UK Comedy Cup - Group A
UK Comedy Cup - Group B
UK Comedy Cup - Group C
UK Comedy Cup - Group D
UK Comedy Cup - Group E
UK Comedy Cup - Group F

Group E
===

We move into the second half of the group stage. Some might disagree, but for me this is the weakest group in the tournament. Not a single show I would really get behind, but I have to acknowledge it's also the group I'm least familiar with. My vote is up for sale, SELL ME A SHOW!

Early Doors - 2003-2004, 12 episodes

1700820264560.png

I have a feeling this is a show I'd probably quite like. Just never got round to it.

Not The Nine O'Clock News - 1979-1982, 29 episodes

1700820402378.png

See my Early Doors comment.

Psychoville - 2009-2011, 14 episodes

1700820660247.png

The League of Gentlemen/Inside No. 9 team at their darkest. Watched a few episodes, quite enjoyed it but it didn't quite grab me as much as their other works have done. Steve Pemberton is so good at playing horribly bleak, depressing characters though.

The Thick Of It - 2005-2012, 24 episodes

1700820785455.png

Another show I am certain I would like, but have only watched a handful of episodes.

===
Reminder - Two qualify from each group into the Round of 16. You have ONE vote per group, so use it wisely. Please feel free to link to relevant YouTube videos, or justify your chosen comedy in writing.

Each Group will run for 5 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!​

Attachments

• 1700820786182.png
    1700820786182.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Aaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhh!!

My personal group of death.
Concerned the NSC demographic will push Not the nine-o'clock news through.

Psychoville is my all time favourite "comedy" show.
Utter genius.
The Thick of it runs it a close second.
And Early Doors was my dark horse pick.

Going to be disappointed what ever happens from this group.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
D'you want a soapy tit-wank?
Shut the f*** up, or f*** the f*** off.

There's only one winner, despite the joys of NTNOCN at the time.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The Thick Of It was great.
I have enjoyed some sketches from Not The 9o'clock News, but never seen a whole episode. For that matter, I don't think I even remember the actual 9 o'clock news.

Never seen the other two.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
NTNON was ground-breaking at the time, and I loved it, but looking back on it, it wouldn't make the top 10 sketch shows of the last 50 years.
However my 13 year old self did enjoy Pamela Stephenson's "comedy".

Disappointing to see it run away with the group.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Surely The Thick of It is a documentary about the current government?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I assumed that not the nine O'clock news wouldn't stand the test of time. But watching some of the classics it really does stand up. It would get my vote for Constable Savage alone. But so many classics. Gerald the gorilla. The 'life of brian' debate. Lufthansa terminal and 'nice video'. Kinda Lingers.

I am also a huge fan of The Thick Of It, but not sure it counts as satire or comedy anymore, now that it has been overtaken by real events.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I assumed that not the nine O'clock news wouldn't stand the test of time. But watching some of the classics it really does stand up. It would get my vote for Constable Savage alone. But so many classics. Gerald the gorilla. The 'life of brian' debate. Lufthansa terminal and 'nice video'. Kinda Lingers. Never met a nice south african (Ok, that one may be dated now, but at the time...).

I am also a huge fan of The Thick Of It, but not sure it counts as satire or comedy anymore, now that it has been overtaken by real events.
Spitting image, no?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I assumed that not the nine O'clock news wouldn't stand the test of time. But watching some of the classics it really does stand up. It would get my vote for Constable Savage alone. But so many classics. Gerald the gorilla. The 'life of brian' debate. Lufthansa terminal and 'nice video'. Kinda Lingers.

Yeah, I'm with you. I also feel that TTOI, whilst undeniably brilliant is a little bit same-y. The humour in NTNON is very varied, I guess from having four very different individuals contributing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The Gramophone, Gerald the Gorilla and Constable Savage for me (together with some great songs) :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Has to be The Thick Of It, I still regularly use the term "NOMFUP" for things at work, even if only to myself

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've gone for NTNOCN but could easily have picked The Thick of It. So, I'm happy to see both of them leading the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here