UK Comedy Cup - Group A
UK Comedy Cup - Group B
UK Comedy Cup - Group C
UK Comedy Cup - Group D
UK Comedy Cup - Group E
UK Comedy Cup - Group F

Group F
===

A solid group including a strong contender, IMO.

Drop The Dead Donkey - 1990-1998, 66 episodes

1700821253164.png

A show I am not very familiar with. Please, enlighten me.

Red Dwarf - 1988-2020, 74 episodes

1700821358291.png

I remember being strangely drawn to this as a child. I was a bit too young for it, so it felt a bit dangerous and exciting. I watched an episode a couple of years back and I'm not convinced it has aged that well. Lots of chat about SMEG. A whopping 74 episodes, blimey.

I'm Alan Partridge - 1997-2002, 12 episodes

1700821503124.png

For me, a stone cold classic. A stronger first series IMO, but both are still top level comedy. The only representation for Alan at this tournament, despite some wonderful moments in Mid Morning Matters and This Time.

This Country - 2017-2020, 19 episodes

1700821747033.png

Really happy to see this made the cut - one of my favourite comedies of the past 5-10 years. Revels in the most bog standard mundanity (dump club, panini stickers, chicken dinosaurs) as Kerry and Kurtan manage to have one of the dullest existences ever, whilst still retaining a sweetness. The supporting cast are great too (Mandy is the most terrifying neighbour of all time, and the Vicar is a superb character for them to play off as well).

Along with People Just Do Nothing, the torchbearers for the second generation of mockumentaries.

Safe to say, I'm a fan, so it almost definitely won't progress.

===
Reminder - Two qualify from each group into the Round of 16. You have ONE vote per group, so use it wisely. Please feel free to link to relevant YouTube videos, or justify your chosen comedy in writing.

Each Group will run for 5 days, to allow plenty of time for voting.

VOTE NOW!​

Attachments

• 1700821358599.png
    1700821358599.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 1700821503285.png
    1700821503285.png
    561 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd be VERY happy to end the group voting now - Partridge and This Country in joint first place.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Remember liking Drop the Dead Donkey back when it was on, but its got to be a vote for the boys from the Dwarf for me.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is a tough one. It's Red Dwarf vs Partridge for me. Both absulote genius in their prime. Both should probably have quit when they were ahead.

Going to have to come back to this.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Red Dwarf at its best was great (I've been watching them all on iPlayer recently).
There's an awful lot of it which isn't it at its best though.
Yes! At its best it was brilliant. But it went on and on and on and on and on and for me the dross outweighs the good stuff. Alan Partridge should walk this group, so I voted for the DtDD. Obviously chunks of it have dated terribly as its USP was to satire topical news stories, but the main comedy underneath is still sharp. (And unlike Red Dwarf it knew when to quit).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Could have picked Partridge, Red Dwarf or DTDD quite easily. In the end have not voted for Partridge because, if you're going to include him, you HAVE to have The Day Today.

I'm still not sure there's been a better series ever than The Day Today. Other than Father Ted, of course.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes! At its best it was brilliant. But it went on and on and on and on and on and for me the dross outweighs the good stuff. Alan Partridge should walk this group, so I voted for the DtDD. Obviously chunks of it have dated terribly as its USP was to satire topical news stories, but the main comedy underneath is still sharp. (And unlike Red Dwarf it knew when to quit).
Nicely summed up. I do think the fact DtDD got so dated so quickly should count against it though.

Alan should walk this, but you can make a case for each of the other 3 to finish a poor second and thus lose in the knockout stages. It's not a group of death for me as there are glaring flaws in all 3 of the also rans here.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Had to go for dtdd love partridge but dtdd was brilliant in the mid 90s

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Stoke me a clipper, I’ll be back for Christmas

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I ended up going for Red Dwarf because I want to see it get through, even though Partridge should be a clear winner.
Red Dwarf has always been one of my favourite shows and I re-watch it every couple of years. I just pretend there wasn't anything after series 6.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Could have picked Partridge, Red Dwarf or DTDD quite easily. In the end have not voted for Partridge because, if you're going to include him, you HAVE to have The Day Today.

I'm still not sure there's been a better series ever than The Day Today. Other than Father Ted, of course.
The Day Today is still to come in this tournament.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here