Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Poyet/Barnes love in...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
But its not about discrediting other players, its about the MASSIVE double standards in play! I'm not saying Barnes is playing well, I'm saying that he's not the only one who's in poor form. I'm happy to admit that Barnes' recent form has not been up to scratch but that applies to so many that I fail to see why its always Barnes who gets the blame and the flack when frankly others have been far worse at times.
Because ALL the other players get benched or worse, Barnes remains ever present however he performs.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sooo,.. great in training is where it matters?... disregard a poor on the pitch contribution.... ?

Perhaps. But it's not just about Barnes, and not just about one match. You have to factor in what Barnes is capable of, what he has shown on average (and Gus appreciates what he contributes in a normal barnes performance), what the alternative produce in matches, how the alternatives train, etc.

If you have barnes who usually does what poyet wants him to (even if fans don't always understand/appreciate what that is), has an off game or a dip in form with a history of getting over that, who trains really well, or an alternative of a player who doesn't train so well, gives a performance that the fans enjoy but maybe doesn't fall in with what Gus wants, then of course Gus is going to go with Barnes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Because ALL the other players get benched or worse, Barnes remains ever present however he performs.

No he doesn't. Last time Bridge was fit Barnes was dropped, and he's definitely been subbed in the last few games. Your one-eyed hatred is making you miss actual facts now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Barnes has been benched 3 times this season. More than Kuszczak, Bruno, Greer, and Bridcutt. CMS missed three games because of injury, otherwise he would have had more starts than Barnes (gus has only chosen not to start him once). El Abd and Bridge are only below him because of injury, Hammond because he joined us late. Barnes has not started about 15% of our games this season. The idea that he is an ever present/undroppable, is a false one, and has been subbed off in six of his 17 league starts.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
No he doesn't. Last time Bridge was fit Barnes was dropped, and he's definitely been subbed in the last few games. Your one-eyed hatred is making you miss actual facts now.
Yes, subbed late on for a cameo performance by Dobbie hardly worth the effort. He was benched for that one game which breathed fresh air into the fans expectations for future seletions but no, he was back in for the rest of the games since then.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, subbed late on for a cameo performance by Dobbie hardly worth the effort. He was benched for that one game which breathed fresh air into the fans expectations for future seletions but no, he was back in for the rest of the games since then.

Because Bridge got injured, and we conceded 3 goals in that game. Whether I agree with Gus keeping him in, the logic is understandable, if a bit over cautious.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Cardiff City Barnes played 65 including first half injury time (for Lualua who played 30mins due to second half injury time) 30mins not a cameo
Barnsley 87 (for Agdestein - 8mins) game won, giving some experience to youth
Sheffield Wednesday 83 (for Lopez - 11min) New signee being eased in to a won game
Leeds United 85 (for dobbie - 13mins) is 15% of the match a cameo?
Huddersfield 64 (for dicker - 33mins) 34% certainly isn't
Bolton 78 (for Crofts - 18mins) Almost one fifth of the match.

He was benched v watford, wolves and bristol.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Cardiff City Barnes played 65 including first half injury time (for Lualua who played 30mins due to second half injury time) 30mins not a cameo
Barnsley 87 (for Agdestein - 8mins) game won, giving some experience to youth
Sheffield Wednesday 83 (for Lopez - 11min) New signee being eased in to a won game
Leeds United 85 (for dobbie - 13mins) is 15% of the match a cameo?
Huddersfield 64 (for dicker - 33mins) 34% certainly isn't
Bolton 78 (for Crofts - 18mins) Almost one fifth of the match.

He was benched v watford, wolves and bristol.
For goodness sake, anything in the 80th minute onwards is a cameo..... I stand corrected that he started 3 games on the bench, I thought it was one.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I stand corrected that he started 3 games on the bench, I thought it was one.

This blind hatred thing is brilliant to observe.

I remember a geezer in the North at the Goldstone shouting "you're f***ing shit Wilkins" as his player-of-hate had mis-placed a pass.

Only he hadn't. Wilkins had been subbed off about 10 minutes before. There's a good reason for the 'blind' bit in 'blind hatred'.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For goodness sake, anything in the 80th minute onwards is a cameo..... I stand corrected that he started 3 games on the bench, I thought it was one.

The problem with the minute a player comes off being a defining point of what is a cameo, is that it doesn't take into consideration injury time, which increases the amount of time a player has to have an effect on the game. After 80mins would mean 10mins or less is a cameo, only once has the person who replaced barns played less than 10 minutes, and it wasn't Dobbie.

Despite what some of the anti-barnes people think, Barnes isn't undroppable, he does get taken off, and some times that's Gus's traditional first substitution (60-65min mark).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I remember a geezer in the North at the Goldstone shouting "you're f***ing shit Wilkins" as his player-of-hate had mis-placed a pass.

Only he hadn't. Wilkins had been subbed off about 10 minutes before. There's a good reason for the 'blind' bit in 'blind hatred'.

I remember last season Barne's corner being criticised (Dicker took it), he was also criticised for not getting on the end of said corner (Sparrow I think), and then for skewing the shot from the cleared ball (Painter). All criticisms came from the same person.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Hatred is very strong, and blind it wouldnt be even if it was appropriate language. I look, I see, I comment..... its the nature of the beast that subjectivity creeps into forum discussions...... I missed the Wolves and Watford game, hence the missing stat in my memory banks.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I remember last season Barne's corner being criticised (Dicker took it), he was also criticised for not getting on the end of said corner (Sparrow I think), and then for skewing the shot from the cleared ball (Painter). All criticisms came from the same person.
Wow, your powers of recall are impressive, now try, just for me, to drag out the reasons for Barnes continued appearance on the team sheet
and I dont mean list the perceived deficiencies in other players.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wow, your powers of recall are impressive, now try, just for me, to drag out the reasons for Banes continued appearance on the team sheet
and I dont mean list the perceived deficiencies in other players.

Because Poyet, with all his experience playing in the world's top leagues and at an international level, picks the team, in line with his own vision of how football should be played and with an idea for what he sees as a brighton identity, is apparently generally happy with Barnes' contributions. Generally speaking it is working for him and the club, if it stops working for him, he will be the one that loses his job, not the fans trying to pick the team for him based on their own biases and preferences.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Whatever the merits of Barnes it's going to b a interesting team selection ..injuries/suspensions at the back may lend towards picking Barnes ..Orlandi injured..Lopez in? Team keen to bounce back after last weeks humbling ..attack or defend

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The problem with the minute a player comes off being a defining point of what is a cameo, is that it doesn't take into consideration injury time, which increases the amount of time a player has to have an effect on the game. After 80mins would mean 10mins or less is a cameo, only once has the person who replaced barns played less than 10 minutes, and it wasn't Dobbie.

Despite what some of the anti-barnes people think, Barnes isn't undroppable, he does get taken off, and some times that's Gus's traditional first substitution (60-65min mark).

And quite often we don't see the ball for another 10 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here