Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Poyet/Barnes love in...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To be honest, I don't think its a love in, I just think Gus is more defensive than he needs to be at the moment. My opinion of Barnes is that he is an easy target because he plays out of his natural position and is somewhat profligate at the moment. Despite what you say he does defend well and when Painter plays at LB, he does cover well. Even when Bridge plays, his commitment to his defensive work allows Bridge to maraud up and down the pitch whenever and however he wants to.

His finishing at the moment is not up to scratch, but neither is CMS. Sure, Barnes' form at the moment isn't the best but Crofts, Hammond, CMS, at the moment are actual passengers. They have added nothing at all. Even the game Hammond scored in, he was virtually anonymous up to and after that point.

Anyway, my point is:
yes, I still rate Barnes,
no, he's not in form,
yes, he needs a rest,
yes, Dobbie should be given a run, but
no, he's not the sole reason we lost to Palace or have been so inconsistent of late.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
To be honest, I don't think its a love in, I just think Gus is more defensive than he needs to be at the moment. My opinion of Barnes is that he is an easy target because he plays out of his natural position and is somewhat profligate at the moment. Despite what you say he does defend well and when Painter plays at LB, he does cover well. Even when Bridge plays, his commitment to his defensive work allows Bridge to maraud up and down the pitch whenever and however he wants to.

His finishing at the moment is not up to scratch, but neither is CMS. Sure, Barnes' form at the moment isn't the best but Crofts, Hammond, CMS, at the moment are actual passengers. They have added nothing at all. Even the game Hammond scored in, he was virtually anonymous up to and after that point.

Anyway, my point is:
yes, I still rate Barnes,
no, he's not in form,
yes, he needs a rest,
yes, Dobbie should be given a run, but
no, he's not the sole reason we lost to Palace or have been so inconsistent of late.

Spot on.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
My opinion of Barnes is that he is an easy target because he plays out of his natural position and is somewhat profligate at the moment. .

Just how long do you think this lack of form should be allowed to continue..... these same conversations were happening last season too.... he popped in a few pens and rebounds yes, but how many did he actually craft for himself, ? Something that good attacking players actually do regularly.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just how long do you think this lack of form should be allowed to continue..... these same conversations were happening last season too.... he popped in a few pens and rebounds yes, but how many did he actually craft for himself, ? Something that good attacking players actually do regularly.

Maybe if he played in his natural position he would do what you suggest...........tomorrows team selection is going to be an interesting one...with current injuries and 'form'

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You must hate CMS then.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
You must hate CMS then.
Nope, the key difference is that CMS when he does score in most cases they have because of his own endevour rather than fortunate rebounds. I love the way Barnes supporters can do nothing to actually bolster his case for inclusion other than attempt to discredit other players in the squad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nope, the key difference is that CMS when he does score in most cases they have because of his own endevour rather than fortunate rebounds. I love the way Barnes supporters can do nothing to actually bolster his case for inclusion other than attempt to discredit other players in the squad.

Who is a Barnes supporter? Not me, that's for sure.

I've always found those who have a 'player of hate' both curious and amusing.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Who is a Barnes supporter? Not me, that's for sure.

I've always found those who have a 'player of hate' both curious and amusing.
I just simply have difficulty understanding why a player of limited ability and experience is given massively extended runs in the team when others are binned after one or two games ( Dobbie, Hoskins, Toby, Lopez for example)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Such as the two deflected goals v barnsley, the penalties v watford and leeds, the goal put on a plate by bruno v sheffield wed? 5 goals that were pens or not really made by him. Out of 9 scored (and some of the other four might fall into those categories as I can't really remember them).

It's not about discrediting others to bolster Barne's case, it's about showing how the anti-barnes people have double standards - they criticise barnes for things while allowing others to do the exact same thing without criticising them, how they stand up for other players doing these things yet list them as reasons to dislike barnes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I just simply have difficulty understanding why a player of limited ability and experience is given massively extended runs in the team when others are binned after one or two games ( Dobbie, Hoskins, Toby, Lopez for example)

Because you are just looking at matches, whereas Poyet is looking at matches and training.

LuaLua must not waste chance From The Argus)

Poyet said: “There is not one player that has been fantastic in training and fantastic on Saturday afternoon who doesn’t play the next Saturday and if somebody thinks differently he is lying to himself, so it’s up to him [Lualua].

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Such as the two deflected goals v barnsley, the penalties v watford and leeds, the goal put on a plate by bruno v sheffield wed? 5 goals that were pens or not really made by him. Out of 9 scored (and some of the other four might fall into those categories as I can't really remember them).

It's not about discrediting others to bolster Barne's case, it's about showing how the anti-barnes people have double standards - they criticise barnes for things while allowing others to do the exact same thing without criticising them, how they stand up for other players doing these things yet list them as reasons to dislike barnes.
There you go proving my point, .... lol,.. why not just list those things that Barnes does in your eyes that justify his continued inclusion..... that would be a better approach.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There you go proving my point, .... lol

It's like you completely ignored the second paragraph.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

But its not about discrediting other players, its about the MASSIVE double standards in play! I'm not saying Barnes is playing well, I'm saying that he's not the only one who's in poor form. I'm happy to admit that Barnes' recent form has not been up to scratch but that applies to so many that I fail to see why its always Barnes who gets the blame and the flack when frankly others have been far worse at times.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Sorry, didn't get to your post before I posted almost the same thing!! I agree...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here