Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Other Darts

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Longer road to the final but not sure that it was harder with only the best of 3 legs rather than the PDC Best of 13 sets of 3.
to be fair BG, the shorter format is harder to win.
as I said, I played county and played a lot of top pros from the day, beating many along the way over 3 legs. I doubt if I could've beaten them over the longer format to be honest.
You've only got to get 2 bounce outs in 2 legs for example and you're beaten

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
can fully understand that but if you are unlucky to get 2 bounce outs does that make the other man the best, over the longer format it would even itself out.

phatsam99

Jul 6, 2011
The 4 player that were ment to be big that made the change last few years bearly got anywhere this years PDC world championship.
Barney
King
Webster
Thornton

Ok Barney made the semi but that his best tourney in about 4 years.
But still fair play to the BDO it's stayed to its colours and hasn't changed its like Blackpool it's a dying past of our English history.
And that else would northerner a have to do on a Sunday night that go to the BDO lol

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
can fully understand that but if you are unlucky to get 2 bounce outs does that make the other man the best, over the longer format it would even itself out.
exactly, that's why the shorter format is harder to win. the longer the game, the less chances of losing by a mistake

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
The 4 player that were ment to be big that made the change last few years bearly got anywhere this years PDC world championship.
Barney
King
Webster
Thornton

But still fair play to the BDO it's stayed to its colours and hasn't changed its like Blackpool it's a dying past of our English history.
And that else would northerner a have to do on a Sunday night that go to the BDO lol

Er, Van Gerwin switched after Barney and the same time as King and he hasn't done too badly this year !!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The BDO is so ludicrous they seed and then do an open draw. Therefore, the get a scenario where they have their No. 1 seed playing the No. 5 seed in the 1st Round. By the time you get to the semis you have a couple of jokers because they've had any easy path, making for a shit business end of the tournament.

Compare this to the PDC Q/Fs where you had pretty much the world's top 8 left in.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Just got the Dart Board out... :facepalm:

Couldn't hit shit from 2 meters out. :facepalm:
Aiming for treble twenty and I'll get nine... couldn't finish a double to save my life, I can safely say I can never criticize dart players again. :lolol:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The BDO is so ludicrous they seed and then do an open draw. Therefore, the get a scenario where they have their No. 1 seed playing the No. 5 seed in the 1st Round. By the time you get to the semis you have a couple of jokers because they've had any easy path, making for a shit business end of the tournament.

Compare this to the PDC Q/Fs where you had pretty much the world's top 8 left in.
So the BDO is done like the FA cup
And the PDC like Wimbledon.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So the BDO is done like the FA cup
And the PDC like Wimbledon.

You don't get it. What sponsor / investor / broadcaster wants to see the best players knocked out in the 1st Round? That is inevitable when seed 1 plays seed 5. Post-Olympics, the BBC might now end up with a Micky Mouse final and think "f*** this, next year we'll cover more cycling instead". And they'd probably get a bigger audience. Absolute shambles the BDO, they've not changed a thing in 25 years.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
You don't get it. What sponsor / investor / broadcaster wants to see the best players knocked out in the 1st Round? That is inevitable when seed 1 plays seed 5. Post-Olympics, the BBC might now end up with a Micky Mouse final and think "f*** this, next year we'll cover more cycling instead". And they'd probably get a bigger audience. Absolute shambles the BDO, they've not changed a thing in 25 years.
Hope so!
As much as I like Darts, prefer playing it than watching, but would love the Beeb to broadcast the Cycling, maybe even the Tour Down Under! :thumbsup:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm a massive darts fan and the best thing for darts is if the Beeb drop the darts. It would force the BDO to deal with a commercial channel who wouldn't put up with any shit. Either that or it would die on its arse. When Phil Taylor retires I'd love him to try and broker a solution to the split, with only one global darts body. If anyone could make it happen it's The Power.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Re my posting above - when I said Seeded No.1 I meant world champion. But in the BDO last year's world champ doesn't necessarily get seeded.

According to BDO mouthpiece Bobby George "it's because since winning he ain't done anything, he hasn't got out of bed." This is the same Bobby George who's son is playing his first Lakeside finals, and seeded 15.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re my posting above - when I said Seeded No.1 I meant world champion. But in the BDO last year's world champ doesn't necessarily get seeded.

According to BDO mouthpiece Bobby George "it's because since winning he ain't done anything, he hasn't got out of bed." This is the same Bobby George who's son is playing his first Lakeside finals, and seeded 15.

Which conversely rates him 15th best in the world of those taking part which is obviously ridiculous, as her hasnt entered many competitions that his record shows on Darts Mad.com.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
I'm a massive darts fan and the best thing for darts is if the Beeb drop the darts. It would force the BDO to deal with a commercial channel who wouldn't put up with any shit. Either that or it would die on its arse. When Phil Taylor retires I'd love him to try and broker a solution to the split, with only one global darts body. If anyone could make it happen it's The Power.

Not going to happen for a while as the BBC have extended the contract until 2016.

D

Deleted member 18477

Barney
King
Webster
Thornton

When Webster won his world title he beat Simon Whitlock!!! Not that bad! He also beat Barney in a 3rd place playoff in PDC 2010 world champs (not sure why they had a 3rd place playoff) and then the following year reached the semis again!

Mervyn King was doing well in most of the tournaments 3 years ago. He's not that bad!

It goes to show how good Taylor is though. To stay at the very top for all these years.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
So did Kasan but I couldn't even tell you if he's alive anymore lol

Do you mean Jelle Klaasen? If so, he's had some legal issues of the Jimmy Saville type recently which has resulted in a fine and community service, so I don't think we'll see him back in the PDC, the crowds would crucify him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No wonder the PDC finds it easy to cherry-pick any talent from this lot, the standard by comparison is appalling.

Their version of the World Number 1 has just played - on that evidence he wouldn't trouble any of the top PDC players, a big (literally, he's a fat fucker) fish in a small pond.

They don't cherry pick them - it's up to a player who he plays for or whether he wants to switch etc. PDC has a lot more money in it so that's why all the best ones end up there (bar adams who has stayed v loyal to BDO and won't even play in Grand Slam!)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Do you mean Jelle Klaasen? If so, he's had some legal issues of the Jimmy Saville type recently which has resulted in a fine and community service, so I don't think we'll see him back in the PDC, the crowds would crucify him.

Pretty sure he's already back on the floor tournos - or was due to play in one at the end of the yr for sure. I wouldn't necesarily liken his 'error' to Saville tho, when you consider the Dutch laws and the English laws and also what the offence actually was (over a mobile phone pic that was sent i believe)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here