Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
a fair cop. how well did that Lab/Lib pact work out?

It lasted pretty well considering the stresses the government was under. The quadrupling of the price of oil and Barber's expansionary budget had played merry hell with the inflation rate. The IMF had to intervene to bail the government out, Labour (who didn't have a majority anyway) were losing seats in by-elections, Dick Taverne had left Labour for a new party (the first stirrings of the SDP) and there were devolutionary pressures in Scotland.

As Yeats said, "things fall apart; the centre cannot hold" but for about 18 months it did.

Callaghan made the mistake of not going to the country in the autumn of 1978, the decision that finished the pact. He may well have won an election - after the Winter of Discontent, he had no chance.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
That's unfair. As someone pointed out earlier, there are many people - in all parties - who are good, decent servants of the public. The problem for the Tories is that Johnson chucked many of these out and selected those in his own image. Fortunately, there are still some decent Conservatives left and those are the ones who should be thinking deeply about the future of the country,

It's a bit like saying there good decent Millwall supporters, we all know there are but all we see is the ones that aren't

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
It’s impossible to disagree with the widespread criticism of BJ and his awful track record on honesty and integrity.

However, what blew me away the most is how anyone in a position of power (Allegra Stratton) could take part in a mock-up which effectively used global restrictions to save thousands of agonising deaths, as its punchline.

SURELY TO GOD someone among this group of Tory aides must have been thinking, ‘actually, this is just a bit too sick for me?’

SURELY?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It’s impossible to disagree with the widespread criticism of BJ and his awful track record on honesty and integrity.

However, what blew me away the most is how anyone in a position of power (Allegra Stratton) could take part in a mock-up which effectively used global restrictions to save thousands of agonising deaths, as its punchline.

SURELY TO GOD someone among this group of Tory aides must have been thinking, ‘actually, this is just a bit too sick for me?’

SURELY?

Perhaps that was the thinking of whoever filmed it, to use it at some future point?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The current report / findings about Omicron hasn't even been delivered (or is due to be) to Boris yet.... but Plan B it is ?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Remind me again because I’ve lost track of this circus. Plan B = work from home and face masks in public? It is not full lockdown?

Not been announced yet but that seems to be what is going to happen.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The current report / findings about Omicron hasn't even been delivered (or is due to be) to Boris yet.... but Plan B it is ?

Distraction move designed to take attention away from the Number 10 Christmas party last year.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Assumed this was a joke, but it is a genuine story from the FT

When you think there are no further depths to which this government can plunge - we never reach the lowest point.

So restrictions are to be announced to divert attention. It may be these restrictions are required. But the government needs to take the country along with the new measures. Now - half the country will be thinking "why bother ?".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here