[Football] Transfer Deadline Day

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
The sad thing is he isn't, but that people are really starting to put the knife into one of our own (and yes, I do think Connolly should have been one of the ones we are sending out on loan, should have been loaned out a year ago, or two years ago. He's still one of our own academy graduates though).

Jurgen - 6 in 34 appearances in all competitions (3 in prem)

Connolly - 6 in 47 appearances in all competitions (5 in prem)

How depressing even more so when you look at who's in front of them (glass made Welbeck excluded)

Maupay - 20 in 73 appearances

It really is amazing that this is what we have after 5 seasons in the prem!

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I think a lot of this year's transfer policy is shedding the masses of deadwood and pointless expenses. Apart from White, everyone we disposed of will not be missed and the loanies will all improve with game time and hopefully subsidising of their salaries. With Covid and a decade of buying and not selling, the club must have been p*ssing money like a tsunami. With Potter, a top manager/coach we will continue to improve. A new £40 million 20 goal a season striker would be nice, but do they really exist. Look how many Premier players actually scored 10 or more. Just enjoy the fact we signed a left wing back, Spanish international in his prime and Bissouma's going nowhere.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think a lot of this year's transfer policy is shedding the masses of deadwood and pointless expenses. Apart from White, everyone we disposed of will not be missed and the loanies will all improve with game time and hopefully subsidising of their salaries. With Covid and a decade of buying and not selling, the club must have been p*ssing money like a tsunami. With Potter, a top manager/coach we will continue to improve. A new £40 million 20 goal a season striker would be nice, but do they really exist. Look how many Premier players actually scored 10 or more. Just enjoy the fact we signed a left wing back, Spanish international in his prime and Bissouma's going nowhere.

Yep.

But I still think the squad is incredibly light.

I suspect our U21s will be getting a lot more minutes than in previous seasons.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
There’s no doubt about how well run our club is but pretty much every team in the league now has rich foreign owners so we just can’t compete in the transfer market. We just have to hope that having an excellent manager means our cheaper signings develop into Premier League quality players who can keep us in the league. It’s just about worked so far but I can’t see anyway we’ll ever finish higher than the bottom 5.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Yeah I totally agree with this, and I trust Potter to change our attacking play to increase the quality of our goal opportunities.
I strongly suspect that the need for a new striker is actually lower than many people think.
Lamptey and Cucurella may well be the answer, rather than Nunez or Edouard.

Potter will be focusing on what he can improve within our attacking play.
However I still feel he's been let down in the number of players being released in this window.
Although I wouldn't put it past him to coach Richards into this season's revelation.

Absolutely agree with your remark concerning Taylor Richards, I think him being there in our first team squad will not only inspire him but also encourage much improvement in our young Irish striker. I may have Blue and White lenses in my glasses but can see both having great seasons. Hopefully come the winter window our usual suspects will be content with what we have and any desires for further striking options will be sated by our existing squad, after all we are only one win from being ‘Top of the league’

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Number 2 makes you sound entitled.

Why should any owner/CEO come out and explain their thinking behind a transfer window?

Transfer and catering are completely different aspects of the club.

Catering is providing a service for the fans on a match day whilst they moan they don't have a striker.

I don’t care if it makes me sounds entitled. As I fan I do feel entitled to some transparency from the club about certain issues. The question I would ask is why wouldn’t they communicate directly with the fans.

All the best businesses are open and transparent in their communications.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Surely, out of decency, the club would let us know if that's it for the evening. I've been a customer for over forty years

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think what we can do is affected by the Profitability and Sustainability rules, it looks to me like we have been trying hard to free up enough wages to cover the players we wanted incoming, and have maybe fallen short.
The Dullard may be able to help out here as to what headroom we may actually have, I believe though that the Premier League makes a calculation based on the last 2 years actual profit and loss and the predicted profit or loss for the coming season, and if you step over the line of losses above £105M, the PL can impose a budget on the club and a transfer and new contract embargo.
Things like Youth development are excluded from the figures, but I don't know if "youth development" could include signing a 20 year old player and sending him out on loan.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep.

But I still think the squad is incredibly light.

I suspect our U21s will be getting a lot more minutes than in previous seasons.

Agree with last sentence, although you surely mean u23s (Richards has already played, who else do you expect to see?). I'm not entirely convinced about the predecessor. I think our squad was incredibly bloated last season, and had too many players that just weren't up to it. We have adaptable players and formations, so we're pretty well covered. Lose Welbeck and Maupay simultaneously and for a long period, then things might start to get a bit dicey.
I think Bloom/Barber/Ashworth might need to clarify their thoughts on Top Ten Ambition. If Potter achieves that this season, he's even better than I thought he was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports