Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom to take over? [Merged threads]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not that I believe they had ANY intention of taking the club forward. Where?

It is a well publicised fact that they were a signature away from buying Beeding Cement works despite what many on here say would not have happened. It was a done deal with the council etc and there are reports of the incident when Archer refused to sign the document, as his attitude had changed, and Barry Lloyd is reputed to have nearly hit him. Greg Stanleys favoured site was a ground share with Portsmouth on the A27 between Arundel and Chichester, just outside of Arundel. I am not prepared to argue whether Beeding was feasible or not as they had commissioned experts and had agreed it was.

This is all water under the bridge now as we have moved on and DK has surpassed anything I expected of him for which all Brighton fans should be grateful but we still have to continue to move forward and I do not believe giving Ray Bloom more power will help that. I know nothing about Tony Bloom so will not pass comment on him other than to say if he won that much money gambling could he lose that much doing the same!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He makes profit from poker mainly thats how he makes his living, sorry if you dont believe it but its true:clap:

not quite. iirc he was a professional gambler then setup a betting website firm, then sold that off. now i beleive he has sunk the money from that into property. from gambler to safe-as-houses. :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
No, thats not how he makes his living (although he did once win something like $280,000 in a tournament).
His main source of income is his online gambling website Premierbet.com, which focuses primarily on football asian handicap betting.

He sold that a while ago.

Fascinating really, Tony Bloom.

Apparently wealthy and pulling the strings with our club, and yet the only things we know are that he plays poker, has a house in australia and used to own premierbet.com.

Tony Bloom is considered one of the leading sports bettors in the world and plays poker almost as a rich mans hobby. Inside Poker mag last month pretty much confirmed this in a short paragraph. He does still play poker and won a fair few quid early this year in an Aussie Millions side event but he isn't a prolific player and couldn't fund the club off of his winnings even if he were prolific. I am also pretty sure that he sold Premierbet before its fortunes went downhill and he now focusses on property and sports betting. He also doesn't give many interviews which makes the thought of him being chairman an interesting one.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Did this Premierbet have any connection with the online betting company that Kevin Griffiths had in Burgess Hill, which DK has a hand/share in before it went under? I noticed that Kevin Griffiths is still a shareholder, did he not go bankrupt when his company went under.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes ... but does he have any idea how to run a football club?

Would imagine Bloom would be content to remain hands-off so far as the day-to-day running of the club is concerned. See absolutely no reason why Dick Knight couldn't be retained as Life President or similar title and remain public figurehead for the club - if he wants to, with Perry, Brown and the directors doing much as they are doing at present. Its worked well enough up til now.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
There is no doubt that Tony Bloom has had a significant role in the financial structure of the Albion for over 12 months now. There has bewen talk that his involvement in the Albion could be as much as £24 Million, with funding support for the Stadium and significant funds being made available for transfers during the summer. I believe it is significant that the number of released players was so high, and it would not surprise me to see more follow, even those under contract. It would seem that Tony Bloom wants all new transfer targets signed up asap, without the need to bolster with loan signings once we getter closer to the new season.

Will Dick stand down... i'm not sure, i had been told that Tony Bloom did not wish to be chairman at this stage, but i do know that some of the board have been very frustrated with some of Dick's decision making (or lack of).

I would be happy for Dick to continue as Chairman, and be offered the "Presidency" once Falmer is finished.

We should feel highly lucky that we have a supporter who is prepared to invest BIG in the club, and should welcome this investment, not pour scorn.

We have the potential and spending power to be a potential big player next season, lets hope that the Boss Russell can get the right quality of player to play for the Albion and move us forward.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I don't really know anything about eh Blooms other than they are wealthy and any money the club does have, it mostly comes from them. Is that right?

If he does want to take over, I for one would like to know more about him, what his plans are, where he get his money, with diving into his personal life, and if and when he decideds that he has had enough of the albion, will he want all the money he has pumped into the club back.

I feel there is no doubt that we do need heavy investment and im excited about someone will money wanting to invest, but i would still like him, if this is true, to invest in the youth aswell. I would also like to hear if big Dick likes the idea and is happy with it.

Only time will tell i guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here