Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Poyet/Barnes love in...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Is going to cost us dear... (Yes, I've taken a snippet of this from another thread)

All this left winger must defend bollocks is a complete myth, 1) the person who does it isn't actually that good at it anyway and 2) It's sacrificing an attacking position, pretty much signalling the intent we don't want to attack much and we're happy to invite teams onto us.

For me this is one of the main reasons things go wrong, we're not that bad, we don't need to set up as defensive as we do, we have a back four and three in central misfield as it is, is that not enough? Good grief, we're not going to win many matches against top half teams without actually attacking.

We have capable attacking players although for some reason they don't get a run after one below par performance whilst others that continually perform averagely keep getting picked time and time again, take Tuesday night for instance, more attacking/less defensive set up, win 2-0, alright it wasn't impressive but we beat a team who won on the road at a top team just days before, then what happens Saturday? Back to normal.

I eagerly await the piss off replies but that's how I see it right now.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Is going to cost us dear... (Yes, I've taken a snippet of this from another thread)

All this left winger must defend bollocks is a complete myth, 1) the person who does it isn't actually that good at it anyway and 2) It's sacrificing an attacking position, pretty much signalling the intent we don't want to attack much and we're happy to invite teams onto us.

For me this is one of the main reasons things go wrong, we're not that bad, we don't need to set up as defensive as we do, we have a back four and three in central misfield as it is, is that not enough? Good grief, we're not going to win many matches against top half teams without actually attacking.

We have capable attacking players although for some reason they don't get a run after one below par performance whilst others that continually perform averagely keep getting picked time and time again, take Tuesday night for instance, more attacking/less defensive set up, win 2-0, alright it wasn't impressive but we beat a team who won on the road at a top team just days before, then what happens Saturday? Back to normal.

I eagerly await the piss of replies but that's how I see it right now.

Agree with every word

Poyet is saying I need 9 players to defend as my other 8 aren't good enough

All the teams with success in this division play TWO wingers, he needs to swap Barnes for a winger or play him as a central striker. The current system just isn't working

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Always gave Barnes a fair crack but not anymore.i was watching him closely yesterday and he did absolutely nothing in the first half.he tracks back but dosn't do anything when he does.he had a little spell early in the 2nd with the ball to cms and a couple of other nice touches but that is all I saw.If some think that is enough to warrant a good game then god help Us.
surely we won't be saying this in a years time will we?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

I eagerly await the piss of replies but that's how I see it right now.

Not from me you won't! Spot on

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Good post OP

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Or have an opinion different to yours you mean?...

Sorry, I thought this was a football forum, my apologies, I'll fall back in line with the blinkered ones.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Sorry, I thought this was a football forum, my apologies, I'll fall back in line with the blinkered ones.

You're very welcome to have a different opinion, after all, a message board wouldn't work without them, but how many threads do you need to start?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Had Mr Bridge been playing yesterday, I suspect the set up would have been somewhat different. To base your post on one game (which is what you have done having mentioned the Brizzle game) is somewhat churlish, particularly one in which we played a makeshift left back (for whatever reason).

If the team is setup the same way when Bridge is back, then you have a valid point. For now, though, I will reserve judgement.

There. Not a piss off in sight. Oh..

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Thunder bolt only ever posts in disagreement with others anyhow. I wouldn't take much notice.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not going to knock Barnes as I think he's a fairly useful player who is largely a positive contributor but if we are to push on with our ambitions he'd also be one that we need to "swap out". In that context I don't understand the whole Dobbie thing. He stated publicly he wanted away from Swansea because he wasn't getting game time and he could have had a pick of many I suspect. So when he met with Gus surely he'd have been asking about where and how he would fit as well as getting some sort of feeling that he would be playing regularly, subject to form of course.

So why isn't he playing ... at least sharing game time a bit more with Barnes who I see as the most obvious position for him to occupy? How pissed of must he be and I get the feeling he won't be easy to handle if he thinks he's been sold a pup

Eastbourne Stripes

Smith must score
Jun 8, 2009
Eastbourne
The Barnes debate will rumble on, however its not relevant for the Palace game the match was lost after the red card, a very similar situation to the West Ham game last season a poor ball played across our lines not controled costing us the game, however i feel that clinical finishing in genral will cost us and cms is fast catching Barnes up in this department, also a quality centre half required, Dunk not up to the big games also Greer has been poor this season and yet again loses composure inside the box

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Barnes was clearly upset about being dropped against Bristol City. Arguably, therefore, Gus didn't have a lot of choice in bringing him back in for the Palace game. He would not wish to run the risk of falling out with the player that he appears to rate the most highly.

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven
I'm not going to knock Barnes as I think he's a fairly useful player who is largely a positive contributor but if we are to push on with our ambitions he'd also be one that we need to "swap out". In that context I don't understand the whole Dobbie thing. He stated publicly he wanted away from Swansea because he wasn't getting game time and he could have had a pick of many I suspect. So when he met with Gus surely he'd have been asking about where and how he would fit as well as getting some sort of feeling that he would be playing regularly, subject to form of course.

So why isn't he playing ... at least sharing game time a bit more with Barnes who I see as the most obvious position for him to occupy? How pissed of must he be and I get the feeling he won't be easy to handle if he thinks he's been sold a pup

Please explain to me what Barnes actually contributes to the team! He wins nothing in the air or on the deck, he's weak and loses the ball more than any other player and his attitude stinks! Not only is he by far our worst player, by keeping him in the squad he keeps a better player such as Dobbie on the bench who by now must be thoroughtly bemused like 99% of all Brighton fans as to wht Poyet insists on keep playing a player whio is consistently shit.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Gus had a bit of a mare yesterday, including ongoing abuse of the lino alledgedly screaming " you f**king wa**er " and "f**king c**t " along the touch line towards him, is not what he should be doing.
His mimicing of Zaha's historionics didn't help him either, he seemed to have lost it at various stages of the game yesterday.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Had Mr Bridge been playing yesterday, I suspect the set up would have been somewhat different. To base your post on one game (which is what you have done having mentioned the Brizzle game) is somewhat churlish, particularly one in which we played a makeshift left back (for whatever reason).

If the team is setup the same way when Bridge is back, then you have a valid point. For now, though, I will reserve judgement.

There. Not a piss off in sight. Oh..

Spot on.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004

You moan about being allowed to have a different opinion, then the next minute, you have a go at those with a different opinion from you by calling them blinkered. This "different opinion" stuff that's always shouted about is all very well, but it works both ways.

D

Deleted member 18477

I like Barnes BUT I have to agree with those who are saying what does he actually offer us now? With Barnes on the left we are SO predictable in our attacking play. Everything goes towards the one winger who usually gets crowded out. I wanna see Barnes up front but not ahead of Hoskins, Dobbie or CMS.

I cannot believe poyet is STILL using the same system in every match! It's so obvious that sometimes you need 2 wingers or even to play 4-4-2 why can he not see it? Why?

It's also obvious that when dunk plays, he needs to have 2 other CB's as cover! Playing 5 across the back in effect. It clearly needed 3 CB's to handle Murray yesterday as he is unstoppable on his day (again poyet should know this as he use to f***ing manage him)!

Sort it out gus or yes please do go home.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Please explain to me what Barnes actually contributes to the team! He wins nothing in the air or on the deck, he's weak and loses the ball more than any other player and his attitude stinks! Not only is he by far our worst player, by keeping him in the squad he keeps a better player such as Dobbie on the bench who by now must be thoroughtly bemused like 99% of all Brighton fans as to wht Poyet insists on keep playing a player whio is consistently shit.

I think we're too far apart, can give you my logic but still too bruised from yesterday for a virtual punch up, particularly if I'm in a 1% minority! I accept though he has his limitations and I'm far from believing he should be playing as regularly as he does .... more importantly, and as I said, I totally agree with you about Dobbie which was the real point of the post (and I don't buy the defensive duties stuff that is frequently used, at all)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here