Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today is my first day of signing on........

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Just a slight diversion, whilst talking about Jobcentres.....anyone who has had to sign on in Brighton in the last 40 years may have come across Barry, who worked there.

I was seen by him at periods during the 70's & 80's, a stocky bloke with dark hair and a beard

Working pretty near the JC, I still saw barry over the years as he got older and rather briader. he liked his food and liked his ale too, but sadly this affected his mobility and he had to walk with sticks and hip opperations, at his size, didn't help much.

Sadly, Barry died last Saturday, he hadn't reached 60, hadn't reached his pension. he always treated people (even claiments!) with respect and always put himself out to help, a true unsung hero working in what must be a horrible job.

Some of us raised a glass to barry tonight, at the Evening Star, one of the many Real Ale pubs we frequented. I believe he was a CAMRA member too.

RIP Big Barry.

:drink:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Just got a job today :drink: - half my previous salary but I am bloody chuffed cos I'd rather work than vegetate. Not working for the last 3 months has been an interesting experience (fortunately I was paid) did a counselling course and made a bit of cash doing Sunday markets, ebaying and selling books on Amazon. I have spent more time with my family and been able to watch X Factor!. I found the Monday to Friday daytime the hardest as there was a serious boredom factor. I feel lucky to have got a job and can't wait to get stuck in. Good luck to everyone out there looking for work. I got the job through Gumtree(Brighton) and would recommend to anyone.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just a slight diversion, whilst talking about Jobcentres.....anyone who has had to sign on in Brighton in the last 40 years may have come across Barry, who worked there.

I was seen by him at periods during the 70's & 80's, a stocky bloke with dark hair and a beard

Working pretty near the JC, I still saw barry over the years as he got older and rather briader. he liked his food and liked his ale too, but sadly this affected his mobility and he had to walk with sticks and hip opperations, at his size, didn't help much.

Sadly, Barry died last Saturday, he hadn't reached 60, hadn't reached his pension. he always treated people (even claiments!) with respect and always put himself out to help, a true unsung hero working in what must be a horrible job.

Some of us raised a glass to barry tonight, at the Evening Star, one of the many Real Ale pubs we frequented. I believe he was a CAMRA member too.

RIP Big Barry.

:drink:

I worked at the Job Centre for a few months in the 80's (recall an amazing Christmas party upstairs when the office was at the bottom of St James's Street - very pretty lady manager at the time). I also remember Barry. What a shame to hear he has died. Nice man - very compassionate. Will be missed.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
HB&B, next time you take a jolly jaunt to London, you would do well to have a look at the Homeless exhibition at the Museum of London. Diaries of homeless people desperate to find work and kick start their life...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
HB&B, next time you take a jolly jaunt to London, you would do well to have a look at the Homeless exhibition at the Museum of London. Diaries of homeless people desperate to find work and kick start their life...
Jesus christ Paul,Doesn't take alot to convince you does it? Alot of them are only interested in finding there next fix.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Reading this thread has made me feel sick. I work in Jobcentreplus, and some of the people coming through the doors are in such dire situations. If only they knew that someone like HB&B was claiming with no intention of looking for work and with the deluded belief that he can walk back into a job in a suffering sector...

I'll be interested to see how this develops in six months time. Will HB&B have his well paid job in 'reinsurance' or will he be knocking at the door of new deal? More than likely, he will be somehow 'disabled' or deeming himself unable to work.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
GREED
How dare you Cloths Peg , I have already stated the only reason I am claiming is to receive my NI contribution. Contribution based JSA is primarily there so it is not unfair on those who for years have paid into the system can claim irrespective of financial status it is limited for 6 months and NO other benefit is payable also I have attained the relevant criteria re looking for work as per my job search diary. I will never be able to state Iam disabled and unable to work as I have been far to prudent and NOT BLOODY GREEDY with my finances to claim a means tested benefit!!

If you can satisfy your own conscience with flicking through a few papers as 'actively seeking work' then obviously we have different moral viewpoints. The whole point of Jobseekers Allowance is in the name - to provide you with subsitence money whilst you actively look for work, not just to keep up your NI whilst you sit around posting on internet forums.

And incidentally, with reference to your last sentence, most disability benefits are not means tested. And for anyone to say that they will never be disabled or unable to work is incredible. You never know what might happen to you. I think you would probably take that back if you were diagnosed with some unfortunate ailment tomorrow.

Fortunately for you, most of the JCP staff have too much work to do to be bothered checking every piece of 'research' into finding a job that you've stated you've done. And with an individual in your position, they will quite happily put their stamp in the box as they would like to think you'd understand the importance of rapid re-entry into employment.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tim

Everything seems to be a bit of a joke with you. A serious point don't give too much personal information on a public internet forum and my experience of life is trust NO ONE. Sad but true.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How would people have known they would not be able to meet the mortgage payments in the future ?. Crystal Balls ?.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
sadly most of these people knew they could not maintain the repayments on these loans prior to taking them out, I claiming what I consider I am entitled to.[/QUOTE]

Sweet Jesus, that last bit can't be for real !!!:nono:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gareth, what are the rules about key worker share housing with regards to a mortgage.

say a flat is 150k, do i take it that one party has to find 75k of that...if so, what is the standpoint of trying to get a mortgage on that 75k? presumably the person would have to find a 25% deposit? What is the way the mortgage company view the risk...because if a person defaults, they cant sell the property as they only in effect have a charge on 50% of the property

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here