Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Secret Footballer (merged)

del_boy

Jul 3, 2012
BN1

Signed for York City at 15 they wouldn't be high standard.

He's English, played at united with Dwight York, Cantona and Keane.
Would know Beckham.

Been transfered to Middlesborough and Fullham.

Got player of the year at West Brom and Middlesborough.

double hernia problem at West Brom would require strong pain killers, explaining methadone rumors.

Played for newly promoted club.

Been with a manager for a longtime Steve McClaren? @ United as assistant, Middlesborough, Forest

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I thought it was a sauce - not speculation. I think the articles have been fantastic - but I currently tend to think there are a few players contributing.

You may well be right though.

del_boy

Jul 3, 2012
BN1
all seems to point greenings way, also the transfer date for him joining West Brom has been removed from Wiki this could have been deadline.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Not Greening. He's never been a recored transfer for any club he's signed for.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Fair enough, I've only ever read this column a handful of times. I just think there are too many clues and if there was one player writing all of it and telling the truth it would be fairly easy to work out who it is. Therefore, I'm in the camp that thinks this is the work of a journalist or a combination of several players. For instance, how many players have won back-to-back Player of the Season awards? I can't imagine there are too many in the last 15/20 years.

Absolutely this. It's a great read and I think written by an autobiography writer who's collaborated with prem footballers. The truth will out eventually, but this ain't a footballer in my view. It's an experienced sports reporter on the inside.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Having read the article, I'll probably buy the book too.

However, the article didn't flatter some of these footballers; overpaid, arrogant, immature, exaggerated sense of their own importance and entitlement and lacking any moral compass; buy it, drink it or shag it :mad:

just like me when i was 21 ......only with less money......a lot less money.:cry:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila

Would know Beckham.

double hernia problem at West Brom would require strong pain killers, explaining methadone rumors.

Been with a manager for a longtime Steve McClaren? @ United as assistant, Middlesborough, Forest

Wiped out into the crowd by Antonio Valencia at Wigan?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
BBC News - Today - Secret Footballer: 'People should question status quo'

An interesting listen. Personally, like others, I don't believe it is just one footballer. Part of me also doubts that it is a footballer at all. Judgemental maybe, but the way he talks and writes makes me think it's a journalist/writer with some very decent contacts...

The extreme anonymity (instant messaging answers, instead of going into the studio) is clearly a rouse to get more interest in, and sales of, his book.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

An interesting listen. Personally, like others, I don't believe it is just one footballer. Part of me also doubts that it is a footballer at all. Judgemental maybe, but the way he talks and writes makes me think it's a journalist/writer with some very decent contacts...

The extreme anonymity (instant messaging answers, instead of going into the studio) is clearly a rouse to get more interest in, and sales of, his book.

I read an online interview with this chap and he admitted that two other footballers know who he is and both help him out. One is recently retired and the other is still a team mate. I am still going to accept that he is a footballer. I am not going to discount him because he writes well. A number of players have good writing skills and the motivation to do this work will no doubt come from someone with such ability. Further, he is on the inside of football so he will have very decent contacts; it is the same for a lot of industries.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Doesn't sound like Greening.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I read an online interview with this chap and he admitted that two other footballers know who he is and both help him out. One is recently retired and the other is still a team mate. I am still going to accept that he is a footballer. I am not going to discount him because he writes well. A number of players have good writing skills and the motivation to do this work will no doubt come from someone with such ability. Further, he is on the inside of football so he will have very decent contacts; it is the same for a lot of industries.

I'm not saying he's NOT a footballer, he could well be, but I'm just cynical, that's all.

A good sub-editor is also woth their weight in gold :whistle:

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Tweets from Rory Smith of Times
"Has David Bentley gone to Rostov? If so, I look forward to the new secret footballer column"

" Not saying Bentley is the secret footballer, the most insignificant secret in football since Boris Mihaylov's wig. But he is a suspect...."

" and moving to Russia's not the sort of thing that you would'nt be able to mention. Murphy, Davies, Kitson, Adam suspects too, apparently"

Did anyone put forward the name of David Bentley??

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Tweets from Rory Smith of Times
"Has David Bentley gone to Rostov? If so, I look forward to the new secret footballer column"

" Not saying Bentley is the secret footballer, the most insignificant secret in football since Boris Mihaylov's wig. But he is a suspect...."

" and moving to Russia's not the sort of thing that you would'nt be able to mention. Murphy, Davies, Kitson, Adam suspects too, apparently"

Did anyone put forward the name of David Bentley??

Only as the secret reserve team footballer.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Would know Beckham.

I've interviewed Greening, and although he's a nice bloke (he even gave me a lift back to the station), if he's clever enough to be the secret footballer then he's also an Oscar-calibre actor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here