Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa to Southampton for £6.5m?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
We wont need to pay him anything on his current contract, as soon as he has signed is new contract the old one is effectively void.

Thanks. Wasn't sure as read on here when Bridcutt wanted to leave that someone said we'd not have to pay up his remaining contract so thought we would with Ulloa. Thanks for clearing that up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Rhodes is slightly better, agreed. Hence him being the only player in the whole Championship last season with a better strike rate than an under-par Leo.

Umm, off the top of my head...

According to soccerbase:

Ings 0.58 (26 in 45)
McCormack 0.55 (29 in 53)
Austin 0.54 (20 in 37)
Rhodes 0.54
Grabban 0.48 (22 in 46)
Gestede 0.46 (13 in 28)
Vokes 0.44 (22 in 50)
Nugent 0.43 (22 in 51)

Leo 0.42 (16 in 38)

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We wont need to pay him anything on his current contract, as soon as he has signed his new contract the old one is effectively void.

Are you sure? The old contract would need to be dissolved prior to signing a new contract would it not? A player cannot sign a new contract without the mutual termination of the current one.

What as I understand as being typical in a player contract, is that if they are being sold without asking to leave, there is normally a settlement figure in the termination clause of the contract that the player will receive - hence why so many players try to engineer moves without directly handing in a transfer request.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We wont need to pay him anything on his current contract, as soon as he has signed his new contract the old one is effectively void.

We will have to come to an agreement with him about it unless he requests to leave.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Good stats?

These comparisons are hilarious. You can use stats to make any point you like.

1. Rhodes is 3 and a half years younger than Ulloa (let's get their age difference right for a start).
2. Rhodes is a completely different type of forward to Ulloa.
3. Rhodes played in a team that scores more goals than Brighton (6th in the division compared to 18th for goals scored) and is his team's penalty taker (Ulloa is seemingly no good at taking penalties).
4. Rhodes and Ulloa have a very similar shots-to-goals ratio (5.4 / 6.2), which would even out even more when taking the above factors into account.
5. Rhodes was sold when he was not yet proven in the Championship. If he were, he would have been sold for more.

At the end of the day, Ulloa is worth what someone is wiling to pay for him, based on a number of different factors, none of which include what was paid for Rhodes a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

According to soccerbase:

Ings 0.58 (26 in 45)
Austin 0.54 (20 in 37)
Rhodes 0.54
Grabban 0.48 (22 in 46)
Gestede 0.46 (13 in 28)
Vokes 0.44 (22 in 50)

Leo 0.42 (16 in 38)

Strange - someone else on here made up a fact then.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

According to soccerbase:

Ings 0.58 (26 in 45)
Austin 0.54 (20 in 37)
Rhodes 0.54
Grabban 0.48 (22 in 46)

Leo 0.42 (16 in 38)

As a percentage of the total league goals their clubs got:
McCormack 47%
Rhodes 36%
Grabban 33%
Austin 32%
Ings 29%
Ulloa 25%

To be fair to Ulloa, we weren't that attacking for much of the season. A meaningless stat perhaps, but interesting nonetheless.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

According to soccerbase:

Ings 0.58 (26 in 45)
Austin 0.54 (20 in 37)
Rhodes 0.54
Grabban 0.48 (22 in 46)
Gestede 0.46 (13 in 28)
Vokes 0.44 (22 in 50)
Nugent 0.43 (22 in 51)

Leo 0.42 (16 in 38)

Already posted elsewhere but put together some comparative stats on Ulloa and other Championship strikers HERE including Shots per Goals, Games per Goals etc.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Good stats?

These comparisons are hilarious. You can use stats to make any point you like.

1. Rhodes is 3 and a half years younger than Ulloa (let's get their age difference right for a start).
2. Rhodes is a completely different type of forward to Ulloa.
3. Rhodes played in a team that scores more goals than Brighton (6th in the division compared to 18th for goals scored) and is his team's penalty taker (Ulloa is seemingly no good at taking penalties).
4. Rhodes and Ulloa have a very similar shots-to-goals ratio (5.4 / 6.2), which would even out even more when taking the above factors into account.
5. Rhodes was sold when he was not yet proven in the Championship. If he were, he would have been sold for more.

At the end of the day, Ulloa is worth what someone is wiling to pay for him, based on a number of different factors, none of which include what was paid for Rhodes a couple of years ago.

Of course, you are right in that he's worth how much someone is willing to pay for him, however, these are the best comparisons you can make to try and have a guess at gauging his worth. As for point 3, Ulloa has been pretty much our only goalscorer/striker all season since Barnes left where's Blackburn have Gestede who scored 13 goals too. Regarding penalties, I find it amusing how people seem to dismiss them, a good penalty taker can be crucial, as Lambert proved at Southampton.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Already posted elsewhere but put together some comparative stats on Ulloa and other Championship strikers HERE including Shots per Goals, Games per Goals etc.

Well that would have said me 5mins of my life if you could have posted that 10mins earlier!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Good stats.

Now from watching the guy, we know that Leo is an excellent player, and there is much more to his game, that just the goals.

Which is just as well, because if you WERE judging by those stats, we wouldn't be getting close to £6m for him! Nobody is going to pay £6m for Troy Deeney...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good stats.

Now from watching the guy, we know that Leo is an excellent player, and there is much more to his game, that just the goals.

Which is just as well, because if you WERE judging by those stats, we wouldn't be getting close to £6m for him! Nobody is going to pay £6m for Troy Deeney...

What were Dwight Gayle's Championship scoring stats when he was bought for £6m?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I may be wrong but I thought he cost €2 million as opposed to £s.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
We want nearly 10M so maybe try for 9M. Imagine who we could sign with that added to the budget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here