Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Other Darts

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The 4 player that were ment to be big that made the change last few years bearly got anywhere this years PDC world championship.
Barney
King
Webster
Thornton

Ok Barney made the semi but that his best tourney in about 4 years.
But still fair play to the BDO it's stayed to its colours and hasn't changed its like Blackpool it's a dying past of our English history.
And that else would northerner a have to do on a Sunday night that go to the BDO lol

MVG
Anderson
Whitlock
etc etc etc

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not going to happen for a while as the BBC have extended the contract until 2016.

More fool them. The present situation is like the BBC presenting Championship football as the pinnacle of the domestic football world as if the Premier League didn't exist.

The BBC get hours of coverage relatively cheaply, while the BDO can carry on with their complacent organisation without any commercial pressure to improve or, crucially, any decent increase in prize money for the sport.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
MVG
Anderson
Whitlock
etc etc etc

Nobody can deny the BDO has been a conveyor belt of talent in the past but I don't see the same quality there any more. Scotty Waites is a good player, Tony O'Shea would earn a decent living in the PDC but after that anyone else would struggle to break into the PDC Order Of Merit Top 20.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nobody can deny the BDO has been a conveyor belt of talent in the past but I don't see the same quality there any more. Scotty Waites is a good player, Tony O'Shea would earn a decent living in the PDC but after that anyone else would struggle to break into the PDC Order Of Merit Top 20.

Agreed. Also, the standard of the PDC is f***ing ridiculous now. My mate's been playing in it for a few yrs and there's a 33% chance at each floor tourno that you'll get a seed first round and almost garunteed if you don't and win you'll get one 2nd round. Also at some of the floor tournos the standard overall is even better than on TV - literally ridiculous darts on display.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
am i being a bit naive posting that ?

Not particularly but i'm intrigued to know where it's come from assuming you weren't joking! It's the sort of shit people at the BDO will come up with IMO!

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
apparently the bdo boards have thicker wires and smaller trebles and doubles.

That was sort of true for a while, the PDC started using the Eclipse Pro boards that have really thin wires, the BDO were using the old style Winmau boards that did have thicker wires, there wasn't that much in it, but enough to make a slight difference, but now they are pretty much equal with the BDO now using the Blade 4 boards.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That was sort of true for a while, the PDC started using the Eclipse Pro boards that have really thin wires, the BDO were using the old style Winmau boards that did have thicker wires, there wasn't that much in it, but enough to make a slight difference, but now they are pretty much equal with the BDO now using the Blade 4 boards.

I have about 15 Blade 4 boards available if anyone interested btw!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The point needs to be made that in the era of Bristow, Lowe and Jocky the wires WERE a lot thicker so the target was smaller and there were a lot more bounce-outs.

There's massive disparity between the averages of Taylor and Bristow in his pomp, but some of it was due to the board. You wonder how good Eric would have got if the present PDC boards and set-up had existed back then. Shame that when Taylor got to a top standard Bristow was already past his best with dartitis problems.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
The point needs to be made that in the era of Bristow, Lowe and Jocky the wires WERE a lot thicker so the target was smaller and there were a lot more bounce-outs.

There's massive disparity between the averages of Taylor and Bristow in his pomp, but some of it was due to the board. You wonder how good Eric would have got if the present PDC boards and set-up had existed back then. Shame that when Taylor got to a top standard Bristow was already past his best with dartitis problems.

Christ, the difference in wires back in the day!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bought one of Amazon about a week ago!

Why do you have so many? :lolol:

Got them from Eastbourne open last Jan! Sold about 8 or 9 to pubs round here mainly at £15 each - they are boxed and literally used once. But cant be bothered to work to shift the rest or use ebay as too much hassle to trying to get rid at the mo - see my post in the classifieds section of NSC:

Dart Boards / Fancy making a swift ebay buck?

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Got them from Eastbourne open last Jan! Sold about 8 or 9 to pubs round here mainly at £15 each - they are boxed and literally used once. But cant be bothered to work to shift the rest or use ebay as too much hassle to trying to get rid at the mo - see my post in the classifieds section of NSC:

Dart Boards / Fancy making a swift ebay buck?
Never been to that part of NSC before!

Bought a dart board last week at £17, so it should keep me going for a while, the one I had before came in a cabinet, about 5 years ago, even though I only usually get interested in darts when it's on the telly. :thumbsup:

May pop into Wisdom Sports tomorrow in HH, because they sell a few flights and darts.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Ted Hankey is a good example of a player who recently won the BDO but has been getting whooped in the PDC... (lovely rythm to his throw though)

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Paul Jennings to beat Ross Montgomery (2/1) tonight. Good value.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here