Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tyre Extinguishers

Is the action of Tyre Extinguishers justified?

• Yes there's a climate crisis

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Not sure, fence

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • No it's unreasonable

Votes: 75 75.8%

• Total voters

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Bearing in mind that a lot of people will have to call out tow trucks/tyre companies all they're doing is adding to the problem. Also most SUV's are very economical with small diesel engines and stop/start technology.

People that do this kind of thing don't tend to be the brightest.

My current car has lower emissions and better MPG than my wife's petrol Mini. That said mine is a diesel which is about to be replaced by a PHEV running electric and petrol, with even better MPG, lower emissions and 45 mile (WLTP) range on battery.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
My current car has lower emissions and better MPG than my wife's petrol Mini. That said mine is a diesel which is about to be replaced by a PHEV running electric and petrol, with even better MPG, lower emissions and 45 mile (WLTP) range on battery.

Exactly. They wouldn't target my Mini either but it's a Cooper S with a 2ltr petrol engine. Thick twunts.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Now it's in the news I expect they'll be under the pump

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I hate 4x4/SUV's with a passion

hybrid is the immediate way forward

the environmental impact of EV's is unknow as we don't know the true lifespan yet. . I doubt theyre as good as some people make out.

All modern cars are littered with plastic which is bad.

the best car we have is probably my mk1 Cortina, all metal hardly any plastic at all, 60 years old, due to being half the weight of a modern car its almost as economical. its sustainable, maintainable and recyclable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am sure this website is biased, and of course don't believe everything you read on the internet, but this article suggests that is not the case

https://www.transportenvironment.org/discover/batteries-vs-oil-comparison-raw-material-needs/

"EV. Under the EU’s current recycling recovery rate target, [regarding electric cars] around 30 kilograms of metals would be lost (i.e. not recovered). That’s about the size of a football.

In contrast, the study shows that the weight of petrol or diesel that is burned during the average lifetime of a vehicle is around 300-400 times more than the total quantity of battery cells metals ‘lost’. Over its lifetime, an average ICE car burns close to 17,000 litres of petrol, which would be equivalent to a stack of oil barrels 90m high."

the article on the Greenpeace website also suggests that electric vehicles, while not perfect, are better than petrol/diesel vehicles.

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/electric-cars-greener-petrol-cars/

The mining for the Lithium, Cobalt etc is doing untold damage.
As will the recycling of the old batteries when they begin to reach the end of their cycle.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My neighbour was having some building work done on his house. This morning the site was trashed and Green Party leaflets were plastered all over his cement mixer. Yes, it was those pesky Extension Rebellion protestors.

(Sorry, that probably should have been a 'Joke Du Jour' it's that bad).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm against it, unless its a Range Rover with a private plate

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As will the recycling of the old batteries when they begin to reach the end of their cycle.

That's why I posted those two links, they give an overview of all the issues, and they seem to suggest that whilst the battery production and disposal is bad, it's less bad than the use of petrol and diesel. Furthermore they also say that battery production and disposal is already miles ahead on matters of ethical, environmental and recycling, hence the headline statistic about the recycling of electric cars compared to petrol/diesel cars.

I guess you can interpret what is written in several ways, but I think both of those articles seem balanced. Both are clear that production and running of electric vehicles is significantly better than those using fossil fuels, and it's getting better.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, that is, or should be, a concern. And while I don't condone vandalism, Chelsea tractors are an unnecessary blot on the landscape.

I do wonder whether the carbon footprint involved in scrapping a working car and building a brand new one to replace it is actually better than someone who can't afford a new car just running their 15-29 year old Ford Fiesta or Nissan Micra until it expores.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:lolol:

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
"SUVs and 4x4s are a disaster for our health, our public safety and our climate"
Hard to disagree with this statement. The Chelsea Tractor is a completely egregious vanity item esp in urban areas.

Meanwhile re petrol vs electric and life cycle carbon impact, BBC R4's More or Less investigated this last week https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014x0f
The conclusion was that the Greenhouse Gas/environmentally deleterious impact was initially worse for current EVs until about 3 years of age, when the benefits of cleaner fuel started to outweigh the negative impacts. Worth a listen.

Of course if the country can rely more on renewable energy, using electricity becomes more sustainable. Not much good if we are burning fossil fuels to run EVs.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
"SUVs and 4x4s are a disaster for our health, our public safety and our climate"
Hard to disagree with this statement. The Chelsea Tractor is a completely egregious vanity item esp in urban areas.

Meanwhile re petrol vs electric and life cycle carbon impact, BBC R4's More or Less investigated this last week https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014x0f
The conclusion was that the Greenhouse Gas/environmentally deleterious impact was initially worse for current EVs until about 3 years of age, when the benefits of cleaner fuel started to outweigh the negative impacts. Worth a listen.

Of course if the country can rely more on renewable energy, using electricity becomes more sustainable. Not much good if we are burning fossil fuels to run EVs.

Far too of an informed and sensible response in a thread like this.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I do wonder whether the carbon footprint involved in scrapping a working car and building a brand new one to replace it is actually better than someone who can't afford a new car just running their 15-29 year old Ford Fiesta or Nissan Micra until it expores.

I wondered earlier this too and asked NSC back in 2019. I took the consensus response of the undoubted cognoscenti to be that it was better to use the already created car until the end of its working life rather than cause more use of raw materials and more GHG emission inherent in the production of a new vehicle.
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...t-Environmentally-Friendly-Vehicle&highlight=
(Notwithstanding that is probably better not to own a car in future at all, hire one or use car club when really necessary maybe.)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
e06be136-bmw-e30-vs-x07-grille-2.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here