[News] Things available today that show how lazy we have all become

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I wouldn't say so. Whilst yes it caters to lazy people too, it's extremely useful for people who are ill, disabled or have mental illness that prevents them from being able to go to the shop if they need something urgently.
Aye but that stands for most things doesn't it? People have to drive for very valid reasons. Able bodied people driving a mile is lazy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Deliveroo and Uber grocery's surely? They sell hardly any stock, it's over priced and supermarkets already offer delivery. You just have to have a modicum of organisation.
Coffees (only) delivered to your door. Not food. Just a hot drink. And we wonder how climate change can be stopped?!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
'How were we today? We would love your feedback'

So you want me to spend my time helping you do your customer research, something that you should be spending your own time on then?
Eh?

Surely doing customer research will involve getting some input from customers?

How else do you expect them to do it, other than by asking you a few questions? (other customers are available)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As a dog owner I really can't fathom why you get a dog and then entrust them with the fuckwits that are dog walkers. If you want a dog then bloody well get one if you can walk it YOURSELF. I've seen some atrocious behaviour by so called 'professional' dog walkers.

My lazy luxury is a house cleaner every Friday. Bliss !
This. I just wouldn’t trust a “professional” dog walker with mine either. Occasionally a dear friend looks after ours when we go away on holiday, but even then our holidays typically include the dogs so that’s unlikely. When you get a dog, your life tends to revolve around them not the other way round! And frankly, I like that / it’s our decision. Shouldn’t own one if you can’t look after )nearly every day) as you say.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Ready meals.

Go to any supermarket, and you will find aisles and aisles of ready meals, from lasagne to fried chicken, from paella to curry, from pizza to burgers.
…including ‘prepared’ veg. Because life’s too short to peel and cut up a carrot isn’t it? The time saving is enormous isn’t it?! 😃 Sake…🤬

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so I decided to go to Morganville which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So, I tied an onion to my belt which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel. And in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say. Now, where were we? Oh, yeah! The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Eh?

Surely doing customer research will involve getting some input from customers?

How else do you expect them to do it, other than by asking you a few questions? (other customers are available)
A lot of customer research is already automatically enabled, without relying on the customer agreeing to it ! Have you ever noticed that when you've googled anything, and then if you have ads enabled, the ads are mysteriously tailored to you, and even include the things you've recently googled?

Supermarkets capture your spending habits through your loyalty cards, and make product offerings based on your spending habits. Coupons and offers we get from the Co-op, M&S and Waitrose are all based on what we buy at those outlets. Credit cards have a complete history of your spending habits on that card. Good old American Express used to attach coupons on the back of your statement, based on what you bought.

This has been going on for decades....

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so I decided to go to Morganville which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So, I tied an onion to my belt which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel. And in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say. Now, where were we? Oh, yeah! The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.
Nurse?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On some cruise lines, they send a bloody great flash merc to pick you up, load your bags, drive you to the airport/port, drop off your bags, next seen in your stateroom unpacked by your cabin steward/ butler, fully organised excursions, taken off the ship after your cruise and delivered in said merc to your home.

they even have a service to arrive a your house the day before, iron and pack your clothes etc, take the bags to the ship/airport and coming home, stick all your clothes through their laundry service and return them to your house, where they unpack for you.

marvellous scenes if you are an old bugger like me

Stumpy Tim

Ipads when used by parents to keep their child distracted or entertained, because the parent can't be bothered to interact with their child. I see it frequently on public transport ("Oh, Tarquin's bored. Here, let him watch Peppa Pig on this little screen - and the rest of the carriage can listen to it too") . I worry that we're producing a generation of toddlers who will grow-up without any inter-personal, human communication and cognitive skills because their parents didn't talk to them, play games, read them a story, or engage in any shared leisure activities through which a child indirectly learns life skills, and also respect for other people
I bought a first generation ipad when my daughter was 2. I remember going to a coffee shop and seeing 3 kids watching on ipads and I realise it was going to be the most expensive toy for kids ever invented. If it helps your concerns, she's now a 14 year old smart kid who has no problems interacting with other people.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I had stopped cycling because of the hills round here. I now cycle to work twice-a-week on my e-bike instead of driving. So, an electric bike has actually made me less lazy. Pretty sure that's the case for quite a lot of us older cyclists too.
Exactly this. We have a Motorhome and when we first bought one Mrs DiS and I vowed we would never tow car with it. We graduated from ordinary bikes to electric about 3 years ago. while on holiday in France recently we actually did a 30plus mile trip on one day.
And just because you have a battery doesn’t mean you have to use the power - certainly not all the time.

P.S. And just to add she’s 69 and I’m 70

Last edited:

seagurl

Mar 21, 2012
Dairylea cheese triangles. In my day you had to try and unpeel the foil which was really tricky. Or use your teeth to bit into the foil which really grated on your fillings. Or get a sharp knife and cut down the middle which meant you had to dig out both sides of the triangle, leaving quite a lot in the corners. Now there is a little red strip which handily removes the wrapping. Without any effort. Kids today.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Waiter/waitress service creep.

I don't like it. It's nefarious. Underhand. Forren. Cafe culture of the devil.

What's the matter with going up to the bar and ordering your drinks like generations before us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports