Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Somerset sell out every home match. Our recent overseas players have been Conway (is he currently third or fourth in world ranking?), babar azam (top), gayle, pollard etc etc. A team who have been pretty strong over the life of the tournament but somehow only won it once.

Essex also been good recently and they sell out home matches.

So when you say “low interest” which counties do you mean? Attendances in the blast have risen year on year for ages despite the ecb trying to cripple it. How do you reach the conclusion that fan numbers going up means we are not attracting new fans? Why not market that property and then see it bloom? Oh I know. Because the ECB are power hungry and want to centralise everything.

So bigger attendances where they charge more for tickets and the hundred with smaller crowds (despite little live sport for 18 months) and giving away tickets is attracting new fans?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49797557 covers previous ticket sales.

This one is really good about why the lies? People in this country seem to have stopped caring about the truth and just love empty promises and spin! https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...dred-it-s-smoke-mirrors-and-gimmickry-1270805

Taunton holds 8k fans - serious difficulties if you don’t sell that out. I posted early that in 2019 attendances peaked and it worked out 7.2k per game. Take the big crowds out at Oval etc it’s a lot less. Honestly step outside the county bubble and cricket is not in a healthy place.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Taunton holds 8k fans - serious difficulties if you don’t sell that out. I posted early that in 2019 attendances peaked and it worked out 7.2k per game. Take the big crowds out at Oval etc it’s a lot less. Honestly step outside the county bubble and cricket is not in a healthy place.

Somerset are arguably the consistently strongest county side over the last few years. They make a profit. They have produced loads of players from the academy that have played for England. Our first eleven has 9/10 players from our academy. They are a brilliant model.

The attendances in hundred are not much higher than that and tickets are cheaper and loads given away!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nonsense, I got into Cricket back in the 1970's by watching Tests, since I live in Cheshire I couldn't watch First Class Games live until I got my driving licence and head up to OT .
Yes I watched 1 day stuff Gillette Cup etc. but it was always the long format which thrilled me (even when we were getting stuffed by the Convicts and Windies).

I predict that for those who find 100 balls per Innings is too much for their attention span the '50' will be announced shortly... :down:

I’m probably in your age group. My formative years were watching Somerset in the late 70s and early 80s - watched loads of 4 day games as a teenager, plus JP Sunday games and Gillette Cup. Test matches were always the top banana though….I used to lie in bed during the school holidays aiming to wake up at 10.55 to rush downstairs for the start of play.

We’re probably in a decreasing minority but it’s things like the 100 that will get more kids interested in cricket.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
What about “it’s cricket only smaller crowd”

About 13k tickets sold for lords. Surrey and Middlesex both sell out the London derby in the blast. Note “sell” they don’t give loads of tickets away and sell loads for a few quid to fill the ground. I note today’s spin is that 13k turned up to watch the women’s match when in actual fact a small crowd got bigger as the men’s match approached. I don’t get why they can’t just be honest. I assume the commentators are still pretending that before the hundred no families watched?

Losing all the test players soon too.

What a massive waste of money. Imagine if they had just supported the blast and one day cup instead.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What about “it’s cricket only smaller crowd”

About 13k tickets sold for lords. Surrey and Middlesex both sell out the London derby in the blast. Note “sell” they don’t give loads of tickets away and sell loads for a few quid to fill the ground. I note today’s spin is that 13k turned up to watch the women’s match when in actual fact a small crowd got bigger as the men’s match approached. I don’t get why they can’t just be honest. I assume the commentators are still pretending that before the hundred no families watched?

Losing all the test players soon too.

What a massive waste of money. Imagine if they had just supported the blast and one day cup instead.
I think the official BBC line is that no matter what happens, throw every superlative at it. It is only a weird made up bit of cricket but with no real geographical affiliations. If the BBC don't get the broadcasting rights next season we won't hear another word about it.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I note today’s spin is that 13k turned up to watch the women’s match when in actual fact a small crowd got bigger as the men’s match approached. I don’t get why they can’t just be honest.

I think the official BBC line is that no matter what happens, throw every superlative at it. It is only a weird made up bit of cricket but with no real geographical affiliations. If the BBC don't get the broadcasting rights next season we won't hear another word about it.

I was listening on Five Live and the mentioned that a small crowd was growing as the men's match got nearer several times.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
- watched loads of 4 day games as a teenager, .

Wow I never knew you were so young, given 4 day championship games didn't arrive until 1988 when it was a split 4 day and 3 day season for a few years before going full time with 4 day games.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Look how the hundred Twitter feed reported it. It is just bollocks

https://twitter.com/thehundred/status/1419285520237092867?s=21

"largest ever for a modern-day women's domestic match"

presumably somebody at the ECB read that tweet before it was put up, and removed the following sentence that originally followed:

"the failure to hit this figure for the last 50years is entirely down to our own utter incompetence and short sightedness in failing to engage an audience that has always existed".

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It does seem slightly contradictory to pretend that the women’s match got 13k fans but then give a refund because the men’s match did not happen. If it had been the other way then no refunds. Yet again it is the spin and dishonesty that is annoying.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I’m probably in your age group. My formative years were watching Somerset in the late 70s and early 80s - watched loads of 4 day games as a teenager, plus JP Sunday games and Gillette Cup. Test matches were always the top banana though….I used to lie in bed during the school holidays aiming to wake up at 10.55 to rush downstairs for the start of play.

We’re probably in a decreasing minority but it’s things like the 100 that will get more kids interested in cricket.

you're not in a minority of cricket lovers that love test cricket, it is still top banana, witness the attendances.

Doesn't stop us enjoying the fast forms as well though, OD, T20 100.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But that's EXACTLY the point of T20. The Beeb should have got on board with that and we'd at least have something that all the counties were involved in on Prime Time terrestrial. Instead it went to Sky and the chance passed.

Instead we have the Americanisation of the game. It's just T20 with silly rules, franchises and a fraction less drinking time.

Great.

That may be so, but its obviously different enough to the T20 to be a 'thing' in its own right.

As I said before, if it's getting cricket die-hards frothing, then it must be doing something right :lolol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That may be so, but its obviously different enough to the T20 to be a 'thing' in its own right.

As I said before, if it's getting cricket die-hards frothing, then it must be doing something right [emoji38]ol:

I don't know about doing something right - it probably is.

It is doing a lot wrong though as well.

What ever possessed them to lump Sussex into "Southern Brave" which is basically a Southampton team ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here