Lyme Regis
What. A. Game.

Incredible scenes

:ohmy:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Enjoyable game. But I'm really being put off by the silly screen (is there a warning for those with epilepsy) and the excitable Americanisation of it all.

The commentators sound like ten year olds who've fallen into a vat of Sunny D.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I saw a bit of this last night and enjoyed it. I thought it did exactly what it was intended to do – present cricket to a new/different generation in a different way than before.

I keep seeing comments from die-hard cricket fans saying how much they don't like it (or worse). To a certain extent, I think that's the point. People don't necessarily want a sporting event that lasts four days – they don't have the time or the concentration. So something like The Hundred fits the bill perfectly.

Having watched, by chance, highlights of the World Cup final (2019, super over, etc) and the Stokes/Leach match-winning partnership in two Sky Sports programmes back-to-back the night before, I thought it showed perfectly how broad cricket is now – literally something for everyone... :shrug:

Folk wanted it when they could see it. But for years they haven't.

It's difficult, cricket needed the Sky money. T20 is a good cash cow. Most folk have accepted it.

I think The Hundred is good for bringing the game to a new audience.

But after tonight I still feel torn after my positivity. The players dressed like they had lost their kit and borrowed some outfits from the jockey club. The commentators sounding like ten year olds who've fallen into a vat of Sunny D. The famous John Arlott once described a naked pitch invader as a ‘Freaker’. I suspect he would have needed a new plethora of bespoke Shakespearean words to describe this scene.

I know need to be allowed to go back to my forest and be a miserable grump for a while. I know.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Folk wanted it when they could see it. But for years they haven't.

It's difficult, cricket needed the Sky money. T20 is a good cash cow. Most folk have accepted it.

I think The Hundred is good for bringing the game to a new audience.

But after tonight I still feel torn after my positivity. The players dressed like they had lost their kit and borrowed some outfits from the jockey club. The commentators sounding like ten year olds who've fallen into a vat of Sunny D. The famous John Arlott once described a naked pitch invader as a ‘Freaker’. I suspect he would have needed a new plethora of bespoke Shakespearean words to describe this scene.

I know need to be allowed to go back to my forest and be a miserable grump for a while. I know.

You're not alone. It cheapens the game and betrays the traditions yet the quality of the cricket is very high due to the cherry picked squads.

I was lamenting the absence of senior players prior to the RLODC game earlier but seeing the youngsters featuring also provides somewhat of an unintended benefit.

Mixed feelings.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
right have now given it 3 and a bit games and as far I can see there are no improvements at all on the existing 20-20 format
The 10 5 ball nonsense adds nothing - if they wanted a shorter game just do 17-17 or even 15-15
The screen graphics are truly irritating and totally detract from the viewing experience
Just like with the IPL I have no vested interest in any team nor are likely to have and the hype and over excited commentary I find totally off putting
So apart from having games on terrestrial which the ECB could have had if not driven by taking the Sky shilling - nothing for me

So I will stick with proper cricket ......before its all killed off for good

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Enjoyable game. But I'm really being put off by the silly screen (is there a warning for those with epilepsy) and the excitable Americanisation of it all.

The commentators sound like ten year olds who've fallen into a vat of Sunny D.

I tuned if for a brief period to watch one of the games, lasted about 5 minutes before switching channels, due to the graphics. A large part of the picture hidden, it was like watching an old clip from the 70s now were the picture frame is vastly reduced. Colour scheme was just vomit inducing.

And some of the comments from people supporting this franchise shorter game are just insane. 'My daughter now knows the difference between a 4 and a 6', Could the daughter not have worked that out watching any form of cricket.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think the 100 would benefit from an extra 20 balls per innings.......oh, hang on...........................................

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I think the 100 would benefit from an extra 20 balls per innings.......oh, hang on...........................................

I actually think the length is a bonus as more games will be close (nothing worse than a one sided T20). I wouldn’t care if this replaced T20 (but then I don’t much care for T20 to be honest). To me the two are interchangeable - short game excuses for a night on the p*** with your mates, or an easier way to get young kids in to live cricket. And I know people don’t like the franchise system, but fewer sides has definitely raised the standard. The graphics and kits are horrendous. I likely won’t watch much of it, but I don’t really watch T20 either, and if it introduces more people to cricket, and brings some money in, I don’t really see a problem with it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It's just more quick cricket.

The main mystery to me is the over/ball rehash.

Commentators on both Beeb and Sky keep tripping over themselves, and you can hear the brains ticking over converting to runs per over needed.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It should have been introduced on 1st April. The whole thing is a joke. We have adequate competitions already. The only positive is that BBC have been able to secure some cricket coverage that has been denied them for a while.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It should have been introduced on 1st April. The whole thing is a joke. We have adequate competitions already. The only positive is that BBC have been able to secure some cricket coverage that has been denied them for a while.
The ticket sales would indicate otherwise. I looked earlier for the game at the Ageas on 7 August, completely sold out. Even my wife said she would like to go with the kids!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The ticket sales would indicate otherwise. I looked earlier for the game at the Ageas on 7 August, completely sold out. Even my wife said she would like to go with the kids!

The men’s matches so far had smaller crowds than surrey and warks would expect for blast matches. Worth noting that blast matches cost more to attend as well.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
The men’s matches so far had smaller crowds than surrey and warks would expect for blast matches. Worth noting that blast matches cost more to attend as well.
At those grounds perhaps, at the Ageas they are £12-£16 and up

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

The issue isn’t with Surrey, Warwickshire, M’Sex, Nottingshire, if the Blast could be 8 teams at our larger Test grounds, those 8 teams could bid for the best players in the world, you’d have a competition that would probably eclipse the IPL.

As it is, we have 18 counties with many low interest Blast games. It’s great for existing cricket fans and counties, but it’s not conducive to really pulling in those new fans. A quick 8 team competition can do that.

It’s only the Hundred because contractually it can’t compete with The Blast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here