Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hkfc and I were just chuckling at the sponsorship - Skips and Pom Bears.

But actually, it illustrates the target market and it is a damn sight better than the constant stream of betting companies on shirts.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The issue isn’t with Surrey, Warwickshire, M’Sex, Nottingshire, if the Blast could be 8 teams at our larger Test grounds, those 8 teams could bid for the best players in the world, you’d have a competition that would probably eclipse the IPL.

As it is, we have 18 counties with many low interest Blast games. It’s great for existing cricket fans and counties, but it’s not conducive to really pulling in those new fans. A quick 8 team competition can do that.

It’s only the Hundred because contractually it can’t compete with The Blast.

Somerset sell out every home match. Our recent overseas players have been Conway (is he currently third or fourth in world ranking?), babar azam (top), gayle, pollard etc etc. A team who have been pretty strong over the life of the tournament but somehow only won it once.

Essex also been good recently and they sell out home matches.

So when you say “low interest” which counties do you mean? Attendances in the blast have risen year on year for ages despite the ecb trying to cripple it. How do you reach the conclusion that fan numbers going up means we are not attracting new fans? Why not market that property and then see it bloom? Oh I know. Because the ECB are power hungry and want to centralise everything.

So bigger attendances where they charge more for tickets and the hundred with smaller crowds (despite little live sport for 18 months) and giving away tickets is attracting new fans?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49797557 covers previous ticket sales.

This one is really good about why the lies? People in this country seem to have stopped caring about the truth and just love empty promises and spin! https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...dred-it-s-smoke-mirrors-and-gimmickry-1270805

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
And the commentators keep pretending the hundred has made these players. It is absolutely nuts. These players are all good players. Why? Because counties made them good. The constant ignoring of how players end up in these matches is doing my nut.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Hkfc and I were just chuckling at the sponsorship - Skips and Pom Bears.

But actually, it illustrates the target market and it is a damn sight better than the constant stream of betting companies on shirts.

For sure. There is an adv ban on unhealthy foods but they have got around this, the govt confirming these are brands not products :shrug: how they allow betting on shirts is contemptuous though

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Ebony Rainsford-Brent on the hundred, "I'm a massive music fan", yeah right, thats why you were talking to Nasser about the half time entertainment , and said James Budd is on.:ffsparr:
Or did she mean Jake Blunt

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And the commentators keep pretending the hundred has made these players. It is absolutely nuts. These players are all good players. Why? Because counties made them good. The constant ignoring of how players end up in these matches is doing my nut.
There is a lot of bluster but that is simply not true. Nobody has said the Hundred has made these players FFS.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. The 100 is only in place for two reasons - 1) to promote the women's game and 2) to find a new audience, who they hope will be attracted by glitz and big crowds in big stadiums. Playing in front of a full house at Taunton, Chelmsford, Canterbury or Hove is great but doesn't scream "big occasion" to new fans of the sport.

People just need to lighten up over it IMO.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Well I'm having a coffee having come in from the garden hoeing a border. Apparently there is a 100 game on the TV; well I will be back hoeing the border in 10 minutes or so.

I'm not in the least bit interested in the 100 in the same way I don't give a shit about the IPL or Big Bash. I watch (and support) Sussex and England.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was skeptical at first but it’s alright. Good crowds, good atmosphere and good knockabout fun - just without the hook of properly supporting any team. No-one is forced to watch it so the curmudgeonly can continue to self-isolate at the 4 day games………

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I was skeptical at first but it’s alright. Good crowds, good atmosphere and good knockabout fun - just without the hook of properly supporting any team. No-one is forced to watch it so the curmudgeonly can continue to self-isolate at the 4 day games………

Unfortunately there won't be any 4 day games if this shite takes over, And by extension no Test Cricket either. Well done ECB.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately there won't be any 4 day games if this shite takes over, And by extension no Test Cricket either. Well done ECB.

Exactly what was being said when T20 started………

Problem is kids don’t get interested by watching test cricket……..far more chance they’ll do so watching jazzed-up short games sponsored by their favourite corn snack :)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Exactly what was being said when T20 started………

Problem is kids don’t get interested by watching test cricket……..far more chance they’ll do so watching jazzed-up short games sponsored by their favourite corn snack :)

Nonsense, I got into Cricket back in the 1970's by watching Tests, since I live in Cheshire I couldn't watch First Class Games live until I got my driving licence and head up to OT .
Yes I watched 1 day stuff Gillette Cup etc. but it was always the long format which thrilled me (even when we were getting stuffed by the Convicts and Windies).

I predict that for those who find 100 balls per Innings is too much for their attention span the '50' will be announced shortly... :down:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Still no argument presented for why hundred needed over a blast with proper marketing. As far as I can tell it is the same crowd. Blokes out for a piss up and families. It is just like the blast matches I enjoy.

It seems very odd with people pretending that all people against the hundred don’t like short form cricket. Whoever said that? None of the points I have mentioned in this thread about player development have ever been answered. People just resort to name calling and creating strawmen.

I guess most people on here respond without reading the links I posted. Just getting angry about arguments presented rather than discussing the content. Oh well. I tried to enter a proper discussion. I think I shall give up.

Re the person saying full house at Somerset doesn’t feel big. Really? It is an amazing atmosphere and the players love it. Sky used to as well until they got a new toy. Now we end up with commentators saying “players won’t have played in front of crowds like this before” when kp is commenting in a half empty edgbaston last night.

My guess. This will get a following because it is cricket and cricket is brilliant. I just don’t understand why we need to pretend 20 five ball overs is that different to 20 six ball overs. Yes they have made the scoring more complicated on the screen but other than that no one really caring about the scores and smaller crowds not much is different to blast. They should have marketed that property and done the same with the women’s t20.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It’s crap is it it? The format, the graphics and to be honest the concept. Bordering on being tedious ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Nonsense, I got into Cricket back in the 1970's by watching Tests, since I live in Cheshire I couldn't watch First Class Games live until I got my driving licence and head up to OT .
Yes I watched 1 day stuff Gillette Cup etc. but it was always the long format which thrilled me (even when we were getting stuffed by the Convicts and Windies).

I predict that for those who find 100 balls per Innings is too much for their attention span the '50' will be announced shortly... :down:

Hope you enjoyed doing your hoeing in the garden...

I enjoyed watching David Malan's superb knock

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Still no argument presented for why hundred needed over a blast with proper marketing. As far as I can tell it is the same crowd. Blokes out for a piss up and families. It is just like the blast matches I enjoy.

It seems very odd with people pretending that all people against the hundred don’t like short form cricket. Whoever said that? None of the points I have mentioned in this thread about player development have ever been answered. People just resort to name calling and creating strawmen.

I guess most people on here respond without reading the links I posted. Just getting angry about arguments presented rather than discussing the content. Oh well. I tried to enter a proper discussion. I think I shall give up.

Re the person saying full house at Somerset doesn’t feel big. Really? It is an amazing atmosphere and the players love it. Sky used to as well until they got a new toy. Now we end up with commentators saying “players won’t have played in front of crowds like this before” when kp is commenting in a half empty edgbaston last night.

My guess. This will get a following because it is cricket and cricket is brilliant. I just don’t understand why we need to pretend 20 five ball overs is that different to 20 six ball overs. Yes they have made the scoring more complicated on the screen but other than that no one really caring about the scores and smaller crowds not much is different to blast. They should have marketed that property and done the same with the women’s t20.

A full house at Taunton would be a great affair. Somerset always turned up at Hove in numbers- a great crowd. Even the ground cat has its own Twitter. They also turned up with that team.

Still, we've got 1978 on you. We'll hold that.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hope you enjoyed doing your hoeing in the garden...

I enjoyed watching David Malan's superb knock

Garden looking very nice thanks, although I'll be working in it tomorrow when I presume another of these pointless games is played?

I'll get back to watching Cricket when the Test Matches vs. India start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here