Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Jesus, listening to PMQs is soooo infuriating. Johnson is just bloviating and diverting; completely out of his depth.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Jesus, listening to PMQs is soooo infuriating. Johnson is just bloviating and diverting; completely out of his depth.

I wish it did, but it doesn't matter. Politics is not like football: If you're on team Boris, you're on his side

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Boris saying they are playing politics?? What are they there for then?

I don't see calling out corruption or law breaking, or even gross hypocrisy as 'playing politics', maybe I'm a little naïve?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
And he just gets away with it, it doesn't matter what he's asked, he can just reply "they're playing politics, we're getting on with it".

He's a disgrace of a politician and an embarrassment of a prime minister.

And there's seemingly nothing we can do to hold him to account.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Standard political response to a crisis - set up an investigation with an unspecified time scale for reporting back - issue catapulted neatly into the long grass. Oh, and then accuse the accusers of playing politics!!

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I don't see calling out corruption or law breaking, or even gross hypocrisy as 'playing politics', maybe I'm a little naïve?

I cant see how he is allowed to get away with all his lies and hypocrisy. I honestly don't get how he gets away with it, can some one explain it to me?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
And he just gets away with it, it doesn't matter what he's asked, he can just reply "they're playing politics, we're getting on with it".

No Guy Fawkes to the rescue for another year either. :rolleyes:

How long before anarchy followed by military on the streets?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Does one else just yawn and actually can pre-empt almost word for word what he is going to say before he even stands up.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I cant see how he is allowed to get away with all his lies and hypocrisy. I honestly don't get how he gets away with it, can some one explain it to me?

He fooled 1 in 4 people in this country to vote for him. The country is a mess, the prime minister is a joke and the country is now an international embarrassment.

Unfortunately the press and a nation that's ambiguous to politics has left us in this state.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
When you think there are no further depths to which this government can plunge - we never reach the lowest point.

So restrictions are to be announced to divert attention. It may be these restrictions are required. But the government needs to take the country along with the new measures. Now - half the country will be thinking "why bother ?".

There needs to be some way for sensible law-abiding people to respond to the upcoming guidance....maybe a mask with the words "F*ck Off Boris". I'm still embarrassed about my swearing when I sat in the East Stand, so not sure how I will react to the new rules....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

he's there to be held to account, but the questions were tabloid level on one issue which he "answered" before they got going. not one question on point of policy or terms of the investigation or anything more substantial. just heard a backbencher raise a point of order if there would be a report on all parties held across government - thats the sort of question that should have be ask to PM, so he has to give the answer without waffle. its all too easy in PMQ for him to bluff off soundbites.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1468552947877519367[/tweet]

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Generally speaking these type of political leaders are going nowhere unless a lot of people go out on the streets and protest. Will you?

That's a good question. I'd say that's not true here though. I've protested for things in the past - joining millions (Iraq War, Brexit) - and it's had no impact and I think in this country there's maybe not been a successful protest since the Poll Tax Riots in the 80s. How successful a protest is will be decided by whether the media will give it a fair airing and how sustained media interest is but more than anything it needs to galvanise public opinion and gain momentum outside it's own bubble otherwise it's not doing anything. It might be uniquely British but protest will often entrench pre-existing positions rather than make people question things so it could even be counterproductive. After the Brexit march I went to a pub still wearing a pro-EU sticker and the first person I saw asked me why I hated democracy. I'd imagine the protest had almost zero effect here except emphasise division and polarised communities and at best just showed the EU that they had a lot of people who didn't want to leave. There are protests here all the time though - Extinction Rebellion, Insulate Britain are almost certainly out today doing something - and you hear almost nothing about them. In London in the summer there was one anti-mask march that had 10's of thousands of people on it but was in and out of the news in a day - regardless of the fact I totally disagree with them, their protest had no chance of having any impact at all because their message wasn't heard by anyone. It's the same for all causes.

I live in a Tory constituency but the only Tories I know despise Boris and everything he stands for. Perhaps the only way to bring about change is to encourage them to vote for someone other than our local Tory MP who they happen to like - that won't happen through protest, that'll just reinforce prejudices against the left and it'll encourage them to hold their noses and vote for her even knowing it means Boris. It needs to become embarrassing in all circles to support this government, not just in our echo chambers, but how you bring that about when despite everything this is where we are, I don't know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here