The Other Darts

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Highlights are on BBC 2 now, currently 2 old bints having a go, I think they have just picked them out of the crowd!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I am not hugely knowledgeable on darts so please correct me if I am wrong.
1) The PDC contains a group of professional players acknowledged as the top players, playing on their own circuit.
2) The BDO represents the rank and file of the game. Every level up to County standard and then tournaments.

It is a similar comparison to the Premiership and the rest of professional football. Surely the PDC relies on new talent emerging via the BDO. Young talented players would not be admitted straight into the PDC. They have to do their apprenticeship via the BDO system.
The standard at the BDO is not brilliant but taking it off our screens is surely similar to only showing Pemiership football. We all accept that football is a lower standard as you drop down the leagues so the same is true of darts. The BDO has all the history of the game. The PDC now has the money and the glamour.
I believe a gentleman called Ollie Crofts has been the controlling influence at the BDO for years ( don't know whether he is still in charge ) and was told some while back that he was totally anti an amalgamation of the two organisations.
When I was growing up, The NOTW was the big event. It was replaced by the BDO World Championships and now the PDC gets all the plaudits and will continue growing stronger at the expense of the BDO.
I would like to see a merger but it does look unlikely in the near future.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Your saying in this present day there is a difference in size of trebles and doubles on bdo / pdc boards?

Yep, they always mention it on the commentary when there is the Grand Slam of Darts as it combines the two

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Didn't want to start a new thread, is it normal to have shoulder ache after playing Darts for long periods? ???

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I reckon that over the best of five sets and with 4 matches per session Phil Taylor could take on all 32 players in this tournament and win all the matches back to back, and yet the BBC have signed up to show this dross for another 3 years.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I reckon that over the best of five sets and with 4 matches per session Phil Taylor could take on all 32 players in this tournament and win all the matches back to back, and yet the BBC have signed up to show this dross for another 3 years.

Scott Waites beating Phil Taylor 5-2 in this years Grand Slam of Darts suggests otherwise !

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
The Stephen Bunting/Darryl Fitton match was very entertaining and of a high standard last night (Tuesday).

Lakeside, Frimley Green has a nice atmosphere with a crowd that respects the players. The same can't be said of Alexandra Palace for the PDC version a couple of weeks ago; drunken yobs trying to put off the players at times.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The detractors of the BDO should have watched Bunting v Fitton. High quality throughout. Wouldn't have been out of place at the PDC.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The detractors of the BDO should have watched Bunting v Fitton. High quality throughout. Wouldn't have been out of place at the PDC.

Average, according to the Liverpool Echo, were Fitton 93.69, Bunting 95.70. That's a bog standard PDC Premier League match, but you wouldn't trouble Phil Taylor or MVG unless you added 5 to that.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It doesn't help that both the BBC and ESPN saddle their coverage with a commentary team that are about as entertaining as an anal fistula.

True, although I'm willing to excuse Jim Proudfoot on the basis of one glorious piece of Albion commentary back in 1997.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I confidently predict that from here on in there will be a number of competitive matches with averages ranging from 86.00 - 96.00. What there won't be is 100+ averages or blokes hitting a 9-darter and then following it up with 8 more perfect darts.

The only similarity with the PDC is that a bloke in his 50s might end up winning it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Jim Proudfoot doing some slightly more lively commentary:

[yt]S_dzAk2SOd0[/yt]

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

So, the people who like high quality darts?

The BDO will never prosper because if any of their players are able to play at a reasonable standard, they'll be off to the brighter lights and the better opponents. Whitlock is absolutely fantastic, for example, and we all know he came through the BDO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports