Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom to take over? [Merged threads]

Aha - here we go. Worth reading so you can take all of BGs posts in context.

In an attempt to kill this off once and for all for the benefit of
Dave the Gaffer, Large One or anybody else who thinks that I ama personal friend of the above 'crooks'.

The company that I ran had a contract to carry out some work for Greg Stanley at The Blue Peter Club and because of this I was drawn into his circle of friends including Club Christmas parties etc when Alan Mullery was the manager(2nd time).

At all times GS was fully aware of my love for BHA and suggested to Brian Bedson that I should be given a seat on the board as a supporter. BB turned this down saying if he has the money put it up and we will consider it we do not want people on the board with no money.

I continued to work for him during the time leading up to him becoming Chairman.

GS then got nicked for throwinga brick through a window in Doncaster and the papers made a great deal of 'Football Club Chairman arrested as a hooligan' which he was although one with too much money. As a result of this arrest we fell out because I considered him to be a bad advert for BHA and my compny lost his contract. I have never ever met Archer face to face.

Like many other supporters I did what I thought was my best during the reign of A B & S to overthrow them and inso doing arranged with a business colleague for a consortium of 3 men with a combined total of £80m to buy th club and rebuild it in situ.

During these times I had occassion to speak with a number of Football Club Chairmen on this matter and the overall consensus from them was to stick with A B & S as they had money which DK didnt, well not sufficient to purchase a football league club.

The rest about DK is history now but yes I am bitter towards him although I do appreciate what he has done because I feel that his appointment was a lost opportunity for us and that had we stuck with the other three or brought in my consortium we would PROBABLY have a new ground by now.

For the record I have not seen GS or been in contact with him since about 1996. As I have said I HAVE NEVER MET ARCHER face to face to talk to.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Apologies as I have asked this question a number of times but have never received a reply.

Does anyone "know" how Tony Bloom earns a living and approximately how much he is worth.

Before anyone says poker, he most definately does not make a substantial living from poker and i would be very surprised if he even breaks even. He did own an online betting company a few years ago but this was loss making and was sold for a relatively small sum.

Other rumours have him as a hedge fund dabler and property dabler - both of which would have done well to make any money in the last few years.

I have no doubt that he does put money into the albion - it just seems strange that even on the all seeing interweb i have not been able to see how he earns a living.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Not sure what to make of this (if at all true).

Having money injected into the club would be good, but it will be a shame to see Knight go. I, for one, will never forget the hard work Knight did to ensure that there continued to be a football club in Brighton.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lets get this in the right perspective I did and do still believe that had we gone to Portsmouth on a short term basis as Archer & Stanley wanted they would have provided the money and built us a new ground, which we would now be playing in at a reasonable level in The Championship.

BUT

The fans rebelled against this saying that they would not play at Pompey which in turn gave the police ammunition to suggest that they would object to such a ground share.

Archers and Stanleys attitude then changed to a f..k you one I will win, hence the rip off. I do not believe that this was their original intention but being businessmen they were not prepared to lose money, face and reputation yes, but not money.

All of the time this was going on Ray Bloom was a trusted side kick of Archer and Stanley and although he denies he knew anything about the deals etc I dont believe him hence my concern about him gaining more power.

As you wish to bring this up as I have said many times I or my company did a lot of work with and for Stanley hence my association but like almost all of the fans fully realise what they did and would totally disassociate myself with him.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Apologies as I have asked this question a number of times but have never received a reply.

Does anyone "know" how Tony Bloom earns a living and approximately how much he is worth.

Before anyone says poker, he most definately does not make a substantial living from poker and i would be very surprised if he even breaks even. He did own an online betting company a few years ago but this was loss making and was sold for a relatively small sum.

Other rumours have him as a hedge fund dabler and property dabler - both of which would have done well to make any money in the last few years.

I have no doubt that he does put money into the albion - it just seems strange that even on the all seeing interweb i have not been able to see how he earns a living.

He makes profit from poker mainly thats how he makes his living, sorry if you dont believe it but its true:clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What I do find rather ironical is that since Harty has left NSC The Great Cornoholic has returned as Ian is not here to put him in his place, as he did on many occassions!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
He makes profit from poker mainly thats how he makes his living, sorry if you dont believe it but its true:clap:

Hardly sustainable, is it? Also, not sure that I want someone with that approach (ie, gambler) taking control of the club. If you look at the pig's ear some, ostensibly capapble businessmen have made from running football clubs (eg Mr Ashley at Newcastle), I fail to see how anyone who has no apparent experience of running a complex organisation (which a football club is) could be expected to make a success of it.

Let's just raise the stakes another £50,000,000 as I have a couple of aces in my hand (oh, dear, they have both just broken their legs).

What I do find rather ironical is that since Harty has left NSC The Great Cornoholic has returned as Ian is not here to put him in his place, as he did on many occassions!

Of all of the posts you have ever written, that is far and away the funniest. I have posted very infrequently for the last couple of years and will continue to do so as this board has turned into Myspace with trolls for me and I only feel like getting involved in proper debates every so often.

If by Ian putting me in my place you mean rather than responding to a perfectly reasonable post on here many years ago, he decided to start the phone in by insinuating that I, along with a couple of other posters, had a hidden agenda and probably didn't adhere to the boycott of Mansfield, then that is a very interesting take on being put in my place. Subsequent to that, he got rather abusive with no substance to a couple of posts when drunk and that has been followed by a few years of the occasional PM for me to sort him out with DVDs for some people he helps out. Sadly, one of these come at a time when I didn't log in for months so was missed but I think the last friendly exchange was a month or so ago. Sorry to disappoint you and all that.

Edit - just to clarify before it all kicks off again that my perception of the board is mine alone. I am not complaining - majority rule and all that means that the board will go the way the majority want. I still read here most days but nowhere near as often as I used to and very infrequently feel the need to post. I post very little on any of the boards I frequent these days

Last edited:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
He makes profit from poker mainly thats how he makes his living, sorry if you dont believe it but its true:clap:[/QUOTE

I can not prove this but this is almost certainly not true. His tournament winnings are all published. Apart from the fact that he doesn't play many tournaments these days - if you total his tournament winnings they are approx 1.5 million at best - and from this you need to deduct all his tournament fees and living expenses. In theory he could be earning a living playing cash games. This is unlikely though as even the best poker players rely mainly on non poker playing earnings (books, tv, poker sites, sponsorship etc) and Bloom doesn't do any of this as far as I can see.

Have you any evidence he is making a living from poker.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

Strange sort of memory you have DG, you only seem to recall things that suit you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

No, thats not how he makes his living (although he did once win something like $280,000 in a tournament).
His main source of income is his online gambling website Premierbet.com, which focuses primarily on football asian handicap betting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here