Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Transfer Deadline Day

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For all you negative Nancy's.

Do you honestly think TB and co. have not tried to sign a striker?

Do you honestly think they have no ambition and do not know what they are doing?

Go and read other fans forum and you will see that most of the fans want that elusive striker and are not happy.

Maybe transfers are more complicated than just offering a sum of money and gettig said player? With the caveat being a Man City, Man Utd and a few other European teams.

Maybe there are more components to a transfer, that most fans don't understand.

I trust the club know what they are doing and have never had and reason to doubt them.

It's all about perspective I suppose.

All of which is completely true and I agree with it. But when you have strikers surely you don't then loan them out?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Those employed at the club to identify and sign players are aware of all the issues, if they are unable to sign a player with more experience or better than Aaron Connolly then they have failed massively. Injury to Maupay or massive loss of form will almost certainly put us around the bottom three as there are not enough goals in the current squad even if the approach play improves with a fit Lamptey and Cucurella adding pace and balance.
Do you think they can't be bothered to sign a striker or they think they dont need a striker?

Or they've tried/trying but we have a budget we need to stick within?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
To be honest I was happy to accept that we wouldn't be getting a striker in.
I was pretty happy with the squad too.
But then Zeqiri/Tau/Andone were removed from the equation and all of a sudden we look considerably lighter than we were.

I'm as much of a licker as anyone, but I have to say I'm a little concerned in the lack of numbers available to Potter.

Just as well I have double glazing, I've almost worn through the first pane and it's not even 4 O'clock :eek:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have to say I'm a little surprised that TB went on the record as saying top 10 was possible this season, when the squad was destined to be weakened from last season.

I still believe we will have a better season (points wise) than last season, but that won't be anything to do with recruitment.

Looking for big increase on goals from the likes of Connolly, MacArgie, Lallana, Moder.

This. Looking to score with good attackers, or forward players, just not actually 'strikers'.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Do you think they can't be bothered to sign a striker or they think they dont need a striker?

If they cant find and sign a striker better than Aaron Connolly then they have massively failed whether they know they have failed or not. They have had a long time to get this sorted and identify targets who are within our means.

We can only hope all the squad clearing is to allow for a new signing otherwise they are playing a very dangerous game this season.

If Brighton as a premier league team in their 5th season of being in the Prem only has Maupay and a injury prone Welbeck as the viable front line then their has been a failing.

edchan102

Aug 21, 2020
The club simply want a forward cost 15m which can score you 15-20 goals of a season. That's not how the market work nowadays.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I don't doubt for a second that they have been busting a gut to get someone in.

However the same people struggling to finalise the deals, are sanctioning loan moves for Zeqiri and the new fella and the sale of Tau/Andone/Jahanbaksh.

I don't think the possibility of a red card for Maupay and a few injuries to Wellbeck is stretching reality too far.
In that case, having one of the above availability to fill in would have been helpful.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I don't doubt for a second that they have been busting a gut to get someone in.

However the same people struggling to finalise the deals, are sanctioning loan moves for Zeqiri and the new fella and the sale of Tau/Andone/Jahanbaksh.

I don't think the possibility of a red card for Maupay and a few injuries to Wellbeck is stretching reality too far.
In that case, having one of the above availability to fill in would have been helpful.
Maybe the club feel feel we have enough and are happy. After all, they know every aspect of all decisions made.

Maybe we could have something lined up but can't happen until Jan?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So the club do not know what they are doing then?

I would like to understand the logic of loaning out Zeqiri and Andone as well as binning off Tau and Jahanbakhsh when there is no incoming forward player in return. I appreciate when the decisions were made that may not have been known and there might have been a deal which fell through but there was no need to loan out Zeqiri and Andone until the club knew there was an incoming signing guaranteed.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Maybe the club feel feel we have enough and are happy. After all, they know every aspect of all decisions made.

Maybe we could have something lined up but can't happen until Jan?

Entirely possible, although we have been thinking that for a number of seasons now.

However outside of whether the club are happy, in the event of Welbeck doing his hamstring and Maupay getting sent off for calling Moss a **** again, are you happy with our options?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I would like to understand the logic of loaning out Zeqiri and Andone as well as binning off Tau and Jahanbakhsh when there is no incoming forward player in return. I appreciate when the decisions were made that may not have been known and there might have been a deal which fell through but there was no need to loan out Zeqiri and Andone until the club knew there was an incoming signing guaranteed.

Again, we have no access to the workings within the club. But I can almost guarantee the club has a plan, and is doing it's best.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Again, we have no access to the workings within the club. But I can almost guarantee the club has a plan, and is doing it's best.

Dare I say the plan doesn't appear to be working if we're going to go into a season with a stated top 10 ambition with a strike force formed of a man made of glass, a man who misses sitters too regularly at this level, a man who seems to have spent most of the summer trying to blag his way onto Love Island and Jurgen Locadia.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Entirely possible, although we have been thinking that for a number of seasons now.

However outside of whether the club are happy, in the event of Welbeck doing his hamstring and Maupay getting sent off for calling Moss a **** again, are you happy with our options?

To be honest I completely trust the club to make the best decisions. If the midfielders chip in with a few this season, we could have a good season.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Maybe they just felt Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly and Trossard available for the one (?) striker spot is enough.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Dare I say the plan doesn't appear to be working if we're going to go into a season with a stated top 10 ambition with a strike force formed of a man made of glass, a man who misses sitters too regularly at this level, a man who seems to have spent most of the summer trying to blag his way onto Love Island and Jurgen Locadia.

I assumed this was a reference to Connolly, but I see you are referencing him later (I assume).
I don't think it's fair to label Maupay as someone who misses sitters regularly.

He's a Premier League striker with 20 goals to his name.
His goals to shot ratio is well within acceptable levels and he's still young.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here