Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Things available today that show how lazy we have all become

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Shopping robots.
I get that it could be a good thing for the elderly or if you are ill but I see perfectly fit people coming out of their houses to pull out their shopping when delivered.
Plus they shit the life out of my pooch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We’ve all missed the open goal (although someone mentioned the internet).
North Stand Chat.
Whatever happened to going down the pub to chat?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Was talking about Blockbuster Video in Worthing the other day, with a friend who worked there many years ago. Ah, the carpets. The musty smell of stale popcorn.

The idea that you used to have to make a specific physical trip (perhaps even by car with parking and everything) to go and choose ONE film to borrow, and watch. And if it was rubbish, tough. That was your entertainment for the evening. AND then you have to again make the trip to take it back.

That seems unthinkably antiquated now.
I used to think I was being lazy by ordering a DVD to rent over the internet, waiting in anticipation for a few days for it to arrive, then eventually getting around to sending it back. Rinse and repeat.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Going to away games involved getting to the town/city of the home team and then driving round looking for the floodlights.

If you hadn't yet spied the floodlights but saw a car with an Albion sticker/scarf in view, you tucked in behind them because "they must know where they're going".

On other days, whilst you still hadn't spied the floodlights, an Albion fan would tuck in behind you because "they must know where they're going", only you didn't, so they dutifully followed you on a magical mystery tour of the town/city, often for a very, very long time.

Sat navs and modern stadia lacking floodlight pylons ruined this whole experience.
Following floodlights did for me trying to find Ayrsome Park for a night game. I did not realise how many railway marshalling yards in Middlesbrough had floodlight pylons.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Jobs I used to do but now pay someone else

House Cleaner

Oven cleaner

Gutters and Soffits

Car wash

Actually going to a supermarket to do a big shop (now delivered)

Amazon - saves me going to the shops if I can wait a day

Twitter (X) saves me going to the pub to argue with random people

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Going to away games involved getting to the town/city of the home team and then driving round looking for the floodlights.

If you hadn't yet spied the floodlights but saw a car with an Albion sticker/scarf in view, you tucked in behind them because "they must know where they're going".

On other days, whilst you still hadn't spied the floodlights, an Albion fan would tuck in behind you because "they must know where they're going", only you didn't, so they dutifully followed you on a magical mystery tour of the town/city, often for a very, very long time.

Sat navs and modern stadia lacking floodlight pylons ruined this whole experience.
Once spend half an hour driving around a Sheffield housing estate trying to find the way to Hillsborough back in the day. (Still massive mind)

We asked a local (judging by accent) and he said “isn’t it in Liverpool” to this day I’m not sure if he was trying to be funny (prick) or actually didn’t know

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Not a lazy thing. They're security measures that are also incredibly useful for when you're out.
Show me the crime stats that prove that? When you order from most sites you can specify ' leave with neighbour' or ' leave in safe place ' at that stage. I don't need to speak to the delivery person. I'm not convinced

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Show me the crime stats that prove that? When you order from most sites you can specify ' leave with neighbour' or ' leave in safe place ' at that stage. I don't need to speak to the delivery person. I'm not convinced
I don't know about crime stats but when we were in France, our Ring doorbell picked up the movement of someone by our back door. We were able to speak to them asking what they wanted.
It turned out to be an innocent person who actually wanted next door, but hopefully any ne'er do well will be shocked enough to run away.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I'm too lazy to go through the whole thread but if anyone hasn't mentioned electric salt and pepper grinders then we are waaay off topic.
Actually quite helpful for people who don't have complete control of both hands for any reason.
Absolute GAMECHANGER for my step-dad (and my mum, since she doesn't have to put up with him asking her to grind pepper on things).

I wrote the above and now I can't work out if it reads like a euphemism.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We’ve all missed the open goal (although someone mentioned the internet).
North Stand Chat.
Whatever happened to going down the pub to chat?
Have you seen the people who go down the pub?

Amazon Prime.
BOO HISS NOO... As someone being a full time carer i cant live without my Amazon deliveries now. In fact often if something is slightly dearer on amazon compared to say an online retailer i usually pay the little extra for the covenience of the hassle free returns. I currently own four things that Amazon refunded me for because i complained about quality (scratched etc) and they refunded me and told me to keep due to the cost of return. I managed to carpet every hallway and stairway in my house for free because the retailed thought it okay to send carpet tiles in 6 different colours and four different thicknesses when i told them i need the same as it was intented for a 15ft square room. Bloody useless for that but made enough half tile pairs for staircases and perfectly satificatory patchwork arrangement in upstairs landing which isnt used that much!..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it seems to me change the title of the thread to "things that show how affluent we've become". paying for various appliances, gadgets, services to do mundane or time soaking tasks, so we're free to do other things we'd rather do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here