Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Transfer Deadline Day

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It is a valid concern, and I think he'll view it as a challenge. Not half as much as a challenge as taking Arsenal on halfway through a season. I think Potter values loyalty, and would view an Arsenal offer at this stage with scepticism. Early on after the season ends, it might be a different story.

He wasn't that loyal when he binned off Swansea to join us. He said he wants to manage at the highest possible level and constantly has said how ambitious he is. Swedish Farmers League - Championship - Lower Premier League - Upper Premier League. Arsenal are a much bigger club than us. Obviously he'd prefer a top 4 side, but if Arsenal came knocking he'd be off, no question.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When he's a got an accompanying quote from GP about how pleased he is with this transfer window's business, and how he's "happy with the players we already have" :yawn:

With an overnight cavalry call from Barber to Bloom to douse the discontent, leading to a public relations ploy open letter from Bloom to the fanbase tomorrow.

“In a difficult market with almost every club looking for that elusive striker and all clubs finances hit by Covid …… “.

Thanks heavens for copy and paste.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He wasn't that loyal when he binned off Swansea to join us. He said he wants to manage at the highest possible level and constantly has said how ambitious he is. Swedish Farmers League - Championship - Lower Premier League - Upper Premier League. Arsenal are a much bigger club than us. Obviously he'd prefer a top 4 side, but if Arsenal came knocking he'd be off, no question.

He's been a manager for a decade now. In that time, he's made two moves. That's loyalty in our current context.

PS looking forward to you finding his most recent speech/interview where he mentions his ambition to move to a bigger club. Without this, I'll ignore your post.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Just catching up...Naylor says Nunez won't be done, Edouard nearly off to Palace...so I'm guessing no striker in this window and perhaps Nunez in January? Or have I missed something?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Or possibly Nketiah?

Having been after him for weeks, it would be quite funny if we went and got him on the cheap with Palace having given up and got their 2nd choice.

However, I think we’re fully loaded on young unproven strikers with Connolly, Zeqiri and now Sima.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Just catching up...Naylor says Nunez won't be done, Edouard nearly off to Palace...so I'm guessing no striker in this window and perhaps Nunez in January? Or have I missed something?

To be honest, if he's not here tonight I don't want to hear that clucking name again. Can you imagine another 30 days of is he or isn't he for a third transfer window.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I don't understand what has changed...it would be a very fairweather view, and a welcome reality, if Maupay, Wellbeck...and somehow Connolly can convert more goals this season....but it feels like we've been staring at the striker elephant since the transfer window before Muzza came back off the bench to keep our heads above water.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
So many toys out of the pram, great reading this and the other threads. Some people really need to chill

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
To be honest, if he's not here tonight I don't want to hear that clucking name again. Can you imagine another 30 days of is he or isn't he for a third transfer window.

Regrettably I can...with the club update at the end of that window being January is a notoriously difficult time to do business.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are we the bloke dashing down the local Esso just before closing on Christmas Eve desperate for a pressie for the missus, or have we thought "**** it - I can't be arsed any more" and have flaked out on the sofa with a crate of Stella?

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
For me, (Clive), it all points to somebody else coming in - for the 1st team squad.

1. Zeqiri going on loan - surely wouldn't happen without a forward coming in for the 1st team squad?
  2. Sima - if there's nobody in the pipeline for the 1st team, would we be spending £7m to get him in and send him out again (budget from a different pot I suppose - more of an investment, but still if money's tight for a 1st team forward, I could see the justification for borrowing from the 'investment' pot when in dire need*)
  3. Connolly - I reckon he was given assurances that he'll get more game time this season (hence the meltdown when he heard he wasn't starting vs Burnley). Even with him firmly in Potter's plans, would he rely on an as-yet unproven youngster, with no lack of talent, but a few temperament problems to iron out?
  4. Welbeck - no question for me re his quality, but can't be relied upon for 38 games due to persistent injury problems
  5. Maupay's injury. OK, so he's back already, but surely that was enough of a scare to underline the need for more than 3 viable options, when Welbeck is often injured, Connolly is unproven and Maupay was hardly prolific last season.
* this point boils down to the club's assessment of 'dire need'. It would be a false economy to pass up the opportunity to sign someone now for £7m, who might save us spending £30m+ next year (a big 'might' though). If Potter, Ashworth etc really think we have enough with Maupay, Welbeck and Connolly, (plus a greater contribution of goals from midfield?), then they wouldn't want to interrupt the 'investment' plans.

Despite the club comments regarding moving away from bringing in loan players, I actually think this year's situation might warrant a rethink. A decent, experienced player on loan for a year really could fill a worrying gap, whilst Sima and Zeqiri develop on their loans and Connolly has a chance to mature into the player he could be whilst still with us.

There are 38 weeks until the end of the season, so if the only cost is wages, we could get Cavani (apparently on £250k pw) for a cool £9.5m - he's going to be an expensive spare part at Man U with that preening pr|ck Ronaldo back.

I mention Cavani in jest, but there have GOT to be proven strikers out there whose clubs would be keen to get off of their wage bill for a year.

PSG aside, pretty much every club on the continent is skint and many with bloated squads so there must be a deal to be done.

OR, the whole loan theory is MOOT, because there's a permanent deal for a 1st team forward still in the offing!

Plenty of time left - keep the faith! :albion2:

Well when I read the Sima loan out I thought that can Shirley only mean we are landing a first team striker. Shirley?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
So many toys out of the pram, great reading this and the other threads. Some people really need to chill

I can't speak for others, but personally I'm extremely frustrated that we have a massive shortage of strikers then we do the Sima deal. When we have an injury or two and no fit strikers, let alone actual goalscorers, you will probably feel the same. Perhaps some of us are processing the dire nature of the situation with our frontline a little ahead of you?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Are we the bloke dashing down the local Esso just before closing on Christmas Eve desperate for a pressie for the missus, or have we thought "**** it - I can't be arsed any more" and have flaked out on the sofa with a crate of Stella?

Maybe Bloom is doing the Christmas trick...where you pretend that's all the presents from under the tree...oh...except this very big box over here everbody? Could it be...a proven goal scorer?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I can't speak for others, but personally I'm extremely frustrated that we have a massive shortage of strikers then we do the Sima deal. When we have an injury or two and no fit strikers, let alone actual goalscorers, you will probably feel the same. Perhaps some of us are processing the dire nature of the situation with our frontline a little ahead of you?

Dire nature, really?
Would it be nice to have brand new forward to chip in with 15 a season, yes. Will I be cursing the club or Dan Ashworth// Paul Barber/ Tony Bloom and questioning their abilities if one doesn’t sign - no.
We are stronger than this time last season, the future is positive new forward or not

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here