Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Things available today that show how lazy we have all become

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Electric toasters.

I'm old enough to remember having to grill toast.

Oh, and colour TV's. Gutted to get burgled in the 70's but the insurance payout at least got us an upgrade to a colour set!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ready meals.

Go to any supermarket, and you will find aisles and aisles of ready meals, from lasagne to fried chicken, from paella to curry, from pizza to burgers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pancake mixture in a bottle. Unreal.
1691157739140.png

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Phoning people who are upstairs / in the next room.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Was talking about Blockbuster Video in Worthing the other day, with a friend who worked there many years ago. Ah, the carpets. The musty smell of stale popcorn.

The idea that you used to have to make a specific physical trip (perhaps even by car with parking and everything) to go and choose ONE film to borrow, and watch. And if it was rubbish, tough. That was your entertainment for the evening. AND then you have to again make the trip to take it back.

That seems unthinkably antiquated now.

I was talking to a class of Italian teenagers (16-18 year-olds) about video shops the other day. Also played them the dial-up sound. They looked at me as if I was an alien.

Jul 7, 2003
The old bird who does my tidy and cleaning doesn’t even charge me.
You'd better hope she doesn't see this - not because of the cleaning comment but because you've called her an Old Bird

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think one of the most interesting things in amongst all this, is the duelling concepts of;

SERVICE - old marketplace

vs

FREEDOM - new marketplace

Example - back in the day the customer would pay for a service, and the service provider would do whatever necessary to make sure you received a good service. It was clear who was providing the money, and who was providing the service.

Nowadays, a lot of things that are basically big corporations getting you to do jobs they previously had to pay people to do (think self checkouts, think the computer terminals in a bank), are dressed up in the guide of freedom.

I work in financial services, and there is a heck of a lot of "Did you know your client can now do this online? They can now access this themselves!"

Older clients in particular generally have no interest in "doing this online". They don't find it exciting to be involved in the service being provided any more than necessary.

As I get older, I empathise more and more with my Dad's view of old marketplace vs new marketplace. In my view, old marketplace there was a clear hierarchy between customer and service provider. Now it all feels very matey, very equal, "you can be involved in the journey now" which in some cases is just an excuse to get the customer to complete a lot of tasks that really used to be a part of the service being provided and paid for.

Rapidly aging man rant over.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My favourite topic this.

Where to start. Yes dogwalkers is a good start. Why get a dog unless you have time/energy to walk them. End of.

Easy to open biscuits - its a con people. We used to have many hours of happily struggling to open a pack of biscuits. Now one third of the way down you can rip it open, but then unless you have a biscuit tin you feel you have to eat one third of the biscuit packet. Hence why they did it!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was talking about Blockbuster Video in Worthing the other day, with a friend who worked there many years ago. Ah, the carpets. The musty smell of stale popcorn.

The idea that you used to have to make a specific physical trip (perhaps even by car with parking and everything) to go and choose ONE film to borrow, and watch. And if it was rubbish, tough. That was your entertainment for the evening. AND then you have to again make the trip to take it back.

That seems unthinkably antiquated now.
You missed out the step where, having watched the film, Blockbuster requested that you be a Video Friend or somesuch, and rewind the tape ready for the next customer to watch.

It was progress indeed when technology moved on and Netflix would send you a DVD in the post, you'd watch the movie, then post it back to them :lol:

2019-08-27-image-3.jpg

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Sliced bread, lazy. Move a knife backwards and forwards a few times and then you have a slice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here