Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa to Southampton for £6.5m?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When Rhodes is £8m, £6.5m isn't a LOT of money for Leo. It's about right.

Silly comparison. Apart from being a better player, Rhodes was 22 years old when that deal was made. Of course a 22 year Rhodes is worth more than a 28/29 year old Leo.

We do need a replacement lined up and I'd be confident Burke is working on this. Grabban is the obvious one. He is younger and with more potential to improve, plus we would make a big net profit. He allegedly has a £3m buy-out clause.

I can't see Cardiff selling Grabban just yet!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lambert isn't a great comparison either. He's 32 years old, therefore has no real sell-on potential for Liverpool. They might get a couple of good seasons out of him, tops, and then he'll either move on (downwards) or retire quietly.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Silly comparison. Apart from being a better player, Rhodes was 22 years old when that deal was made. Of course a 22 year Rhodes is worth more than a 28/29 year old Leo.

He's not that far a better player, and at 28 Leo could well be at or near his peak, hardly over the hill. There's been a ridiculous rewriting of history re: Ulloa over the last season, EXACTLY as there was for Murray when he left us. He's a QUALITY striker with an excellent strike rate.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree it is a silly comparison because of the age thing, but I can't say I'm convinced that Rhodes is a better player than Ulloa.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree it is a silly comparison because of the age thing, but I can't say I'm convinced that Rhodes is a better player than Ulloa.

Rhodes is quicker, and a better finisher (already - with six years to get better still). In all other areas of their play, yes, its open for debate.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Shirley the Saints have loads of strikers in their world famous academy.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Rhodes is quicker, and a better finisher (already - with six years to get better still). In all other areas of their play, yes, its open for debate.

Jordan Rhodes is now 24, Ulloa is soon to be 28, I make that 4 years not 6, or am I missing something?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I agree with your assessment of those attributes. But I'm struggling to believe Rhodes is as good in the air - certainly Ulloa was tremendous in the air in his first season. He was also holding the ball up fantastically before his first touch appeared to desert him. And even when he's playing crap, Ulloa still scores goals.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's not that far a better player, and at 28 Leo could well be at or near his peak, hardly over the hill. There's been a ridiculous rewriting of history re: Ulloa over the last season, EXACTLY as there was for Murray when he left us. He's a QUALITY striker with an excellent strike rate.

I think he IS an excellent striker. That's why we'll get £6m+ for him.
There's been no re-writing from me - there have been comparisons with Rhodes lots of times over the last year or so, and I've ALWAYS maintained that Rhodes (and Wickham, in the relvant threads) is the better player.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Jordan Rhodes is now 24, Ulloa is soon to be 28, I make that 4 years not 6, or am I missing something?

Yes - sorry.

I was talking about the 22 year old Rhodes - which is what he was when Blackburn paid the £8m for him. Obviously he is only 4 years younger now. My fault.

Aug 23, 2011
I think its fairly obvious that we are signing Moyes as a manager as he did very well with Everton when they had no strikers for about 2 seasons so we are just cashing in on our assets that we won't need next season

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
There's been no re-writing from me - there have been comparisons with Rhodes lots of times over the last year or so, and I've ALWAYS maintained that Rhodes (and Wickham, in the relvant threads) is the better player.

Say we did sell for £6m plus, would we have to pay Ulloa his remaining 3 years salary as he's not asked for a move? If that's the case then it's a shit deal for us.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
When you look at the stats, I think Rhodes clearly has the edge on Ulloa. 54 goals in the last two seasons despite Blackburn hardly pulling up any trees and a goal to game ratio of 0.54 this season compared to Ulloa's 0.40. Given the 4 year age gap too, I'd say (although it's hard to put an exact price) that he's worth at least £3m more than Ulloa. So IF we got £6.5m it would be a good price.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Say we did sell for £6m plus, would we have to pay Ulloa his remaining 3 years salary as he's not asked for a move? If that's the case then it's a shit deal for us.

We wont need to pay him anything on his current contract, as soon as he has signed his new contract the old one is effectively void.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Rhodes is slightly better, agreed. Hence him being the only player in the whole Championship last season with a better strike rate than an under-par Leo.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If that were the case, then we wouldn't sell.

When you look at the stats, I think Rhodes clearly has the edge on Ulloa. 54 goals in the last two seasons despite Blackburn hardly pulling up any trees and a goal to game ratio of 0.54 this season compared to Ulloa's 0.40. Given the 4 year age gap too, I'd say (although it's hard to put an exact price) that he's worth at least £3m more than Ulloa. So IF we got £6.5m it would be a good price.

About right. Good stats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here