them?

Fair enough. Every bus into town seems to have loads of them. Normally big lairy blokes or fat chav wimmen, plus or minus a gaggle of running amok kids. Not to mention every second soppy student with their head in their phones and their feet on the seats. Guess the Amex will be chocka with victims of that tragic condition on Sunday

Last edited:

Jul 25, 2021
Fair enough. Every bus into town seems to have loads of them. Normally big lairy blokes or fat chav wimmen, plus or minus a gaggle of running amok kids. Guess the Amex will be chocka with victims of that tragic condition on Sunday

Fair enough. I see what you're saying now and I completely agree.

They need to be executed.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
would you subscribe to the idea of keeping practice of masks during the winter months, to inhibit the spread of influenza?

If it was considered a serious enough problem, then yes.

My now 80 year old sister-in-law at the height of the pandemic last year received a letter advising she was vulnerable and she was incandescent. She was brought back to reality by her own brother, a retired consultant general surgeon, who just explained to her “it’s a horrible way to die!”

So While I’m not paranoid about these things, I am not going to be as blasé about it as plenty of other people. Im not scared and afraid to venture outside the front door. I will be at the AMEX tomorrow, but I will be careful.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Wrong. Approximately 1200 people died yesterday, they all had families and friends. Covid isn't even in the top 5 causes of death anymore. Newest report is from July when cases were much higher, it's likely to be even lower in the list now.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...thlymortalityanalysisenglandandwales/july2021

Something is not right with the maths on that report. There are roughly 1200 deaths a day (quite a bit of daily variation though) and at the moment we are seeing COVID related deaths of around 150 which is 12.5% which is pretty significant and much larger than the figures they are quoting. The probable difference is that in early July the figures were 20-30 a day , we are now 5 times higher than that. as the numbers grow day on day.

But let's not focus on deaths, hospitalisations are also increasing at a lower rate than deaths but increasing and beginning to put pressure on the NHS and of course hospitalisations certainly means more cases of long covid and further draining of resources let alone the damage on individuals.

Yet some people still think its stupid, not cool(?) to wear a mask when pretty much every medical person thinks we should.

The problem lies with the government and its ineffectual way of dealing with the situation, it needs to be opening up the economy but it also re-iterating the importance of vaccinations and masks and supporting organisations e.g. supermarkets and football grounds by passing and enforcing laws. The two actions are not mutually exclusive.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Something is not right with the maths on that report. There are roughly 1200 deaths a day (quite a bit of daily variation though) and at the moment we are seeing COVID related deaths of around 150 which is 12.5% which is pretty significant and much larger than the figures they are quoting. The probable difference is that in early July the figures were 20-30 a day , we are now 5 times higher than that. as the numbers grow day on day.

But let's not focus on deaths, hospitalisations are also increasing at a lower rate than deaths but increasing and beginning to put pressure on the NHS and of course hospitalisations certainly means more cases of long covid and further draining of resources let alone the damage on individuals.

Yet some people still think its stupid, not cool(?) to wear a mask when pretty much every medical person thinks we should.

The problem lies with the government and its ineffectual way of dealing with the situation, it needs to be opening up the economy but it also re-iterating the importance of vaccinations and masks and supporting organisations e.g. supermarkets and football grounds by passing and enforcing laws. The two actions are not mutually exclusive.

Exactly this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here