UK Comedy Cup - Group B
UK Comedy Cup - Group C
UK Comedy Cup - Group D

Group A
===

Fleabag -
2016-2019, 12 episodes

1700261497864.png

It's weirdly a bit like Miranda (in one specific sense - in that the slightly posh main character breaks the forth wall frequently to make witty asides), but it's actually good. The finale packed an emotional punch that affected many.

Fawlty Towers - 1975-1979, 12 episodes

1700261544656.png

An absolute colossus of a show. John Cleese heads up one of the most tightly written sitcoms of all time. Needs no further introduction. Would expect to top the group if all goes as planned.

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - 2009-Present, 24 episodes

1700261726530.png

I have mixed feelings about Stewart Lee. I'm fully aware he is a very, very clever comedian, but I feel he labours that point a little, sometimes. Have to admit I haven't given this much time, but I'm sure it's very good. Any fans, please feel free to provide video evidence of said humour. Can Stewart make it through? Would he even want to? Doesn't seem one for a mainstream popularity contest like this.

The Detectorists - 2014-2022, 20 episodes

1700261822515.png

Gentle, warm, quaint, glorifying in the mundanity of small-town life. Quintessentially British. Could be a tough ask to make it out of the group, but feels like the 2nd spot is up for grabs.

Reminder - Two qualify from each group into the Round of 16. You have ONE vote per group, so use it wisely. Please feel free to link to relevant YouTube videos, or justify your chosen comedy in writing.

Each Group will run for 5 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!​

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fleabag for me
Fawlty Towers was brilliant, but we're in 2023 and it hasn't aged well. Sybil is one of the most underrated comedy characters/performances
I love Stewart Lee but, alongside the other comedy greats (Hicks, Morris, Prior), recognise that he's niche.
Mellotron has it spot on in describing Detectorists as quaint. Too quaint to do it.

A fab four though.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This is a real group of death already. I accept SL will fail here but I think it's brilliant. FT is so loved but i never thought it was as brilliant as others. Both Fleabag and Dectorists were genius. I think I'd have to go Fleabag as I remember finishing that and just thinking WOW.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Just one winner for me here. Stood the test of time. Young generations love it just as much as the older.

Not surprised to see it in the lead.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Watched a bit of Fleabag and didn’t have me laughing out loud like FT still does.
Haven’t watched the other 2.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Detectorists however Fleabag was very funny

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I saw Stewart Lee brilliantly destroy Fleabag at the Dome but Basil still gets my vote. The premise of a misanthrope working in hospitality trying to stay patient and polite but continually blowing their fuse is pure brilliance.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
As good as Fleabag is, I can't warm to it. Girly TV that my wife Hoover's up but leaves me cold.
I can't argue, she puts up with enough football. Stewart Lee is unbearably smug albeit I do enjoy his stuff when in the right mood. I find Fawlty Towers unwatchable waiting for the next calamity to happen.

The Dectectorists for me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just a nudge for anyone who hasn’t voted, and to confirm Groups C & D will go live later this evening.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Fawlty Towers the weakest here IMO. A cringeworthy angry idiot running a hotel? Not for me, Clive.

I voted Detectorists as it's just so gentle, warm and yet cleverly funny.
On another day I'd have voted Fleabag as it's equally brilliant.
Lee is very good, but THESE DAYS you just can't say some the things he comes out with.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I suspect Stewart Lee would be very disappointed, to find himself beaten to last place by Fleabag.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Some of these group's are very tough! I love the Detectorists but has to be Fawlty Towers.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Was caught between Fleabag and The Detectorists. Love FT, but it’s time for something new.

Either way, looks like neither of my two choices are going to win.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I suspect Stewart Lee would be very disappointed, to find himself beaten to last place by Fleabag.
I actually think with his elistist viewpoint he would feel vindicated at coming bottom in a popular vote.

He is aggressively not for the mainstream.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Anyone who does not get Fawlty Towers presumably was too young to stay in a UK Hotel in the 1970's, spot on observational humour.

And by the way, the Germans did start it, they invaded Poland!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I actually think with his elistist viewpoint he would feel vindicated at coming bottom in a popular vote.

He is aggressively not for the mainstream.
That was the point I was trying to make.

Fleabag being less accessible than him?
Unthinkable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here