Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom to take over? [Merged threads]

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
I don't think Dick has a choice, Bloom has been the major funder of the club for over 12 months now, and would have sacked Adams earlier if Dick had not been so loyal. I have no problem with Dick as i said earlier, he deserves legendary status, but the times are changing and we will spend big this summer i am sure., I am excited that we will be able to compete financially at League 1 one level, and hope that Russell getrs the players he has identified.

I don't think Dick has a choice, Bloom has been the major funder of the club for over 12 months now, and would have sacked Adams earlier if Dick had not been so loyal. I have no problem with Dick as i said earlier, he deserves legendary status, but the times are changing and we will spend big this summer i am sure., I am excited that we will be able to compete financially at League 1 one level, and hope that Russell getrs the players he has identified.
I claim no inside knowledge but all I will say is that I was lucky enough to go to the Falmer ceremony and afterwards Tony Bloom and Adams were very jokey and pally. This was just before Christmas.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Control of a football club isn't about shareholdings and votes at board meetings. It's about how the people with the power go about the job.

Undoubtedly it's his money that gives Tony Bloom the power. So far, he's remained silent. Until he says something, we don't know what he's planning. And we have no idea at all about how good he might be at heading up a complex business like a football club.
Not completely silent. The Argus, news, sport, events, jobs, homes for Brighton, Hove and Sussex - Bloom reveals his Albion stake

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Rumour ( Good source ) a few weeks ago was Dick out and Stevens in as manager. Now that RS has become a legend in just over a few weeks the 2nd part of the plan has obviously been rethought but wouldn't be surprised to see GS turn up somewhere

Two words, Shit Spouting.:bla:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rumour ( Good source ) a few weeks ago was Dick out and Stevens in as manager. Now that RS has become a legend in just over a few weeks the 2nd part of the plan has obviously been rethought but wouldn't be surprised to see GS turn up somewhere

Assistant manager as BB and DW are being kept on 'with new defined roles'

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have no problem with Dick as i said earlier, he deserves legendary status, but the times are changing and we will spend big this summer i am sure.

Spending big may noty guarantee an promotion given the calibre of teams in the division.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
On the basis, that most rumours are lies and when people say from a "good source" its a bit suspicious to be honest...;)

Take your point but firstly I never posted this when I heard it, as any info from inside sources can be as speculative as anything else, and have only put my oar in now after others have highlighted it.

I took the opinion that the info I had acquired may be relevant to the topic now so was worth sharing. I don't know whether is is true or not but it is something I have heard from somebody that works at the club so figured it was relevant

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
He sold that a while ago.

Fascinating really, Tony Bloom.

Apparently wealthy and pulling the strings with our club, and yet the only things we know are that he plays poker, has a house in australia and used to own premierbet.com.

I agree.

Obviously he has no official capacity at the club at the moment but if and when he does - it would be good if he could provide some background on himself.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
not quite. iirc he was a professional gambler then setup a betting website firm, then sold that off. now i beleive he has sunk the money from that into property. from gambler to safe-as-houses. :thumbsup:

This is the best guess I have seen and it is what I consider to be the most likely. I have absolutely no evidence for this though - not that Tony Bloom would need any from me.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Did this Premierbet have any connection with the online betting company that Kevin Griffiths had in Burgess Hill, which DK has a hand/share in before it went under? I noticed that Kevin Griffiths is still a shareholder, did he not go bankrupt when his company went under.

Nope, that was Sporting Options, a misguided attempt to challenge Betfair's dominance in the betting exchange market. They started seeding the markets with their own money and had their trousers taken down by the shrewdies (people like Tony Bloom, in fact).

Calling Tony Bloom a gambler is a little misleading, he's as far removed from the washed-up, Woodbine-puffing punter of popular image as it is possible to be. He is certainly one of the biggest players in the world, but his speciality is massive turnover when he is 1 per cent on the right side of the market. If you are a very good judge - and he is - and you have plenty of other very good judges working for you - which he does - it is a much safer bet than the stock market when it comes to turning a lot of money into even more money.

He has recently got into ownership on the Flat in a big way with his long-time mate Harry Findlay, but that won't put even a scratch on his resources. From what I hear, the Albion means a great deal to him, and he will put in whatever it needs to take the team to the highest level they can realistically attain, but it is very much a long-term plan and not a short-term punt.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Can anyone dig out that LI post where he went into meltdown because he thought Bloom was trying to oust his hero McGhee, and compared the events to what Archer and Bellotti did?

:laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here