Brighton
Links to all Group Stage threads;
UK Comedy Cup - Group A
UK Comedy Cup - Group B
UK Comedy Cup - Group C
UK Comedy Cup - Group D

Group D
===

Another humdinger of a group - this tournament is really getting going now. 3 games a day stuff.

Blackadder (all series) - 1982-1999, 26 episodes

1700482324230.png

An absolute institution of a comedy. A bookies favourite pre-tournament. No further comment necessary.

Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights - 2001-2002, 12 episodes

1700481935191.png

For many this is a classic, for me it's certainly stronger than anything else Peter Kay has done since (although I did enjoy That Peter Kay Thing). Would hope to progress.

Only Fools & Horses - 1981-2003, 64 episodes

1700481963211.png

If the appropriate demographic come out in force, this could go far. Wildly popular sitcom back in the day. He fell through the bar, remember? Oh and that chandelier. Rodney you plonker.

Spaced - 1999-2001, 14 episodes

1700482294288.png

Poor Spaced. A brutal group for them. Enjoyable comedy back in the day (which ultimately led to Shaun of the Dead and the rest of the Cornetto Trilogy) but I can't see it doing much here.

===​
Reminder - Two qualify from each group into the Round of 16. You have ONE vote per group, so use it wisely. Please feel free to link to relevant YouTube videos, or justify your chosen comedy in writing.

Each Group will run for 5 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!​

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Blackadder definitely. Only one weak episode and that was the first one of series 1. OFAH only had 2 good bits in Lord knows how many series and they have been listed in the OP - a vastly overrated show :)

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Sad to see Phoenix Nights fall away in the group stages as it is and remains comedy gold of the highest quality! ...Shabba!
Maybe they qualify through the play offs. It has to be Blackadder for its joyful one liners, brilliant characters and seemless evolution

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sad to see Phoenix Nights fall away in the group stages as it is and remains comedy gold of the highest quality! ...Shabba!
Maybe they qualify through the play offs. It has to be Blackadder for its joyful one liners, brilliant characters and seemless evolution
Early days yet. I could see Phoenix Nights given Fools a run for it's money for that 2nd placed spot.

For me Blackadder IS the strongest comedy in the group, but I am sorely tempted to vote tactically for Phoenix Nights.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i think the last few minutes of the last episode will live on in most peoples minds ....far from humour but an over the falls , kick up the arse , whilst sat drinking your horlicks and munching on a digestive ...a masterstroke.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Tough

Blackadder - and in particular the Flashhart episodes - were superb, often historically accurate and very funny.

Phoenix nights was again superb. Still hum "Come and get your black bin bags" whenever I'm purchasing in Sainsbury's.

OFAH, some classic moments but an awful lot of dross in there as well.

Spaced - Good but not in the other 3s league

Blackadder. Just.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Slackbladder by a mile

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Personal Opinion - Blackadder all the way but this is a strong group, group of death one might say. I also massively love Only fools and Horses, but I think Blackadder was a great development story in each season with funny moments bringing lots of laughs, whilst OFAH was a lot of incredibly funny one off moments, The story kind of played a second part to the one off moments - great story but maybe Blackadder nails that part more. So a close balance between them.

Phoenix Nights was also great "get back ya bastad or i'll break ya legs", Spaced is very unlucky to be in this group, more cult than a classic sadly but I'd say Blackadder wins with OFAH a close second, if the two were in a final I wouldn't have any idea who wins genuinely as I think a lot of the alternative votes in this group will be crucial to the overall winner. I'll call it, these two in the final.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can't you reseed Blackadder and Only Fools & Horses? Very tough having them in the same group.
Controversially, there was no seeding for this tournament, as no clear track record to go on.

From whenever I do this again next, there WILL be seeding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here