[Cricket] The Hundred

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What they've done well is to reduce the fat that has come into 20/20 games (constant fielding changes, people chatting to each other etc)

But yeh, the franchises work for the big cities quite well, but much less so for the counties. Effectively merging counties which have been rivals for 200 years, like us and Pants makes me a bit queasy

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The ticket sales would indicate otherwise. I looked earlier for the game at the Ageas on 7 August, completely sold out. Even my wife said she would like to go with the kids!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You should try again because I just added 2 adults and three kids to my basket. But then deleted it so you can have them.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Right, on the "If you can't beat 'em join 'em" principle I'm going to get involved. Firstly I had to find a team to support. I simply cannot support 'Southern Brave' as firstly they're based in Hampshire and secondly their name is beyond stupid. So I though of following the other 'local' side based at the Oval, but their name, whilst being less stupid, is also too stupid for me to associate with. So I've decided to support Trent Rockets as I quite like that name. To my mind 'Trent Rocket' sounds like a 1930s American detective, or perhaps a 1970s Glam Rocker.

So now I have my team I can be a true plastic fan. I shan't go to their games, (or even watch them on TV), but if people could post their results in this thread I'd be grateful. How are we doing btw?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Right, on the "If you can't beat 'em join 'em" principle I'm going to get involved. Firstly I had to find a team to support. I simply cannot support 'Southern Brave' as firstly they're based in Hampshire and secondly their name is beyond stupid. So I though of following the other 'local' side based at the Oval, but their name, whilst being less stupid, is also too stupid for me to associate with. So I've decided to support Trent Rockets as I quite like that name. To my mind 'Trent Rocket' sounds like a 1930s American detective, or perhaps a 1970s Glam Rocker.

So now I have my team I can be a true plastic fan. I shan't go to their games, (or even watch them on TV), but if people could post their results in this thread I'd be grateful. How are we doing btw?

Nice try - we all KNOW you chose them because they won last night. Extra plastic points for you :) Have you bought a 'Skips' shirt yet ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

They missed a trick not having a team called the "London Lords".

Or even better the "Lords Lords".

I'd definitely be an armchair plastic fan of one of these.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Nice try - we all KNOW you chose them because they won last night. Extra plastic points for you :) Have you bought a 'Skips' shirt yet ?
We did? Woo hoo! Great! All those years of hurt when we were rubbish are finally behind us. Go Rockets! Great news for all us loyal fans who stuck with the team through the bad times; now watch a load of plastics jump on the bandwaggon.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I did watch a bit at the weekend, the Southern Braves as the err....local boys. Just could not engage with it. Too hurried, horrendous on screen graphics and too much of a forced jollity about it all.

I can see why the ECB did this, despite my grumblings the ticket sales have been decent in large arenas, and the viewing figures (thanks to terrestrial coverage! who knew?). It is however cricket for people that do not like cricket so they may create a new audience for this but as someone who already likes cricket I can live with without it.

This is the result of the ECBs folly in not negotiating terrestrial coverage for other aspects of the game. If T20 was on the BBC The Hundred would not exist. I am however delighted that I can get to watch the country championship, T20 and RLC on YouTube so that at least is something.

If you enjoy The Hundred, fill your boots, each to their own and all that, I'll give it a miss.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I did watch a bit at the weekend, the Southern Braves as the err....local boys. Just could not engage with it. Too hurried, horrendous on screen graphics and too much of a forced jollity about it all.

I can see why the ECB did this, despite my grumblings the ticket sales have been decent in large arenas, and the viewing figures (thanks to terrestrial coverage! who knew?). It is however cricket for people that do not like cricket so they may create a new audience for this but as someone who already likes cricket I can live with without it.

This is the result of the ECBs folly in not negotiating terrestrial coverage for other aspects of the game. If T20 was on the BBC The Hundred would not exist. I am however delighted that I can get to watch the country championship, T20 and RLC on YouTube so that at least is something.

If you enjoy The Hundred, fill your boots, each to their own and all that, I'll give it a miss.

It's a good point, but I don't think a free-to-air broadcaster would be interested in The Blast because it is just too many fixtures, many with not much riding on it, or with many fans in the ground. For a subscription broadcaster with dedicated sports channels, they simply have hours to fill, and so can happily bid big money for coverage, even if that means low viewing figures.

What the IPL, PSL, Big Bash show everyone is a limited team (6 or 8) competition with the best players in the world with a reduced number of fixtures creates excitement for a short time frame competition.

For all it's positives to the Counties, the T20 Blast is just too big. It now dominates most counties thinking, when for the sake of the longer game and England Test and ODI teams, The Championship and One Day Cup should be their priorities. Our England T20 players are all getting enough T20 experience at other franchises.

Ultimately I'd love to see the Counties concentrate on 4 day games and one day, let those fixtures spread though most of the season, so a T20 or Hundred format just overlaps so we get more longer form cricket for a longer period of the summer.

We have to do something to invest in the long form of the game. On the face of it introducing the Hundred is counter to that, but I think the long term aim will be to wrestle T20 from the counties.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

You mean like the Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins ? Right, I’m off to Hove (or is it somewhere in Hampshire ?) to protest.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One question - do we, as Sussex fans, support southern what they called?

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Given the huge success of the first week I think we can expect to see a couple of expansion teams next year or the year following to supplement and spread the sides. One I would expect will be in the South West to engage supporters of Somerset/Gloucestershire and minor SW counties and one in the North, possibly Durham or even Edinburgh.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
It's a good point, but I don't think a free-to-air broadcaster would be interested in The Blast because it is just too many fixtures, many with not much riding on it, or with many fans in the ground. For a subscription broadcaster with dedicated sports channels, they simply have hours to fill, and so can happily bid big money for coverage, even if that means low viewing figures.

What the IPL, PSL, Big Bash show everyone is a limited team (6 or 8) competition with the best players in the world with a reduced number of fixtures creates excitement for a short time frame competition.

For all it's positives to the Counties, the T20 Blast is just too big. It now dominates most counties thinking, when for the sake of the longer game and England Test and ODI teams, The Championship and One Day Cup should be their priorities. Our England T20 players are all getting enough T20 experience at other franchises.

Ultimately I'd love to see the Counties concentrate on 4 day games and one day, let those fixtures spread though most of the season, so a T20 or Hundred format just overlaps so we get more longer form cricket for a longer period of the summer.

We have to do something to invest in the long form of the game. On the face of it introducing the Hundred is counter to that, but I think the long term aim will be to wrestle T20 from the counties.

It's just occurred to me that the Blast attendance figure of c. 7000 per game quoted previously on this thread presumably doesn't allow for games that are rained off entirely, or are so heavily affected that the majority of the crowd stays away. I would guess that it probably doesn't include members either, who at some counties get Blast admission included.

Anyway, there's no reason from the free to air broadcaster's point of view why they wouldn't want to show some blast matches, just as the BBC aren't showing most of the Hundred matches. A full house at a compact ground like Taunton or Chelmsford probably has a better atmosphere and feel to it than the larger grounds anyway.

The reason why free-to-air broadcasters won't show the T20 blast is because that would reduce the value of the TV rights, so the ECB would make less money.

Ultimately playing a T20 (or the hundred) at the same time as a first class or list A competition will always relegate the latter to second tier status, with players missing (on top of England call ups) and lower quality and interest. The only way this is going to go is booting 4 day and 50 over cricket further down everybody's list of priorities until it's basically just all minor counties cricket (or whatever that's called nowadays).

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have the luxury of being able to pick the likeliest winner and then become armchair fans of that side ???

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

No. That was the point I was making earlier in the thread. We don't have a dog in this fight, we're a minor county, so we can support whoever we like. Regardless of the format (and at one stage they were talking about a similar franchise-based system but playing Twenty20) I personally cannot bring myself to support a Hampshire-based team. Others however feel differently.

EDIT: And the fact the Southern team are using Sussex players makes no difference to me. If Brighton were still outside the Premier League I wouldn't support Palace or Southampton in the Premier League just because they signed our best players.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sussex man gets Sussex man out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports