Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Transfer Deadline Day

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm pretty disappointed with this transfer window now.

Not in missing out on Gonzalez.

Not in missing out on Nunez.

But very disappointed in loaning out Zeqiri given where we are with the strike force.

And then to compound this with the plan to loan out the potential new young striker to Stoke. :nono:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah I totally agree with this, and I trust Potter to change our attacking play to increase the quality of our goal opportunities.
I strongly suspect that the need for a new striker is actually lower than many people think.
Lamptey and Cucurella may well be the answer, rather than Nunez or Edouard.

Potter will be focusing on what he can improve within our attacking play.
However I still feel he's been let down in the number of players being released in this window.
Although I wouldn't put it past him to coach Richards into this season's revelation.
Agree with that except the highlighted bit. I think the club have done a good job moving on those we don't need/aren't good enough (except they've failed to do that with Locadia, but given how bad he is, that's forgiveable!) and the loan outs are mostly exactly what's required. The only downsides on the loan front are that a loan for Connolly isn't one of them, and sorry to see the back of Molumby, and quite possibly Zeqiri.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

But very disappointed in loaning out Zeqiri given where we are with the strike force.

And then to compound this with the plan to loan out the potential new young striker to Stoke. :nono:
Exactly my thoughts, seems a bizarre situation if it pans out this way. There must be a plan behind it.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I agree with those who are frustrated, Maupay breaks a leg against Brentford then suddenly we are left with an injury prone Welbeck and Connolly who cannot score to get us to the January window.

If we don’t get a new striker I have two main thoughts:

1. It makes us more likely to lose our manager sooner than we would have. Of course he says all the right things publicly but the club, despite I’m sure trying very hard, are simply not giving him the tools to do his job.

2. I would like an explanation from Barber as to the strategy and logic behind our transfer strategy. Before people start yelling ‘why should he’ at me, we are the people who pour our money into the club and although not all are many fans are clearly confused and frustrated by our transfer policy. Second we saw Aston Villa do it with the sail of Grealish, a very clear explanation of the approach and why, we deserve the same transparency. If we can issue an in depth update of our catering issues we can certainly do the same for our transfer policy.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
To be honest I was happy to accept that we wouldn't be getting a striker in.
I was pretty happy with the squad too.
But then Zeqiri/Tau/Andone were removed from the equation and all of a sudden we look considerably lighter than we were.

I'm as much of a licker as anyone, but I have to say I'm a little concerned in the lack of numbers available to Potter.

I'm not remotely concerned, and I doubt Potter is. Of those you mention:
-- Andone didn't play last season
-- it was pretty obvious in his 2.5 seasons on loan before joining us (in Jan 2021) and his age, that Tau was never going to do it. He didn't.
-- Zeqiri has shown promise and a good attitude, but even he only played about 15 minutes as a PL striker (against ten-man City).
We'll be alright, I reckon. Maupay is a good player, and has started the season well. If we can get 20+ games out of Welbeck, he'll contribute well. Potter rates Connolly a lot more than most on here. And he regards Trossard as a striker, particularly (although not exclusively) when paired with someone else.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I agree with those who are frustrated, Maupay breaks a leg against Brentford then suddenly we are left with an injury prone Welbeck and Connolly who cannot score to get us to the January window.

If we don’t get a new striker I have two main thoughts:

1. It makes us more likely to lose our manager sooner than we would have. Of course he says all the right things publicly but the club, despite I’m sure trying very hard, are simply not giving him the tools to do his job.

2. I would like an explanation from Barber as to the strategy and logic behind our transfer strategy. Before people start yelling ‘why should he’ at me, we are the people who pour our money into the club and although not all are many fans are clearly confused and frustrated by our transfer policy. Second we saw Aston Villa do it with the sail of Grealish, a very clear explanation of the approach and why, we deserve the same transparency. If we can issue an in depth update of our catering issues we can certainly do the same for our transfer policy.
Agree on 2) Barber should explain this. He's not doing his job.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm not remotely concerned, and I doubt Potter is. Of those you mention:
-- Andone didn't play last season
-- it was pretty obvious in his 2.5 seasons on loan before joining us (in Jan 2021) and his age, that Tau was never going to do it. He didn't.
-- Zeqiri has shown promise and a good attitude, but even he only played about 15 minutes as a PL striker (against ten-man City).
We'll be alright, I reckon. Maupay is a good player, and has started the season well. If we can get 20+ games out of Welbeck, he'll contribute well. Potter rates Connolly a lot more than most on here. And he regards Trossard as a striker, particularly (although not exclusively) when paired with someone else.

I agree with all you say, but it still neglects the fact that when we have injuries/suspensions and we need someone to come off the bench, there is literally no one to turn too.
You may not rate the other options, but surely if you need a goal in the last 15 minutes, you might chance your arm with one of them?

It's a risk, playing 16 games ( and league cup game(s)) with so few options.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maybe we should change the word Striker for Attacking payer? That would solve all the issues :)

I wonder what titles Guardiola puts on the likes of Mahrez, Grealish, Torres, Sterling, Gundogan, De Bruyne and Jesus? If you're going by the criteria of a striker of many on here, City have started the season with none.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree with all you say, but it still neglects the fact that when we have injuries/suspensions and we need someone to come off the bench, there is literally no one to turn too.
You may not rate the other options, but surely if you need a goal in the last 15 minutes, you might chance your arm with one of them?

It's a risk, playing 16 games ( and league cup game(s)) with so few options.

Like I suspect you are, I'm not holding too firm to the argument being made (explanation: the contingencies you mention), and appreciate the care and precision you've made with yours. You might turn out to be right. Let's hope not.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Has the window closed then?

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
The best bit of business in this window?

Keeping hold of Biss (assuming that he is still here after 11pm)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The best bit of business in this window?

Keeping hold of Biss (assuming that he is still here after 11pm)

I can't find the quote, but someone suggested the other day, that his contract extension was being held off, until the end of the window, to compensate for the no striker meltdown.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hmmmm I'm not that impressed thus far, especially letting young Andi leave - bizarre if we're loaning out our supposed striker purchase too. If I'm a bit perplexed, then what must GP be thinking?!?

It would be okay if we retain our one in (up top), not great but passable - however the current plan spells disaster. If we lose NM to a ban/injury we're not seriously expecting game after game for DW are we? or expecting AC to lead the line for 90 mins on his own week after week. I therefore conclude we must be hoping big Jurgs can play a useful part after all.

All in all it's not brilliant is it? It's really looking thin up top, a real Bobby Charlton comb over without Bobby underneath it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can't find the quote, but someone suggested the other day, that his contract extension was being held off, until the end of the window, to compensate for the no striker meltdown.

Pleased as I’ll be it won’t cover for the gamble of going into a fifth season way too light on strikers. Top 10? You’re having a laugh

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I assume we have recently bought an even bigger barn door for the current squad to practice with.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I assume we have recently bought an even bigger barn door for the current squad to practice with.

You would think with all that money they're paid and practice they do in the week, that they'd be able to kick it in the net a bit more often :???:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here