Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Transfer Deadline Day

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I see there are a grand total of FOUR Premier League incoming deals so far today (including Ronaldo, which I thought had been sorted last week!). The others are Cucurella, Connor Roberts (to Burnley) and Vlasic (to West Ham). No one else seems to be doing much....

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
To be honest I completely trust the club to make the best decisions. If the midfielders chip in with a few this season, we could have a good season.

Me too.

I just suspect that the decisions made have been more to do with our financial position than our top 10 ambition ( which I'm fine with).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Maybe they just felt Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly and Trossard available for the one (?) striker spot is enough.

I think it was people hoping for back-up in those games where we essentially played a front 3 of:

Welbeck—-Maupay
——-Trossard———

I suppose Mac Allister & Connolly can fill in. There might be a gem or two left in the U23s ( Sarmiento ?)

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Maybe they just felt Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly and Trossard available for the one (?) striker spot is enough.

Maupay 8

Welbeck 6

Connolly 2

Trossard 5

Trossard likely to do the same maybe even a bit better, Welbeck could do but could also be injured most of time and Maupay will get the same again.

We need another striker of Maupay's level to give us a chance to move up the table or even standstill. We only a slight loss of form in other areas to make our goal scoring issues even more of a problem.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Maupay 8

Welbeck 6

Connolly 2

Trossard 5

Trossard likely to do the same maybe even a bit better, Welbeck could do but could also be injured most of time and Maupay will get the same again.

We need another striker of Maupay's level to give us a chance to move up the table or even standstill. We only a slight loss of form in other areas to make our goal scoring issues even more of a problem.

we should have at least 2 strikers capable of 10+

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Maupay 8

Welbeck 6

Connolly 2

Trossard 5

If we can get midfield scoring, they would help ease the pressure off the striker issue.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This is the other thing, There is only 1 striker spot up for grabs. Like i said, if the midfield chip in with a few each, we could have a good season.

This is a bit misleading though isn't it?
Trossard/Maupay were definitely forwards against Everton with Connolly/Welbeck/ Zeqiri on the bench.
If we were only playing one forward, then that bench is complete overkill, surely?

As it stands we have Trossard/Maupay/Connolly/Welbeck for our matchday squad.
An injury and suspension to any 2 players and Potter's options from the bench are very limited.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not sure if you are joking - I find an emoji helps.
Do you mean we should be happy for the 'pretend swede' to be on NSC ?

It wasn't particularly serious - an emoji next time.

Swansman doesn't bother me.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
This is a bit misleading though isn't it?
Trossard/Maupay were definitely forwards against Everton with Connolly/Welbeck/ Zeqiri on the bench.
If we were only playing one forward, then that bench is complete overkill, surely?

As it stands we have Trossard/Maupay/Connolly/Welbeck for our matchday squad. A
n injury and suspension to any 2 players and Potter's options from the bench are very limited.

Maybe we should change the word Striker for Attacking payer? That would solve all the issues :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The club simply want a forward cost 15m which can score you 15-20 goals of a season. That's not how the market work nowadays.

That's not how the market has worked since the Albion v1.2 reboot.

Although it's never stopped them trying - gotta admire the commitment to the cause.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If we can get midfield scoring, they would help ease the pressure off the striker issue.

Yeah I totally agree with this, and I trust Potter to change our attacking play to increase the quality of our goal opportunities.
I strongly suspect that the need for a new striker is actually lower than many people think.
Lamptey and Cucurella may well be the answer, rather than Nunez or Edouard.

Potter will be focusing on what he can improve within our attacking play.
However I still feel he's been let down in the number of players being released in this window.
Although I wouldn't put it past him to coach Richards into this season's revelation.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This is the other thing, There is only 1 striker spot up for grabs. Like i said, if the midfield chip in with a few each, we could have a good season.

Yep. And with Cucurella here now and Lamptey to come back soon, we're suddenly going to have plenty of good options and goal threats from all over the pitch. I really don't understand the desperation for another striker.

I was critical of Maupay's finishing at times last season but he has to start IMO, he is crucial to the way we play overall and I'm confident he will be even better than the last 2 seasons and get double figures again. He's started the season well too and has a good fitness record overall.

With Welbeck to play wide of him when fit or instead of him when necessary and then March, Trossard, Mac Allister, Gross, Lallana, Mwepu, Moder and Richards all able to play behind or wide of them, we still have plenty of options. So much so I don't think our third striker Connolly will get much action, let alone a fourth striker.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Yep. And with Cucurella here now and Lamptey to come back soon, we're suddenly going to have plenty of good options and goal threats from all over the pitch. I really don't understand the desperation for another striker.

I was critical of Maupay's finishing at times last season but he has to start IMO, he is crucial to the way we play overall and I'm confident he will be even better than the last 2 seasons and get double figures again. He's started the season well too.

With Welbeck to play wide of him when fit or instead of him when necessary and then March, Trossard, Mac Allister, Gross, Lallana, Mwepu, Moder and Richards all able to play behind or wide of them, we still have plenty of options. So much so I don't think our third striker Connolly will get much action, let alone a fourth striker.

Welcome to my world. :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here