The Poyet/Barnes love in...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Ah, the ol' "I was just joking, too" defence. Well played, sir.
Well in my defense Acker, I did post a :moo: with the comment you refer to. But as usual, you just see what you want to see, and ignore whats staring you in the face.

After all, you where the only person in 25000 to see the Bolton keeper get up and dive back across the goal to save Barnes' follow up wasn't you.:p

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Because Poyet, with all his experience playing in the world's top leagues and at an international level, picks the team, in line with his own vision of how football should be played and with an idea for what he sees as a brighton identity, is apparently generally happy with Barnes' contributions. Generally speaking it is working for him and the club, if it stops working for him, he will be the one that loses his job, not the fans trying to pick the team for him based on their own biases and preferences.
Aahh,.. as I thought, you have no mind of your own, whatever Gus says..... thats fine, I thought it was a long shot anyway.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Whatever the merits of Barnes it's going to b a interesting team selection ..injuries/suspensions at the back may lend towards picking Barnes ..Orlandi injured..Lopez in? Team keen to bounce back after last weeks humbling ..attack or defend
Sadly I think you may be correct, but dont rule Harley out, he has appeared on the bench a few times, and Gus does like to surprise.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jesus - it's the Burns/Somerset tag team.

FLAB (f***ing Love Ashley Barnes) might need to call for reinforcements now.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Jesus - it's the Burns/Somerset tag team.

FLAB (f***ing Love Ashley Barnes) might need to call for reinforcements now.
But they have you and Hans Kraay Darren, you two can just edit anything to suit your chosen message that Ashley Barnes is the SON OF SATAN, and the LORD JESUS CHRIST will damn him to eternal pain by making him a NSC moderator.

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I shall bow out of this now, I have work to do,... but my last words on this thread are these,....... most of you pro-Barnes types often cite the fact that Barnes is selected because Gus sees his good points, because Gus cant be questioned, because Gus has played at the highest level and knows what he is doing.... THEN.... you bemoan and attempt to mitigate ABs poor performances by saying he is being played by Gus out of position all the time, please try not to be too contradictory eh!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Anyone who has ever had the unique experience of sitting near Tony Meola's Loan Spell when Ryan Harley is on the pitch will know he is the founding member and chairman of Albion's Ryan Seldom Excites

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Barnes is good enough to play as an out and out striker then play him there.
If not it is pointless having him in the side.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Aahh,.. as I thought, you have no mind of your own, whatever Gus says..... thats fine, I thought it was a long shot anyway.

You asked me "to drag out the reasons for Banes continued appearance on the team sheet and I dont mean list the perceived deficiencies in other players"

My own mind, or supposed lack thereof, has nothing to do with that. What I think of Barnes doesn't have any affect on Barnes' appearance in the team sheet. The only thing that does, is what Gus says. The only explanation for his continued appearance on the team sheet is Gus.

People may have opinions on his contribution - the goals he scores, the way his poor form can suddenly change, the way he does what Gus asks of him, the support he shows defence, the lack of defensive cohesion and the goals we concede when he leaves the pitch (3 points became one after he went off v bolton, a two goal lead stopped us dropping points v Huddersfield when we conceded after he went off), how we were 2-1 down against 10man wolves when he came onthe goal line clearances v hull and millwall, the free kick he won that Bridge scored from v sheff wed, the strength and control shown to set up Dobbie's goal v Peterborough, his carrying the ball from deep in defence into opponents half (such as the time he did this v Bolton, setting up CMS who was brought down and we scored from the resulting free kick), the wrongly disallowed goal v Huddersfield, being top scorer last season (despite some poor performances - watford away being one of, if not the, lowest average nsc rating that season), his 9.13 average nsc match rating performance v Barnsley showing how good he can play (essentially gifting CMS at both his goals in that game), are all things one can point to to show Barnes does contribute and has usefulness within the squad, but ultimately that doesn't mean anything near as much as "Gus picks the team and rates Barnes" as far as explaining why he has featured in 83% of our games this season.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It's funny because I have NEVER spoke to anyone going to or in the ground that thinks Barnes should be playing.i also notice that about 9/10 team selections on here on a Friday before the game never contain Barnes,yet you just know it will be 'no 9 Ashleeeey Barnes' when dick head reads the teams out tomorrow.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's funny because I have NEVER spoke to anyone going to or in the ground that thinks Barnes should be playing.i also notice that about 9/10 team selections on here on a Friday before the game never contain Barnes,yet you just know it will be 'no 9 Ashleeeey Barnes' when dick head reads the teams out tomorrow.

Yet 9/10 moan when we can't keep possession because he's not in the team.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You asked me "to drag out the reasons for Banes continued appearance on the team sheet and I dont mean list the perceived deficiencies in other players"

My own mind, or supposed lack thereof, has nothing to do with that. What I think of Barnes doesn't have any affect on Barnes' appearance in the team sheet. The only thing that does, is what Gus says. The only explanation for his continued appearance on the team sheet is Gus.

People may have opinions on his contribution - the goals he scores, the way his poor form can suddenly change, the way he does what Gus asks of him, the support he shows defence, the lack of defensive cohesion and the goals we concede when he leaves the pitch (3 points became one after he went off v bolton, a two goal lead stopped us dropping points v Huddersfield when we conceded after he went off), how we were 2-1 down against 10man wolves when he came onthe goal line clearances v hull and millwall, the free kick he won that Bridge scored from v sheff wed, the strength and control shown to set up Dobbie's goal v Peterborough, his carrying the ball from deep in defence into opponents half (such as the time he did this v Bolton, setting up CMS who was brought down and we scored from the resulting free kick), the wrongly disallowed goal v Huddersfield, being top scorer last season (despite some poor performances - watford away being one of, if not the, lowest average nsc rating that season), his 9.13 average nsc match rating performance v Barnsley showing how good he can play (essentially gifting CMS at both his goals in that game), are all things one can point to to show Barnes does contribute and has usefulness within the squad, but ultimately that doesn't mean anything near as much as "Gus picks the team and rates Barnes" as far as explaining why he has featured in 83% of our games this season.

And that sums up the difference between you and me. You see no bad in Barnes and will NOT have him critised. The Barnsley game at the end of your list he "gifted" CMS two goals, where gifted by mis-hittng shots. They were not passes, they were shots he miss hit. But you see them and label them as assits, which the records show they were and they are, but everyone knows they were weak mis hit shanks.

BUT, even taking away those shanks, and the first goal against Barnsley that the keeper dropped at his feet, I thought Barnsley was Barnes' best game in an Albion shirt, and I praised him straight after, to the extent some thought my account had been hacked..... and that's the different. I WILL and DO praise him when I think he's had a good game. Granted, its very rare, but that's because I think Barnes having a good game is very rare.

On the other hand, you will defend him no matter what, as the above and the Bolton penatly miss proves, when you saw the keeper get up and dive the other way to save the rebound, when the rest of the crowd saw Barnes hit the ball straight back at a keeper on the ground.

I hope Barnes goes and scores 5 goals on Saturday at Charlton. I'll be singing his praises if he does. But that won't suddendly mean I think hes the best player we have, if the next dozen games he wastes chance after chances and does very little else. But if Barnes' contribution at Charlton was to stand on the centre spot, and stratch his bollocks for 90 minutes, you would still find a way of defending him, and have nothing said against it, and that's why I'm afriad, its very hard to give any merit to anything you say on here.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And that sums up the difference between you and me. You see no bad in Barnes and will NOT have him critised...

Not so. I will not have him criticised unfairly. I highlight double standards (of which there are many when people judge Barnes), and sometimes just put forward the other side of the argument so that the discussion can continue. I don't need to highlight his flaws or the bad things he does because there are people like you who are only to happy to. There is also an element of 'he's a brighton player and when people exhibit these double standards in an effort to wage a war on one of our own players, I'm going to defend him.'

My actual opinion of him is that he is neither as bad as people like you suggest he is, nor as good as some of the posters who sing his praises to the other extreme from you say (and again I stress my part in the argument is giving the counter argument and highlighting the many double standards). Do I think he's the best ever? No. Do I think he is a lightweight coward who isn't even good enough for league 1? No. Do I think he's good enough to play a part with an upper championship side? Yes. Has he had poor performances? Yes. Has he made mistakes? Yes. Should Gus drop him? If Gus wants to. Would I like to see hoskins and/or dobbie given a run in the team? Absolutely.

On the other hand, you will defend him no matter what, as the above and the Bolton penatly miss proves, when you saw the keeper get up and dive the other way to save the rebound, when the rest of the crowd saw Barnes hit the ball straight back at a keeper on the ground.

Watch the penalty again: down to his right, to his knees, dives to his left (around the 32-35 second mark)

YouTube

Or from behind:
Adam Bogdan Double Penalty Save - Brighton vs Bolton 24/11/12 - YouTube

frame by frame
bolton pen.jpg

I can't help it if I notice things. And for the record, my argument with that was that it wasn't as embarrassing as some people made out and there was a logic to going to where the keeper was diving away from instead of where he is diving toward. I didn't say he made the right choice, or that I didn't think he should have gone the other way, just that some people were hyping it up a bit too much, imo. (and again the double standards of CMS trying to hit it in the same place for the second follow up, but no one criticising him or talking like it was the standard bearer for worst miss ever).

I hope Barnes goes and scores 5 goals on Saturday at Charlton. I'll be singing his praises if he does.

I doubt that. I suspect if pressed due to people bumping some of your comments you might acknowledge a good performance, but sing his praises is too much for you.

But if Barnes' contribution at Charlton was to stand on the centre spot, and stratch his bollocks for 90 minutes, you would still find a way of defending him, and have nothing said against it, and that's why I'm afriad, its very hard to give any merit to anything you say on here.

Only if Buckley or Hammond or Crofts also does that and no one criticises them (that double standards thing), otherwise I would at the very least not get involved in the discussion of his performance, likely agree that it was bad. But really, that's just a ridiculous extreme to paint me as more blindly pro-barnes than I actually am.

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Only if Buckley or Hammond or Crofts also does that and no one criticises them (that double standards thing), otherwise I would at the very least not get involved in the discussion of his performance, likely agree that it was bad. But really, that's just a ridiculous extreme to paint me as more blindly pro-barnes than I actually am.

Watch the penalty again: down to his right, to his knees, dives to his left (around the 32-35 second mark)
We sir, have widely different opinions as to what a dive is.

Its clear from the video, the Bolton keeper gets to his knees and Barnes blasts it start at him. The penatly was shocking, the follow up was Sunday league standard at best. (and before anyone jumps on that, I'm not saying Barnes is Sunday league standard)

Defend him by all means if you think people go overboard, but as I say, you are really grasping at straws on this one. The keepers "Dive" hasn't altered his postion. I fail to see how you can begin to defend that instant, and then claim you are not completely blindly pro Barnes. That miss, and that miss alone was simply embarrasing.

Even your frame by frame that you so boringly made for us, sees the keeper in the same position in frame 1 and 3. He didn't dive left as you claimed at the time, and appartently still see him doing. And anyway, I wish he did dive left, as he might have dived out of the way of the follow up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports