Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tyre Extinguishers

Is the action of Tyre Extinguishers justified?

• Yes there's a climate crisis

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Not sure, fence

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • No it's unreasonable

Votes: 75 75.8%

• Total voters

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Last edited:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
‘Gas guzzlers’ are pretty unnecessary, yes. Loads of things are unnecessary and environmentally damaging.

That around 30% of respondents either support or may support criminal damage of peoples’ property says everything you need to know about the absolute state of a lot of people on this forum. Morons.

So you are the authority on what is necessary or not.

That is good to know.

hornelius

Mar 16, 2022
Police are now investigating this, so hopefully we can catch the vandals and bring this ridiculous act to an end https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19999532.police-investigation-launched-tyres-deflated-brighton-hove/

This is another example of where our councils anti-car, pro-cycling policy is making others think they can get away with vandalism. The fact they are also trying to bring back failed and removed cycle lanes, such as the Old Shoreham Road is yet another example of how little our council care about drivers - if you haven't signed the petition asking for the route to be removed from the cycling plan yet, please do - here:

https://democracy.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=803&RPID=52289404&HPID=52289404

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I see this trend is continuing and locally too.

I've heard of hybrid vehicles being targeted based on their apparent size.
There are many SUV sized vehicles now which are PHEV and even full electric. When you compare current hybrid power-train vehicle emissions to those of small cars just 30 or 40 years ago this would highlight how misguided their efforts could really be.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/201...stigation-tyre-extinguishers-action-brighton/

POLICE have launched an investigation after hundreds of tyres were deflated by activists in a single night.

The Tyre Extinguishers said its supporters targeted 250 SUVS in Brighton and Hove on Monday night.

The group said it did so in an attempt to “make it impossible” to own the vehicles in urban areas.

The group had previously declared Brighton and Hove “the most extinguished city in the UK”, with more tyres deflated here than anywhere else in the country.

Cars in Preston Park, Balfour Road, Lowther Road and Maldon Road in Brighton, The Drive in Hove and Newells Close in Woodingdean, were among those targeted in a two-month period.

Drivers woke to find at least one of their tyres had been let down and a leaflet stating “your gas guzzler kills” placed on their windscreen.

Marion Walker, of the Tyre Extinguishers, said: "It's exciting to see how fast the campaign is spreading.

“Anyone can join in where they are. We want to see SUVs put in the dustbin of history, and this is the fastest way to do it."

The group describes itself as “leaderless” and encourages people to take action by reading instructions on how to deflate tyres on its website.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Don't worry, the government are trying to make any sort of protest illegal.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bunch of parasites causing misery to many. If they came round mine I’d take whatever action needed to protect my property. I have a Tiguan which probably comes into their criteria, not for gas guzzling or some kind of prestige (a first for VW) but I have mobility issues that require a higher car to get in an out of. Unfortunately these people don’t think deeply enough about the s**t they cause and expense to the individuals targeted.
They are taking advantage of a lack of p9lice resource.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bunch of parasites causing misery to many. If they came round mine I’d take whatever action needed to protect my property. I have a Tiguan which probably comes into their criteria, not for gas guzzling or some kind of prestige (a first for VW) but I have mobility issues that require a higher car to get in an out of. Unfortunately these people don’t think deeply enough about the s**t they cause and expense to the individuals targeted.
They are taking advantage of a lack of p9lice resource.

Misery and expense - a £25 tyre inflator from Amazon (use NSC link) plug into car lighter socket, inconvenience time 5 mins? Worth having one of those handy anyway to keep tyre pressures at max. efficiency.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/201...stigation-tyre-extinguishers-action-brighton/

POLICE have launched an investigation after hundreds of tyres were deflated by activists in a single night.

The Tyre Extinguishers said its supporters targeted 250 SUVS in Brighton and Hove on Monday night.

The group said it did so in an attempt to “make it impossible” to own the vehicles in urban areas.

The group had previously declared Brighton and Hove “the most extinguished city in the UK”, with more tyres deflated here than anywhere else in the country.

Cars in Preston Park, Balfour Road, Lowther Road and Maldon Road in Brighton, The Drive in Hove and Newells Close in Woodingdean, were among those targeted in a two-month period.

Drivers woke to find at least one of their tyres had been let down and a leaflet stating “your gas guzzler kills” placed on their windscreen.

Marion Walker, of the Tyre Extinguishers, said: "It's exciting to see how fast the campaign is spreading.

“Anyone can join in where they are. We want to see SUVs put in the dustbin of history, and this is the fastest way to do it."

The group describes itself as “leaderless” and encourages people to take action by reading instructions on how to deflate tyres on its website.

They've let themselves down there

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I see this trend is continuing and locally too.

I've heard of hybrid vehicles being targeted based on their apparent size.
There are many SUV sized vehicles now which are PHEV and even full electric. When you compare current hybrid power-train vehicle emissions to those of small cars just 30 or 40 years ago this would highlight how misguided their efforts could really be.

It is a mistake to think that PHEV or full EV are simply the answer. They still require energy which needs generating. The larger the car the more energy it needs. While an electric vehicle has no emissions directly, it has emissions from the generated energy it uses.

We seem to be falling into a trap of just thinking we swap out all the existing cars for the same but just electric. That doesn't even cross into the discussion of there being too many vehicles on the roads generally, not enough parking etc. etc.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It is a mistake to think that PHEV or full EV are simply the answer. They still require energy which needs generating. The larger the car the more energy it needs. While an electric vehicle has no emissions directly, it has emissions from the generated energy it uses.

We seem to be falling into a trap of just thinking we swap out all the existing cars for the same but just electric. That doesn't even cross into the discussion of there being too many vehicles on the roads generally, not enough parking etc. etc.

I rode to work on a 55 year old 2 stroke 50cc scooter today, just for a laugh . . . still got air in my tyres

I have a 4 Hummer entourage to keep me surrounded on the road. :lolol:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My rheumatologist was an hour and a half late yesterday due to having her tires deflated.
This led to the waiting rooms packed with people like myself slowly seizing up sitting on our arses.
:moo:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

The Tyre Extinguishing community understand that and make no exceptions for Hybrid and EV vehicles .

http://www.tyreextinguishers.com/how-to-deflate-an-suv-tyre

" Hybrids and electric cars are fair game. We cannot electrify our way out of the climate crisis - there are not enough rare earth metals to replace everyone’s car and the mining of these metals causes suffering. Plus, the danger to other road users still stands, as does the air pollution (PM 2.5 pollution is still produced from tyres and brake pads). "

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX

They're not the answer to the problems decades of polluting has caused. With proper battery recycling however they can be far better for the planet long term.

This all pales into comparison when you also consider the largely unregulated marine emissions until recently, and aircraft of course. Cars in Brighton and Hove are a drop in the ocean of worldwide airborne combustion byproducts, quite literally.

It's a small minded approach sadly which only inconveniences local people who are absolutely not to blame for wider global issues on climate change.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They're not the answer to the problems decades of polluting has caused. With proper battery recycling however they can be far better for the planet long term.

This all pales into comparison when you also consider the largely unregulated marine emissions until recently, and aircraft of course. Cars in Brighton and Hove are a drop in the ocean of worldwide airborne combustion byproducts, quite literally.

It's a small minded approach sadly which only inconveniences local people who are absolutely not to blame for wider global issues on climate change.

I was replying to the point you made asking why they would be targeting different types of vehicles. Your above reply is a difference point entirely to the one you made previously.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I was replying to the point you made asking why they would be targeting different types of vehicles. Your above reply is a difference point entirely to the one you made previously.

Not really, EV and PHEV are natural engineering product development strategies to meet changing emissions regulations domestically and changing market trends, company BIK rates. Targeting them by deflating tyres, regardless of their size is farcical and will have little impact beyond their tiny minds.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not really, EV and PHEV are natural engineering product development strategies to meet changing emissions regulations domestically and changing market trends, company BIK rates. Targeting them by deflating tyres, regardless of their size is farcical and will have little impact beyond their tiny minds.

It's almost as farcical as idiots buying huge sized tank vehicles to drive the kids to school on normal roads. So at least they're in good company.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
It's almost as farcical as idiots buying huge sized tank vehicles to drive the kids to school on normal roads. So at least they're in good company.

Yes neither acts impact policy, taxation or legislation to drive any real change so why start a campaign of local vigilante action which borders criminality?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here