UK Comedy Cup - Group A
UK Comedy Cup - Group B
UK Comedy Cup - Group C
UK Comedy Cup - Group D
UK Comedy Cup - Group E
UK Comedy Cup - Group F

Group H
===

The last Group gets underway. In my opinion, 2 great comedies and 2 others making up the numbers - for once it might go as planned....could it?

Breeders - 2020-2023, 40 episodes

1701354901056.png

Slightly surprised to see here, with Martin Freeman appearing for the first of 2 times in this group. Sky One comedy about modern parenting. This snuck in, but I suspect it won't have had enough viewers to make much of a dent in this tournament.

The Office - 1994, 7 episodes

1701354944884.png

Such a huge show at the time - the birth of the mockumentary genre, and kickstarted the career of Ricky Gervais amongst others. Influenced a whole generation of men to talk a certain way. The show is endlessly quotable, but with a real warmth and pathos that elevates it above peers IMO - most likely the influence of Merchant, given the clumsiness of some of Gervais' future works without Merchant. This could go far.

Nathan Barley - 2005, 7 episodes

1701355159625.png

Still relevant at times, but equally feels very of it's time, much like The Mighty Boosh. I enjoyed it back in 2005 but I'm not sure how I'd find it now if I went back. A Chris Morris & Charlie Brooker creation, so whilst very funny it was also dripping with cynicism, which I have to admit I can find a bit wearing after a while.

Peep Show - 2003-2015, 54 episodes

1701355343786.png

The strength of this show really lies in the dialogue and the performance - Jez and Mark are such well-created characters, and we all know people who are a bit of a Mark, or a bit of a Jez. A great show with a number of classic episodes.

===
Reminder - Two qualify from each group into the Round of 16. You have ONE vote per group, so use it wisely. Please feel free to link to relevant YouTube videos, or justify your chosen comedy in writing.

Each Group will run for 5 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!​

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
a tough one

Breeders- never heard of it
The Office- I was exactly the right age for this when it came out and feel like I could go back to it at any time
Nathan Barley- god I loved this, but feel like it's perhaps too niche to take on the two titans of this group. As it was mainly set in a very particular place and time it did manage to predict the hipster movement which hadn't quite left that one area of London at that point. I went for a job interview in 2017 in Brighton for a company that was basically Sugar Ape.
Peep Show- Can't look beyond this really, it's my favourite series of all time so it's getting my vote

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm certain I find myself voting for the show that will come bottom of its group (again). All I'll say is that it's TOTALLY FCUKING MEXICO!

Peep Show was (is) brilliant though, so would be a worthy winner and The Office is iconic (and is nailed on to win with it's broad appeal).

I haven't seen Breeders (no evil Sky in my house). Do any fans of it fancy explaining what I'm missing? TVM!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Office and Peep Show are going to walk this.

Peep Show just shades it for me. They managed to keep it consistently funny for all 9 series. Plus I've got a Super Hans quote as my signature, so I have to vote for it really.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Office and Peep Show are going to walk this.

Peep Show just shades it for me. They managed to keep it consistently funny for all 9 series. Plus I've got a Super Hans quote as my signature, so I have to vote for it really.
I can't decide between the two.

1701359195878.png

I definitely had a thing for Aurora from the great Quantocking episode though...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm wondering if you misunderstood The Office. The cringe moments were the point, no?
I know that Mellotron, but that kind of humour puts me off, I did not find myself laughing or shifting about in my seat feeling uncomfortably on his behalf, I wanted to punch him, can't stand folks like him, I have met too many to find them funny.

Different strokes for different folks etc

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm certain I find myself voting for the show that will come bottom of its group (again). All I'll say is that it's TOTALLY FCUKING MEXICO!

Peep Show was (is) brilliant though, so would be a worthy winner and The Office is iconic (and is nailed on to win with it's broad appeal).

I haven't seen Breeders (no evil Sky in my house). Do any fans of it fancy explaining what I'm missing? TVM!
It's a little bit (but only a little bit) like Outnumbered inasmuch as it relies a bit on the conflict between the generations, and the kids' parents are stuck in the middle having to look after the generations below and above. It's not bad at all, albeit a bit patchy.

And as a complete O/T aside - why do you think Sky is 'evil'?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
“That crack is really moreish” and “Four naans” are from the same episode of Peep Show and for some reason that always blows my mind.
that's blown my mind

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Finally backing one that will definitely make it through.

Peep show for me, as it still stands up today.
The office was great when it first came out and remains a trailblazer.
But it's appeal lessens, with each subsequent TV appearance by Gervais.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I know that Mellotron, but that kind of humour puts me off, I did not find myself laughing or shifting about in my seat feeling uncomfortably on his behalf, I wanted to punch him, can't stand folks like him, I have met too many to find them funny.

Different strokes for different folks etc
It was incredibly well observed though.

It's just Gervais for me.
The more I get to see of him, the less I like his shows.

I prefer the American Office.
Carrel plays the character, so much better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here